Eklund Rumor: Shattenkirk talks heating up. Krejci involved??

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
For the Bruins, that would be robbing Peter to pay Paul. They'd shore up their D but they'd be thinning their O.

Shatty would be tied for 2nd on your team in points. I do not see a trade without DK involved. Mostly because of cap issues. Assuming you make a move for Shatty, $$$ from resign him have to come from some where. Couldn't just trade spooner and futures and then hope to resign him, give pastornek a raise.

Cap makes it tough. I just wonder if it was so easy, why isn't it done. Or are they waiting until Wednesday.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
For the Bruins, that would be robbing Peter to pay Paul. They'd shore up their D but they'd be thinning their O.
Well you're going to need to trade something, it's not like you're getting a good defenseman for dog crap. And you also signed Backes in the offseason who isn't a bad guy to have behind Bergeron.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
A guy like Shattenkirk was supposed to be a bridge to Carlo, McAvoy, Zboril, etc being ready... Carlo being ready faster than expected changes the calculus a lot. The Bruins right now are not only amongst the league leaders in GAA, but also in danger area shot prevention...its not just Rask. Carlo stepping in for Zach "can't get an NHL job" Trotman on the 1st pair has a lot to do with that, but so does the improved play of Joe Morrow and Colin Miller at the bottom of the roster.

Next season, the Bruins have Carlo, McAvoy, Kevan Miller, Adam McQuaid, Colin Miller and Rob O'Gara fighting for 3 RD spots. Shattenkirk is better than all those guys. But, with Carlo and McAvoy guaranteed spots, I don't see the Bruins paying 5.25 million bucks for Kevan Miller and McQuaid to sit in the press box.

Now, you could argue the Bruins could move out Kevan Miller and McQuaid as decent d-men signed for 3 x 2.5 and 2 x 2.75 after this season respectively... but at that point the Bruins don't need to move out Krejci to make Shattenkirk's $$$ work.

STL checking out BU games would further add to the idea that Krejci wouldn't be involved.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
A guy like Shattenkirk was supposed to be a bridge to Carlo, McAvoy, Zboril, etc being ready... Carlo being ready faster than expected changes the calculus a lot. The Bruins right now are not only amongst the league leaders in GAA, but also in danger area shot prevention...its not just Rask. Carlo stepping in for Zach "can't get an NHL job" Trotman on the 1st pair has a lot to do with that, but so does the improved play of Joe Morrow and Colin Miller at the bottom of the roster.

Next season, the Bruins have Carlo, McAvoy, Kevan Miller, Adam McQuaid, Colin Miller and Rob O'Gara fighting for 3 RD spots. Shattenkirk is better than all those guys. But, with Carlo and McAvoy guaranteed spots, I don't see the Bruins paying 5.25 million bucks for Kevan Miller and McQuaid to sit in the press box.

Now, you could argue the Bruins could move out Kevan Miller and McQuaid as decent d-men signed for 3 x 2.5 and 2 x 2.75 after this season respectively... but at that point the Bruins don't need to move out Krejci to make Shattenkirk's $$$ work.

STL checking out BU games would further add to the idea that Krejci wouldn't be involved.

I would say its ambitious to guarantee first or second year pros... top 4 spots on the blueline. we see in Edmonton right now how even very talented kids like darnell nurse can look good for 15-20 games in a rookie season and then need to play protected mins the next year as development ebbs and flows.

that said... my concerns with shattenkirk aren't about this year or next year. he would clearly help this year. if he was willing to sign a 1 year extension, he would also help next year. and I dare say he would be a huge help the next year after that too. in no way am I slagging on shattenkirk as a help. I think almost any team in the nhl would be real happy with him in their second pairing.

the problem becomes... to get shattenkirk to resign is going to require a 6-7 year contract. and by the time 3-4 years rolls around then carlo/mcavoy will be cheaper/better options for boston to manage the cap with

if we give up a very good asset to get shattenkirk and then have to pay him a huge guaranteed deal... will we get our investment back later when shattenkirk is bumped down to 3rd pairing guy?

people might say... we could trade shattenkirk... but once he has a 7 mill contract how valuable will he be in a trade? to me shattenkirk looks a lot like a young brian Campbell when Campbell left buffalo he was the toast of the nhl. then Chicago signed him and suddenly he was worthless in a trade.

makes me very nervous to take shattenkirk for the long term. id rather trade for someone else that's on a 2-3 year contract if I felt it was necessary to bring in someone.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003

Tage Thompson is the top Blues prospect. He played for uconn. Could have been a coincidence. Ut I just wanted to toss that out. Walman was also playing for against northeastern.

It inthink if there is a trade it will happen Wednesday so the players don't have to play former teammates in the first game after the trade.

I also think this will be a bigger deal the. 1:1 for salary reasons.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Tage Thompson is the top Blues prospect. He played for uconn. Could have been a coincidence. Ut I just wanted to toss that out. Walman was also playing for against northeastern.

It inthink if there is a trade it will happen Wednesday so the players don't have to play former teammates in the first game after the trade.

I also think this will be a bigger deal the. 1:1 for salary reasons.

Yep, we have prospects that Brodeur was going to see, it wasn't necessarily a scouting trip for a trade. Although, if we got Forsbacka-Karlsson in a deal, I wouldn't complain about it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad