Eklund Rumor: Shattenkirk talks heating up. Krejci involved??

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
The real problem is that other threads are allowed to have a conversation about the reliability of a source, but Eklund threads aren't.

Someone can come into a CBJ thread and ask "Is this Aaron Portzline guy legit?" and others will say "he is the best source for Jackets news, and never says anything that isn't ironclad." That is a-ok. No one complains because the source has a bearing on the validity of the rumor. It should be discussed.

But if a certain other insider post's a rumor, and people (rightly or wrongly) were to describe him as a "miserable, talentless, con-artist who can't even come up with a credible sounding lie," or "the journalistic equivalent of a streetwalker or a seller of snake oil," then suddenly the source isn't up for discussion.

Anywhoo.. I don't believe this Eklund rumor because I don't think the value is correct.

Except that isn't even close to the case.

You'll notice the first 2 replies are critical of the source, but also contribute to the discussion and are left there. The problem is that people come into threads about Eklund rumours to do nothing but complain about the source. Whether people like it or not, others want to discuss this stuff. If posts aren't contributing then they'll get deleted.

I can't believe this needs to be constantly spelt out.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Except that isn't even close to the case.

You'll notice the first 2 replies are critical of the source, but also contribute to the discussion and are left there. The problem is that people come into threads about Eklund rumours to do nothing but complain about the source. Whether people like it or not, others want to discuss this stuff. If posts aren't contributing then they'll get deleted.

I can't believe this needs to be constantly spelt out.

It is absolutely the case. Other threads that have trade rumors based on a tweet from a little known reporter get responses asking "who is this guy" and nothing else. Then replies saying "he is/isn't a good source" and nothing else.

Threads about lastwordonsports articles get responses saying "these guys are/arent very good" and nothing else.

Threads about NHL.com articles get coments saying only "groan!" about a pun in the title, and nothing else.

But if someone groans about Eklund there is a tidal wave of moderators saying to leave it alone.

There is a reason "consider the source" is a well known quote. And the source of a rumor is a legitimate a point in the thread conversation.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
It is absolutely the case. Other threads that have trade rumors based on a tweet from a little known reporter get responses asking "who is this guy" and nothing else. Then replies saying "he is/isn't a good source" and nothing else.

Threads about lastwordonsports articles get responses saying "these guys are/arent very good" and nothing else.

Threads about NHL.com articles get coments saying only "groan!" about a pun in the title, and nothing else.

But if someone groans about Eklund there is a tidal wave of moderators saying to leave it alone.

There is a reason "consider the source" is a well known quote. And the source of a rumor is a legitimate a point in the thread conversation.
Again, questioning the source is not a problem as long as it's done in a way that actually contributes to the conversation. If it's not doing that, it's just spam/OT crap that clutters things up for those who are actually interested in discussing something.

Another thing to consider is the scope of the problem. Moderators have better things to do than clean up every last post that falls short of our standards in some way (every post that contains just a smiley, or just an image, or just a meme, or everything that's OT, etc.).

We're volunteers with a finite amount of time, and that time is best spent dealing with the most significant problems we can. A couple of "groan" type posts about a pun that the conversation moves right on past isn't going to move the needle for us nearly as much as thread where every other post is actively derailing the conversation...which is what we routinely find in Eklund threads.

This particular discussion is now derailing this thread as well, so it ends here. If you have any further questions you can send me a PM.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
So anyway...back to the actual topic.

Here's what Blues beat writer Jeremy Rutherford said today about Shatty:

The rumors have been hot and heavy, and I do think there's something to it. Armstrong was in Toronto for the GM meetings and I understand that he did have trade talks. I can't confirm that they strictly involved Shattenkirk, but he had talks. Furthermore, Armstrong was not at last night's Blues-Sharks game. He is on the road and I believe out East. Also, I believe Brodeur is headed to Boston to catch up with a couple of Blues' prospects this weekend. The Bruins host Winnipeg on Saturday, so there's that. Krejci is a name that I've heard is a possibility. He's got a cap hit of $7.25 million, so the Blues would have to make it work financially. The Bruins, or any team that the Blues talk to about Shattenkirk, would likely contact his agent about an extension and I don't believe that's happened yet. But I would pay attention to anything you hear about Shattenkirk and Boston.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hock...tent=E3C94A6B91A0A70BC43A41FF55326604055E75F5

tjung0831

Sep 17, 2008
St. Charles Missouri
So Blues beatwriter Jeremy Rutherford mentioned in his recent chat that something is definitely up with the Blues and Bruins. Krejci just makes no sense so it would have to be a bigger trade but he said to keep an eye on this because there is definitely something up.

satbank

Jan 11, 2014
Given the lack of offense the Bruins has should they really be moving Krejci? I don't think adding Shattenkirk will offset losing Krejci.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Krejci, when healthy, is a clutch, playoff beast. One of the best in the NHL. I would argue that there is NOTHING that STL needs more than a clutch playoff beast.

Jeffro

Oct 20, 2007
Can Bouwmeester be had? Roster player + pick?

I'm sure he could, but I doubt the player would be particularly interesting.

Blues made a weird AHL swap for a defenseman today. Edmundson and Bortuzzo are both close and Lindbohm will be going back. Not sure why they need the extra D.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Can Bouwmeester be had? Roster player + pick?

Only problem is we don't have player who could take his spot. Gunnar isn't any near of playing top minutes and opponent. Parayko can play top2 minutes and opponent, but in his off-side would hurt his developement. Same goes with Pietro who did play on his off-side World Cup, but you shouldn't put your best dmen on his off-side.

Ofc if Jbo could be moved if bring back top2 dmen, but it wouldn't make any sense woulnd't it?

We have in the pipeline Dunn and Walman, but they might be ready in best case scenario in to Jbo's spot when Jbo could just walk away when his contract ends, but trading Jbo currently what we have would be 'shoot in your own leg' - move.

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
Like to see the Blues get younger instead of Krejci.

I really don't understand that way of thinking, I mean wouldn't you rather win in the playoffs? That's the goal right? The Blues have a lot of the pieces it takes to win, it seems to me that Krejci is exactly the type of guy they would need.

I understand wanting to get younger but not at the expense of getting better when the team is not that far away from being a real threat to win a cup.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
So Blues beatwriter Jeremy Rutherford mentioned in his recent chat that something is definitely up with the Blues and Bruins. Krejci just makes no sense so it would have to be a bigger trade but he said to keep an eye on this because there is definitely something up.

Maybe something around Shattenkirk+Berglund for Krejci, That's the only way i see Krejci fitting into St Louis salary cap.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Maybe something around Shattenkirk+Berglund for Krejci, That's the only way i see Krejci fitting into St Louis salary cap.

I think if it were that easy it would be done by now. Those pieces seem to fit, but it feels like we have been talking about it for close to 5 months. There must be something else to it.

Been wondering if part of the delay was Schmaltz being injured. He returned to action this weekend.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Given the lack of offense the Bruins has should they really be moving Krejci? I don't think adding Shattenkirk will offset losing Krejci.

Krejci is extremely overrated, honest Bruins fans will admit it. Getting out of that contract would be a bonus.

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
Krejci is extremely overrated, honest Bruins fans will admit it. Getting out of that contract would be a bonus.

I feel I am pretty honest and I think Krejci is extremely underrated. "Getting out of that contract" makes them a worse team, I don't see any way around that. Not only will Krejci score with the best of them in the playoffs but he is great defensively as well. Krejci handles Crosby while Bergeron handles Malkin and for the last few years they have really been the better pair head to head. You are not going to get a player like Krejci for less than his current salary, it is how much players like him get paid.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I don't see Krejci waiving.

If Krejci doesn't waive, tough to see how Bruins afford it without Spooner + two of Beleksey, McQuaid and Kevan Miller having new addresses.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
I would assume that for if the rumors are true and this has been talked about numerous times by both teams that Krejci has already been asked if he would wave and agreed to it. Otherwise it's a total waste of time for either team to even talk about it.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I would assume that for if the rumors are true and this has been talked about numerous times by both teams that Krejci has already been asked if he would wave and agreed to it. Otherwise it's a total waste of time for either team to even talk about it.
This would make sense. It would certainly be foolish for the Blues to work out a deal only to find out that Krejci would veto it in half a second.

Even if they don't get a verbal "yes", I'd think they would know it's at least a "maybe" that Krejci would consider it when the time comes.

I already made a post about it on the Blues board but people try to analyze these things way too much. A player may have a NMC and like where he's at, but there are still plenty of reasons he could waive it. This whole "but he's married to a Boston girl" blah blah blah, this guy is a professional hockey player. These families should know he can move on at some point. He's not the only one in this position. Things happen.

As a Blues fan Krejci is probably the best return we could possibly get for Shattenkirk at this point. People can complain about his cap hit or whatever, but it's time to stop being so picky. I'd definitely try hard to get this done if I'm Doug Armstrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad