Proposal: Shattenkirk or Fowler to NJD

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Obviously! First off Hudler is a UFA so there is no deal of Fowler/Hudler. The point was they need a #1 left winger. If they are not going to trade for this winger they need to look at UFAs

Hudler is one of tha last ones left with anywhere near what they would probably be looking at. The followup part to that is Hudler is not signed because he probably wants A. Some term (more than1) which every term probably does not want to do B. A huge salary to go with the term.

You're still missing the point.

Regardless of salary cost, just because Anaheim is interested in Hudler doesn't mean that they would have been willing to trade Fowler for him. You're trying to extrapolate some willingness to move Fowler for Cammalleri simply because they might be interested in Hudler. That isn't how it works.

I get that you'd probably love to see Anaheim get ripped off in this deal, but your argument for why Anaheim makes this deal is pretty ridiculous. Anaheim has no interest in moving one of their top D for an older player, who seems to struggle to stay healthy right now. You aren't getting a prime asset for him. For a lesser asset? Sure, I suspect Anaheim would be willing to talk, but Cam Fowler? No way in hell. Anaheim would be better off keeping Fowler, and looking for alternatives, while knowing that they have a damn good blue line, and one of the best shutdown lines in the league. They aren't in a position where they should be getting screwed in a deal. Their strength last season was a good all-around defensive game. Why would they have a problem heading into this season with that as the strength again?

Thanks, but no thanks. You aren't going to convince us to take the crap end of a deal just because you want Fowler.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
As a Blues fan I would hope that we could get more for Shattenkirk with an extension in place, but if that 1st isn't lottery protected it might be the best futures package we can get our hands on because NJD is one of the few teams I think would be a slam dunk to be able to get him to agree to a contract extension as a condition of the deal.

This.

Trading Shatty to NJD for Quenneville + 1st right now would make sense for both teams.

I know a lot of people on HFB (i.e. Leafs fans re: Stamkos) like to say they'd rather just sign the player as a UFA instead of trading assets to get him, but having that extra time to negotiate a new contract would be very beneficial. For some reason, if the Devils acquired Shatty and he didn't sign an extension, they could always flip him at the deadline themselves.

There's also the argument that other teams would "beat that offer" closer to the deadline, but there's too many variables to say if that is true or not. If the Blues have decided they're going to move on, I'd rather they trade Shatty for a good return (like Quenneville + 1st) and then sign Wisniewski for RHD depth before the season starts.

For those asking, the best trade value comparison for moving Shatty now would be the Brent Burns trade. He had one year remaining before UFA and was traded at the 2011 Draft (June 24) with a 2nd rd pick in exchange for Charlie Coyle, Devon Setoguchi and a 1st. On August 1, he re-signed with the Sharks on a 5-year extension. So Quenneville + 1st for Shatty (with spare parts to round out the deal) seems pretty comparable to me.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
You're still missing the point.

Regardless of salary cost, just because Anaheim is interested in Hudler doesn't mean that they would have been willing to trade Fowler for him. You're trying to extrapolate some willingness to move Fowler for Cammalleri simply because they might be interested in Hudler. That isn't how it works.

I get that you'd probably love to see Anaheim get ripped off in this deal, but your argument for why Anaheim makes this deal is pretty ridiculous. Anaheim has no interest in moving one of their top D for an older player, who seems to struggle to stay healthy right now. You aren't getting a prime asset for him. For a lesser asset? Sure, I suspect Anaheim would be willing to talk, but Cam Fowler? No way in hell. Anaheim would be better off keeping Fowler, and looking for alternatives, while knowing that they have a damn good blue line, and one of the best shutdown lines in the league. They aren't in a position where they should be getting screwed in a deal. Their strength last season was a good all-around defensive game. Why would they have a problem heading into this season with that as the strength again?

Thanks, but no thanks. You aren't going to convince us to take the crap end of a deal just because you want Fowler.

Please go back and look at my posts
I have said at least twice that I get it
I also noted Cams issues with games played

Please acknowledge the you are in need of a #1 LW
Not Mike Cammalleri!

If we can get there were good

Hudler comment is only because he's last one out there in FA with talent level needed
Nothing more

Not saying thats anything to compare the 2 players and salary to

You seem to put my posts there, was not my intention. If that's what came across sorry for the confusion

Fowler is a great player and will get a good return if traded.

Group Chat Legend*

I think Shero will wait until near the deadline so Shatt would be cheaper. Trade for him if we are in a playoff spot, or try for him at UFA.

With Santini and Severson idk if Shero will move big pieces for him... Unless Severson is going the other way in the deal

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Please acknowledge the you are in need of a #1 LW
Not Mike Cammalleri!

If we can get there were good

I'm confused. Are you wanting Blues' fans to say the Blues need a #1LW?

Currently they have Schwartz, Steen, & Fabbri. They definitely don't need LW'rs. They need Centers. Lehtera, Stastny, Sobotka, & Brodziak doesn't move the impressive meter.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
I'm confused. Are you wanting Blues' fans to say the Blues need a #1LW?

Currently they have Schwartz, Steen, & Fabbri. They definitely don't need LW'rs. They need Centers. Lehtera, Stastny, Sobotka, & Brodziak doesn't move the impressive meter.

No sorry
My discussions were around Fowler traded for LW
Blues were not part of my discussion
Sorry bout that

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
He's a great player but I don't want Shattenkirk. We have Severson and Santini who'll be playing in our top #4 for a long time (I hope). We need someone who can play the left side, to log key minutes on our 2nd pairing and eventually log Greene's minutes.

Oct 18, 2011
you don't get fowler for your spare parts, it's going to cost you something that hurts, and a mid 30's forward is not going to get the job done, period end of story

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
To the OP: No from Anaheim. Especially not after what you got for Larsson who is not near as good as Fowler at this point.

And to those mentioning Cammalleri, not a chance we trade a 24 year old for someone in his mid 30s. Is that a joke?

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
He's a great player but I don't want Shattenkirk. We have Severson and Santini who'll be playing in our top #4 for a long time (I hope). We need someone who can play the left side, to log key minutes on our 2nd pairing and eventually log Greene's minutes.

So you need Cam Fowler.

Group Chat Legend*

If that was the package, he would already be in Detroit or Boston.

And that line of thinking is nonsense, and exactly how GMs dont operate.

As it gets closer to deadline and risklosing him for nothing, the price goes down. Shocking, i know.

BomaLightDevils

Jan 15, 2011
Copenhagen
Take shattenkirk now or at the end of the season and when Greene starts to decline you think about that. I think Greene could play top pair in a long time.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014

As it gets closer to deadline and risklosing him for nothing, the price goes down. Shocking, i know.

Blues let Backes walk for nothing. So don't let that line of thinking get in the way

The Grouch

Jan 31, 2009

Only if the Blues are out of the playoff race. Even then, Shattenkirk's rental value will still be sky high. If the Blues are in the playoffs he has inherent value to the Blues' own roster. At that point, depending on St. Louis' needs, keeping Shattenkirk for the postseason will likely have more value to the franchise than trading him for futures.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany

How far down does it go, though? Such an offer wouldn't be an safe bet to be the best at deadline day for a guy like Shattenkirk, given the rental deals for guys like Sekera we've seen in the past.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Devils really shouldn't be looking to deal away any picks & prospects. If Shattenkirk makes it to free agency they should try to sign him, but otherwise they can go with what they've got on defense.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
To the OP: No from Anaheim. Especially not after what you got for Larsson who is not near as good as Fowler at this point.

And to those mentioning Cammalleri, not a chance we trade a 24 year old for someone in his mid 30s. Is that a joke?

Not really!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad