Injury Report: Shattenkirk (week-to-week)

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
I'd be shocked if they played him that much right off the bat. They'll likely want to ease him back into the speed of the game, especially at this time of the year. He'll probably get a decent amount of PP time. This is all just my guess, of course.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I'd be shocked if they played him that much right off the bat. They'll likely want to ease him back into the speed of the game, especially at this time of the year. He'll probably get a decent amount of PP time. This is all just my guess, of course.

It would make sense, but that's not usually Hitch's gameplan. He has said before that if a player is healthy enough to be in the lineup, he's healthy enough to play significant minutes(paraphrasing of course). He was referring to Michalek most recently(concussion), so it's possible that he takes it slow with Shatty due to the nature of this injury. I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see him out there for 20+ minutes tomorrow.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Shattenkirk is with Jackman on the 3rd pairing

I think this could be the pairing for the post-season, too. A lot depends on Michalek's speed at getting acclimated.

I think Pietro/Bouw is a given, though Gunnarson is a possibility there too.
Shattenkirk/Jackman
Michalek/Gunnarson - some question marks here, and its not impossible to imagine Bouw and Gunnarson swapping spots.

I'd imagine the 2nd/3rd pairings getting similar minutes, with Shattenkirk getting a lot of PP time. Pietro/Bouw getting 25-30 minutes.

jpw1910

Nov 7, 2013
Chicago, IL
I think this could be the pairing for the post-season, too. A lot depends on Michalek's speed at getting acclimated.

I think Pietro/Bouw is a given, though Gunnarson is a possibility there too.
Shattenkirk/Jackman
Michalek/Gunnarson - some question marks here, and its not impossible to imagine Bouw and Gunnarson swapping spots.

I'd imagine the 2nd/3rd pairings getting similar minutes, with Shattenkirk getting a lot of PP time. Pietro/Bouw getting 25-30 minutes.

I actually would like to keep pietro and gun together - but you're probably right.

I'd go:

4-27
19-22
4-6

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
I actually would like to keep pietro and gun together - but you're probably right.

I'd go:

4-27
19-22
4-6

I'd rather Shatty goes back with Gunny, Bo with Michalek/Bort, and Pie with Jax or 41. I'm really liking both our D pickups, and I really think the boys could really use Bortuzzo's game when the PO's arrive.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Thank God he's back. Even Shattenkirk at 10% could hit the net and run a powerplay better than Pietrangelo and all those other idiots on defense.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Ignoring the hyperbole, I do think there are enough games for Shattenkirk to get back into decent form. Hitchcock is going to need to settle on his pairings pretty soon though, to give adequate time for guys to get comfortable. I'll be watching Michalek closely....as he's not nearly good enough yet to be counted on in the post-season.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I don't see why they need to stray from

Gunnarsson Pietrangelo
Bouwmeester Michalek
Jackman Shattenkirk

All 3 pairings have a go to puck mover. Bouwmeester really started to look bad playing a defensive dman. He looks much better with Michalek...and he'll actually shoot the puck too. Bouwmeester easily makes up for Michalek's slow foot speed.

Gunnarsson is somewhat more physical when paired with Pietrangelo, and Pie has started playing some of his best hockey with Gunnarsson.

Jackman and Shattenkirk can simply be used to abuse lesser pairings and with Shattenkirk's ability to move the puck, jackman won't get hemmed in.

All 3 pairings are capable of playing 20min+. This just looks better then any set up

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I don't see why they need to stray from

Gunnarsson Pietrangelo
Bouwmeester Michalek
Jackman Shattenkirk

All 3 pairings have a go to puck mover. Bouwmeester really started to look bad playing a defensive dman. He looks much better with Michalek...and he'll actually shoot the puck too. Bouwmeester easily makes up for Michalek's slow foot speed.

Gunnarsson is somewhat more physical when paired with Pietrangelo, and Pie has started playing some of his best hockey with Gunnarsson.

Jackman and Shattenkirk can simply be used to abuse lesser pairings and with Shattenkirk's ability to move the puck, jackman won't get hemmed in.

All 3 pairings are capable of playing 20min+. This just looks better then any set up

I agree with you. I just expect Hitchcock to revert to Bouw/Pietro based on last season. My preference is that he does what you've outlined. Maybe he's smart enough to see it too.

I don't see another D corps in the league that looks as solid as this group, when healthy. I'm starting to get this familiar dread of optimism headed into the post-season.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Yea, I'd be fine If Bouwmeester played like he did last year, but those 2 just aren't clicking this year. It's been evident when he put those 2 together, something is off big time this year and we need Pietrangelo to be in Norris form

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Those pairings would be fine. I haven't been impressed with Gunnarsson at all lately though. I really wish Lindbohm wasn't a rookie because I'd like him in there, but hopefully next year.

Honestly though, I wouldn't be opposed to sitting Berglund OR Jaskin and rolling 7 'D' in certain games. I personally think we don't really need both of them in the lineup all the time, especially since Jaskin is a rookie and I'm not sure how much of an impact he'll make (and I really have no confidence in Berglund at all). Gives you a chance to get the 4th-line more involved, and shift Tarasenko with Stastny some.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Hitch said Jaskin still is having a hard time managing his energy. He's either 100% or gassed. So I've got to agree...I question just how good he can be in a series.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Hitch said Jaskin still is having a hard time managing his energy. He's either 100% or gassed. So I've got to agree...I question just how good he can be in a series.

They'll need Jaskin's energy and physicality over the course of the post-season, but not necessarily every night.

I'm not sure what Jokinen can contribute. Its hard to count against a veteran guy like that, who knows all the tricks. Also, where does Porter fit in?

I think Hitchcock has a lot of pieces to play with here. Its a chance to really shine as a coach.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Porter is money in the POs lol. Seriously those fill in guys are always good for a goal. If we play the Hawks. Game one I want life miserable for Toews. Let him and the rest of the team know it'll be blow for blow if they pull what they did last year.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I agree with you. I just expect Hitchcock to revert to Bouw/Pietro based on last season. My preference is that he does what you've outlined. Maybe he's smart enough to see it too.

I don't see another D corps in the league that looks as solid as this group, when healthy. I'm starting to get this familiar dread of optimism headed into the post-season.
If we play a one line team, then I would load up. If not, then I do:
Gunn/Petro
Bo/Michalek
Jax/Shat

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
To ease Shatty back in the lineup:
Gunnar-Petro
Bouw-Michalek
Jax-Shatty
Toss Bortuzzo in there for Michalek if/when more grit/nastiness is needed

Once Shatty is up to speed:
Gunnar-Petro
Bouw-Shatty
Jax-Michalek
Toss Bortuzzo in there for Michalek if/when more grit/nastiness is needed

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands

Boumeester is clearly not healthy. He loses all his races to the puck, and plays ultra conservatively, seemingly worried about re-injuring himself, or worsening his injury. If he's paired with Pietrangelo, playing 25 minutes on the top defensive pairings, he'll be more exposed to the most highly-skilled forwards of opponent teams, who can better take advantage of hick lack of mobility. In addition, he'd be hard-pressed to defend on the many 2-on-1s that result from Pietrangelo getting caught deep in the opponent's end, because he plays like an extra forward. At least Gunnarsson can get back with some speed. Good skaters could often go right around Bouwmeester (in his present condition) and get a 2 on 0 (and lots more dangerous scoring opportunities).

I'd feel better with Pietrangelo and Gunnarsson on the #1 shift. After that, I'm not sure what I'd do. The same problem would exist in a Bouwmeester-Shattenkirk pairing. I'm not thrilled with Jackman -Michalek. Jackman-Shattenkirk is okay for the 3rd pairing. Bouwmeester-Michalek is also not very good with Bouwmeester hurt. But, I guess that might be a combo to start as 2nd shift, and see if it is adequate, at least to defend.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Boumeester is clearly not healthy. He loses all his races to the puck, and plays ultra conservatively, seemingly worried about re-injuring himself, or worsening his injury. If he's paired with Pietrangelo, playing 25 minutes on the top defensive pairings, he'll be more exposed to the most highly-skilled forwards of opponent teams, who can better take advantage of hick lack of mobility. In addition, he'd be hard-pressed to defend on the many 2-on-1s that result from Pietrangelo getting caught deep in the opponent's end, because he plays like an extra forward. At least Gunnarsson can get back with some speed. Good skaters could often go right around Bouwmeester (in his present condition) and get a 2 on 0 (and lots more dangerous scoring opportunities).

I'd feel better with Pietrangelo and Gunnarsson on the #1 shift. After that, I'm not sure what I'd do. The same problem would exist in a Bouwmeester-Shattenkirk pairing. I'm not thrilled with Jackman -Michalek. Jackman-Shattenkirk is okay for the 3rd pairing. Bouwmeester-Michalek is also not very good with Bouwmeester hurt. But, I guess that might be a combo to start as 2nd shift, and see if it is adequate, at least to defend.

If Bouwmeester is that ineffective, he should not be playing. I don't think he's been as bad as that in recent games, though I agree his speed is not there like it normally is.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
If Bouwmeester is that ineffective, he should not be playing. I don't think he's been as bad as that in recent games, though I agree his speed is not there like it normally is.

If tonight we'll see Jbo - Michalek pair, there is one handicapped and one guy who is normally slow. Ofc Columbus won't show reality, teams like Chi and Wild will do it.

sbet1998

Feb 12, 2012
If tonight we'll see Jbo - Michalek pair, there is one handicapped and one guy who is normally slow. Ofc Columbus won't show reality, teams like Chi and Wild will do it.

Columbus is playing pretty well, though they are on a b2b after routing CHI last night.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I am genuinely wondering if Jbo should be playing. I think he may have come back too early, and I'm not sure if his type of injury is the kind that one "plays through", or simply rests. (Perhaps those posters who know more about sports medicine can help us out here?) I wouldn't mind seeing Jbo sit for the rest of the season on IR and put Lindbohm in, if the NHL would allow it.

SneakerPimp82

Apr 5, 2003
Saint Louis, MO

Another possibility is that fixing whatever this hypothetical injury is would require season-ending surgery, and so Bouw and team management collectively decided that Bouw at 70% or so is better than no Bouw at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad