Injury Report: Shattenkirk (week-to-week)

PitchDoug

Nov 27, 2011
Per JR:
Shattenkirk will have surgery in 7-10 days and then be out week-to-week. He was injured in Sunday's 4-3 win over Washington. #stlblues

BREAKING: #stlblues announce that All-Star defenseman Kevin Shattenkirk will have surgery to correct an abdominal injury

:cry:

Last edited by a moderator:

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Mark-Cuban-disbelief.gif

SweetyV

Apr 27, 2014
Damn. Sucks for my team, double for my fantasy team. Have a 22ish point lead over 2nd place and it's coming down to the final stretch here.

PitchDoug

Nov 27, 2011
I'm using my non-existent medical degree here, but I'd guess its a type of sports hernia.

From Wiki: symptoms include pain during sports movements, particularly hip extension, and twisting and turning. This pain usually radiates to the adductor muscle region and even the testicles, although it is often difficult for the patient to pin-point the exact location.

Which goes on to discuss that an athlete can typically return to sport 6-12 weeks after surgery.

Not good. That timeline makes it questionable Shatty could return in the regular season.

Again, I'm completely speculating here. Abdominal surgery is the ONLY thing that I've seen released, which could mean many things.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
week to week? what does that mean???? 2-3 weeks???? 6-8 weeks??? etc.. haha what is it? I wish they were more specific

So is that pretty much Hernia surgery?

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Cole, Butler, and Lindbohm need to step up. Not the end of the world. Wish he could get into the surgeon sooner though.

Kreegz2

Dec 11, 2011
We're deep enough to sustain while he is gone. I just hope he can regain his form in the playoffs.

BergMan

Mar 31, 2009
Brooklyn
Damn I thought he had an outside bid at the Norris. Rest of the d has a lot of slack to pick up, shatty was playing phenomenally.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
4 weeks after surgery would be my guess. He's in peak physical condition. If they do laparoscopic surgery, he could be back sooner. But with how vigorous his activity is....it may be a full month

PitchDoug

Nov 27, 2011
We're deeper among forwards then on the blueline. This will really hurt the powerplay I'm afraid. No good replacement for Shattenkirk. Sucks

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
I hope they shift Oshie to the back end on one of the PP units. He has been good there in the past and it would be much better than Butler or something. Plus it gives a right handed shot from the point. Maybe do Steen-Petro then Oshie-Cole

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
Yea this sucks, he was having such a great season, what a shame. As others said lets just hpe he can get back into form for the playoffs. Any updates on Bergy or Lehtera?

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I hope they shift Oshie to the back end on one of the PP units. He has been good there in the past and it would be much better than Butler or something. Plus it gives a right handed shot from the point. Maybe do Steen-Petro then Oshie-Cole
Oshie had some great shots from the point last game. Hard, got through and on goal. He did have a tendency to elevate them off the ice quite a bit though. We can afford more injuries, so that deserves consideration.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I agree with this. Oshie is a calming presence with the puck and handles it similar to Shattenkirk.

Our powerplay will take a blow but we'll make the playoffs so I'm not too concerned about the rest of the regular season, just feel bad for the guy because he was playing so good. But yeah this will be an opportunity for Cole, Butler and Lindbohm to all get some playing time and make a case for their futures here.

Hopefully Shatty will be back for the playoffs which I think he will.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad