Sportsnet: Shattenkirk open to playing for Maple Leafs, Canadiens

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/shattenkirk-open-playing-maple-leafs-canadiens/
According to Kypreos, the defenceman has a list of a dozen teams he's interested in, and "Toronto and Montreal are on it."

While he would be a nice addition to any team, I don't see the Habs making a serious play for him. With Weber and Petry, their top 4 RD is pretty secure.

TO on the other hand, might be very seriously interested. Could advance their rebuild by a season or more.

***UPDATE***

http://www.ottawasun.com/2017/02/11/fired-bruins-coach-julien-wont-have-trouble-finding-another-job
The waiting game continues to see what happens to St. Louis Blues blueliner Kevin Shattenkirk, who is a UFA on July 1. He could be the biggest piece to move and, as reported in this space last week, its believed the Blues gave an Eastern team permission to speak with his camp about three weeks ago. There’s talk the Toronto Maple Leafs, Lightning and Bruins have all made a pitch to the Blues for Shattenkirk. Only the Bruins would have the ability to sign Shattenkirk to a long-term deal.

Not sure why the Bruins are the only team able to sign a long term deal, might be a typo for the Blues or I'm just dumb and out of touch somehow. Maybe it's a cap related reference.
Interesting that TO seems interested.
Curious who that Eastern Team was that was given permission to talk to him.
Also Tampa being involved is curious.

Last edited:

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
Good offensive player, but not a top pairing guy IMO. Elite #3 if those exist. If he played LD, MTL should be all over him.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
But what would he cost and is the price worth it to the Leafs considering the fact that he is 28 years old?

Never

Can you hear me now?
Sep 16, 2009
Calgary
Shattenkirk just plays the right side, does he not? If we acquire him, we have an expensive player (likely Petry) playing on the 3rd pairing.

Steamwhistle

Nov 10, 2014
Toronto
I'd be willing to offer something like Kapanen and a 3rd if we had an extension in place. Would love to have Shattenkirk on the right side.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I'd be willing to offer something like Kapanen and a 3rd if we had an extension in place. Would love to have Shattenkirk on the right side.

Extended Shattenkirk is worth significantly more than Kapanen and a 3rd :facepalm:

That's not even a great offer for Shattenkirk as a rental...and I really like Kapanen.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham

If a extension is in place I doubt the Blues would trade him for that they would want more.

Extended Shattenkirk is worth significantly more than Kapanen and a 3rd :facepalm:

That's not even a great offer for Shattenkirk as a rental...and I really like Kapanen.

I don't think an extension prior would be in the cards.
I'm thinking it's a rental trade deal, and a re-sign afterwards.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I mean, why would they care if a extension is in place? The guy is likely gone no matter what....extension or not the value shouldn't change. A team like Toronto is trading for him to be here for a while, if that is the case ; structure the trade with that in mind.....if it is too much , it doesn't happen. And so the value of a extended or rental is set. He either is kept for their own run; or they try to get value on a expiring player.

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
If they can sign him for 6.5 over 6 years then sure for the Leafs.. good leader for the blue line and a passable 2D... if he's looking to go to highest bidder then it won't be Toronto. Wouldn't trade for him, would sign him

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
I mean, why would they care if a extension is in place? The guy is likely gone no matter what....extension or not the value shouldn't change. A team like Toronto is trading for him to be here for a while, if that is the case ; structure the trade with that in mind.....if it is too much , it doesn't happen. And so the value of a extended or rental is set. He either is kept for their own run; or they try to get value on a expiring player.

Because someone who is signing him for sure is keeping any other team from doing the same. If another team is willing to pay a little more, you don't even get a crack at him in free agency.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015

The team would get a guaranteed extension by paying what would most likely be a 2018 1st round pick. He's rumored to be looking for around $6.5mil AAV, but with so many teams wanting him, a bidding war on July 1 could feasibly push his contract up to $7.5mil+ AAV.

So not only does trading for an extended Shattenkirk guarantee him beyond this season, it likely saves cap space as well.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.

If Blues signed him to a extension his value in a trade becomes a lot more because he would no longer be a potential rental but a guarantee to be with the new team for years. I don't now how anyone can think a extension doesn't change anything.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
He's going to NY or Boston
He's trying to get a bidding war going and who better to include than the Leafs and Habs
This keeps the Rangers and Bruins on there toes

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
That would be a good addition for Toronto. Of course depends on what would they have to send back.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Not something the leafs need to trade for right now. If he hits UFA sure we may take a run at him.

Agreed.

No need to spend assets on a soon to expire contract.

The Blues can keep him unyil his contract expires.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Sounds like he is just mentioning them to drive his price up for when he signs with the Rangers as a UFA.

Would be an upgrade for sure on the Leafs, but wouldn't trad anything to get him this season and there may be better options this summer.

I would pass until he hits UFA and then see what his asking price is.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
US born players are odd. They make their careers out of a game built on the backs of Canadians, then refuse to play in their cities. If not for us here in Canada, Kev, you'd not be paid the $$ you are.

Buck up and be open to the Oilers, ya bum.

What is odd about wanting to live and play in your home country?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad