Sportsnet: Shattenkirk open to playing for Maple Leafs, Canadiens

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
If anything I think a lot of Leafs fans thought Stamkos would seriously consider signing in Toronto. I personally thought that was going to happen, however as I said before if Shattenkirk signs with the Leafs great and if he does not I won't be upset.

I dont think many think Shattenkirk actually wants to play here.
he wants to test the market. leafs shouldnt trade for him unless the price is ridiculously cheap (it wont be)

I was one of the many who wanted stamkos, but also didnt expect us to have a kid become an impact #1C a month into the season

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I dont think many think Shattenkirk actually wants to play here.
he wants to test the market. leafs shouldnt trade for him unless the price is ridiculously cheap (it wont be)

I was one of the many who wanted stamkos, but also didnt expect us to have a kid become an impact #1C a month into the season
I agree that the Leafs should not trade for him because they aren't in the rental market. Plus as I said before if he is serious about coming to Toronto I rather wait and sign him without giving up any draft picks or prospects.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
The question for any potential bidding team is whether: 1. they consider it important to have a proven RHD offensive D-Man (and one of the best PP QB's in the league); and 2. whether they want to pay said D-Man approximately $6.5 million AAV on a longer term deal.

If the answer to both of those questions is "yes," then it probably is worth the time to talk to Shatty now before a bidding war starts b/c he will easily draw interest from at least 3-6 teams if he makes it to UFA without signing. In sum, if he fits an important need, you are at least going to make a call now to investigate. If Shatty agrees to sign now, then it is well worth the price that most expect the Blues to ask in order to avoid losing him to another team this summer.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
The question for any potential bidding team is whether: 1. they consider it important to have a proven RHD offensive D-Man (and one of the best PP QB's in the league); and 2. whether they want to pay said D-Man approximately $6.5 million AAV on a longer term deal.

If the answer to both of those questions is "yes," then it probably is worth the time to talk to Shatty now before a bidding war starts b/c he will easily draw interest from at least 3-6 teams if he makes it to UFA without signing. In sum, if he fits an important need, you are at least going to make a call now to investigate. If Shatty agrees to sign now, then it is well worth the price that most expect the Blues to ask in order to avoid losing him to another team this summer.
Do you sell vacuums in your spare time?

pylon17

Jan 19, 2017
I'd gladly pony up for him if he has indicated he'd re-sign here (TOR). Even so, there is a firm limit to what I'd offer. He's very good, but he's not the perfect fit.

HolyJumpin

Sep 30, 2016
Exactly and Shattenkirk would be foolish to agree to any kind of deal without testing the bidding wars this summer. He's this close he may as well wait it out now. St. Louis waited too long to try and get something for him.

You didn't get that I was making fun of the infinite "we'll just sign him in the offseason" posts. He's going somewhere at the deadline. And it'll probably be to a team that will want to keep him long term. So the bidding starts now, not later. Armstrong's job literally depends on this transaction being beneficial to the Blues, I sincerely don't think he'll mess it up.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
You didn't get that I was making fun of the infinite "we'll just sign him in the offseason" posts. He's going somewhere at the deadline. And it'll probably be to a team that will want to keep him long term. So the bidding starts now, not later. Armstrong's job literally depends on this transaction being beneficial to the Blues, I sincerely don't think he'll mess it up.

If Shattenkirk refuses to agree to an extension with a team, I'd think it's out of the Blues hands on what they can get for him. I'm sure he realizes he is more valuable if a team can get him for free in the summer.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
If Shattenkirk refuses to agree to an extension with a team, I'd think it's out of the Blues hands on what they can get for him. I'm sure he realizes he is more valuable if a team can get him for free in the summer.
He still has value as a playoff rental. We can get at least a 1st for him.

ConBonJovi

Mar 29, 2016
Canada
He still has value as a playoff rental. We can get at least a 1st for him.

Man, you guys will get waaaay more than a 1st. He's easily going to be the biggest want at the trade deadline. Armstrong's going to have at least 7-8 teams kicking tires at the very least. Really curious to see how much a team gives up to get him if he does end up getting traded.

JTRAIN1966

Jul 18, 2012
Imperial, Mo.
Wouldn't it be crazy if, Carolina traded one of their young Dmen for Duchene, & figured out a deal to pickup Shattenkirk as well at the deadline ? Just a thought from a Blues fan that can't wait for this **** with, Shattenkirk to be over ! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
I hope my Bruins stay away Would he help yup.But a rental costs and he not worth what his agent will be asking longterm.Rather let McAvoy have them minutes with Carlo and Colin Miller next year.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
This is largely irrelevant.

The Canadiens would have zero interest in him as he doesn't address any of their needs, and while the Maple Leafs desperately need defenseman, Shattenkirk would represent a poor investment on their part in terms of trade pieces and/or a long term contract.

The Maple Leafs need some defenseman that can actually eat big minutes playing solid defense and that isn't what Shattenkirk will give them.

If the Maple Leaf front office thinks Shattenkirk is the answer than they really don't understand the question. The Leafs should stay far away from this one.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I heard someone suggest to Bob McCown on PTS this afternoon that the Leafs offer Gardiner and JVR for Shattenkirk.

Sheesh.

It takes all kinds.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I heard someone suggest to Bob McCown on PTS this afternoon that the Leafs offer Gardiner and JVR for Shattenkirk.

Sheesh.

It takes all kinds.

Someone needs to introduce Mr. McCown to this thing called the salary cap. JVR and Shattenkirk have the same cap hit this season, so the Blues would be unable to afford Gardiner's additional cap hit unless another $4M or so was headed the other way, or unless TOR agreed to a pretty significant retention on one or both of their players.

Value-wise it is probably decent if Shattenkirk comes with an agreed-upon extension. Asset wise, I'm not sure it works well for the Blues. We have too many Top 6 LW (Steen, Schwarz, Perron, Fabbri [IR]) as it is. Perron has been playing RW all season but is better on his off wing. None of the other 3 seem to fare too well playing C or RW. Unless moving to RW is something JVR could do seamlessly, I don't see where he fits. If the Blues are trading an extended Shattenkirk for Top 6 forward help it needs to be for a C (preferred) or a RW.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Someone needs to introduce Mr. McCown to this thing called the salary cap. JVR and Shattenkirk have the same cap hit this season, so the Blues would be unable to afford Gardiner's additional cap hit unless another $4M or so was headed the other way, or unless TOR agreed to a pretty significant retention on one or both of their players.

Value-wise it is probably decent if Shattenkirk comes with an agreed-upon extension. Asset wise, I'm not sure it works well for the Blues. We have too many Top 6 LW (Steen, Schwarz, Perron, Fabbri [IR]) as it is. Perron has been playing RW all season but is better on his off wing. None of the other 3 seem to fare too well playing C or RW. Unless moving to RW is something JVR could do seamlessly, I don't see where he fits. If the Blues are trading an extended Shattenkirk for Top 6 forward help it needs to be for a C (preferred) or a RW.

McCown didnt bite.

He doesnt think the Leafs should waste money on Shatty. Period.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Personally I'd love to see Shattenkirk sign in Edmonton. Would be a huge plus for the Oilers and I think he'd fit there perfectly. Plus it would be nice to finally see Edmonton back in the running, and I think adding Shatty to their current roster definitely elevates them to a next level and gets them back in the game on a regular basis.
Now, do I think he will sign there, No. but it would still be nice to see.
I don't think the Habs are overly involved beyond the cursory look and offer. I don't think there will be any haggling or what ever. Just not a fit in Montreal, but you have to at least make 1 offer on a player like him. You never know.
Toronto could definitely use him, but what would they have to give up to get him. For a rebuilding team to trade out assets for a veteran player, outside their cup window just doesn't make much sense. More likely, TO will see how things go this year then address any issues next year. They still have time.
For me, the most likely destination is NYR. Just seems like all the stars are lined up for that to happen.

Last edited:

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site

Agree 100% with this.

If Shattenkirk was locked up long term, what would it take to trade for him? Those type off players (at his age) aren't available very often, and they typically cost a pretty penny to acquire. Not saying that Lou should be sell the farm for KS, just that acquiring quality dmen is often very expensive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad