Confirmed with Link: Shattenkirk 39% rtnd, Copley for Sanford, Malone, 1st ('17), cndl 2nd ('19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
We have 15 forwards and 6 defenseman on the roster right now with Sanford joining the Blues. Something needs to shift there.

St. Louis Blues have announced that they've traded Jaden Schwartz, Kyle Brodziak and Nail Yakupov to Montreal for Galchenyuk (autographed 11" x 7" photo, mind you), Jordie Benn, Tomas Plekanec, and a conditional 1st in '17 (payable if Montreal wins the Cup).

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
He's 2 years younger than Rattie. He has 26 games and 3 points. Rattie has 10 points in 35 games.

2 years is significant, you are connecting dots that don't exist.

Why can't we actually wait till we see the kid play. This is when this board gets obnoxious to be on. You are bashing without knowing. At least wait till you can make a legitimate opinion on him before you bash that part of the trade.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
St. Louis Blues have announced that they've traded Jaden Schwartz, Kyle Brodziak and Nail Yakupov to Montreal for Galchenyuk (autographed 11" x 7" photo, mind you), Jordie Benn, Tomas Plekanec, and a conditional 1st in '17 (payable if Montreal wins the Cup).

No deal unless we get Desharnais as well

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014

Why can't we actually wait till we see the kid play. This is when this board gets obnoxious to be on. You are bashing without knowing. At least wait till you can make a legitimate opinion on him before you bash that part of the trade.

Im fine with Sanford. Its the conditional pick that just kills me lol...

At the end of the day we got a 1st+B prospect thats NHL ready instead of a futile cup push.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016

It's going to be this way a while. I agree with you. My personal opinion on the matter is that Shatty was never really fully on board with taking a sign and trade to anyone not named "Rangers" outside of massive overpayment, which never happens unless a team feels that he is that one piece they need. From the tweets I've seen, it appears that DA did his due diligence and really tried to get a sign and trade, but they were all nixed by Shatty. I don't blame Shatty, nor do I blame DA. It's the business side of it. We got about what you could expect with the options left on the table.

Anyone who is that deeply upset is coming into it with unrealistically high expectations and are too emotionally invested to give it a fair shake. The truth is that we won't know for a while what kind of return we got, but I can assure you that this board would be complaining to no end were we to have traded him for a rental that ended up leaving in the off season, effectively leaving us with nothing once again.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas

Didn't we hear the same thing about Copley?

I dunno, maybe the pro scouts really are high on Sanford. It doesn't seem like that big of a demand. Hopefully he has a higher ceiling than what he's been projected as. It does make sense to get a cost-controlled asset who is ready to play now or next year, as opposed to the timeframe for additional picks.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
You might as well stop the hypothetical trades about packaging and getting a 1C. Armstrong had over a year to try and find a deal like that with our excess RD situation, and he got another handful of nickels instead. He's never going to make a deal like that.

Precisely.....nothing about Armstrong suggests that he will wake up tomorrow and suddenly become an innovator.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016

I dunno, maybe the pro scouts really are high on Sanford. It doesn't seem like that big of a demand. Hopefully he has a higher ceiling than what he's been projected as. It does make sense to get a cost-controlled asset who is ready to play now or next year, as opposed to the timeframe for additional picks.

We seem to have enough young cost controlled guys ready to crack the roster next year. Add Sanford to the mix and we are in a good spot to free up some cap. I'm not sure how competitive we'd be next year icing a group with so many young players, but it could go a long way towards freeing up cap for someone like Tavares.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO

If our pro scouts are high on Sanford, that worries me. We don't exactly have a great pro scouting track record. If it's the amateur scouting that really led the push, I'd feel a little more at ease.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Yep. I learned in a negotiating course at Wash U. that if you're pleased with an initial offer by your negotiating partner to not let them know it. You hem and haw and make it seem that it's a very painful concession on your part in order to extract more from them.

So it probably went something like:
StL: So you want Shattenkirk? Well, we want Sanford and two firsts.
Wash: Sanford? No, no, no...how about Bowey, or Galiev...or Gershich...along with a 1st and 4th?
StL: We want Sanford and two firsts!
Wash: Well...how about Bowey, a 1st and a 2nd?
StL: We want Sanford, a 1st and a 2nd.
Wash: If we're going to talk about Sanford, you've got to give us something else...like Copley and a 4th.
StL: We want Sanford, a 1st and a 2nd...and we'll throw in Copley.
Wash: Well...I don't know...we don't have a 2nd next year...what if we make it in '19...and conditional on us winning the Cup?
St: So...Sanford, a 1st, a conditional 2nd in '19 (if you hit the 3RD round!), for Shattenkirk and Copley? Well...you've got to give us another Center...how about Malone?
Wash: Ouch Doug...that really stings. You drive a hard bargain. Don't let anyone on HFBoards tell you otherwise. We'll begrudgingly accept. <Hangs up> Giggles so hard he pisses his pants and has to replace his office chair.

giphy.gif

I think we've advance going in forward, 'cus we've such a good relationships with Caps GM. It's win-win no matter what.

I think Army could find another trade with Caps. Fabbri could be good fit on Caps while they are pretty damn tight in cap wise.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
If our pro scouts are high on Sanford, that worries me. We don't exactly have a great pro scouting track record. If it's the amateur scouting that really led the push, I'd feel a little more at ease.

Yeah, pro scouting has not yielded the same dividends as the amateur scouts. I'll withhold judgement for now. I'm glad he's going to be playing immediately.

I hope the organist plays the theme song from Sanford and Sons at the next home game.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Armstrong sounding like he really wants to use that pick to move up in the draft or bring in another player rather than wait for who they draft to pan out

execwrite

May 4, 2002
Peekskill, NY
Visit site
Blues traded six weeks of Shattenkirk and can now come up with POTENTIALLY three top-six forwards.

Zach Sanford, Sanford has plenty to offer. Following his NHL combine in 2013, Zach added 20 pounds and actually grew an additional inch. Now 6′-4″, 210 pounds, Sanford has the speed the Capitals have been looking for since the end of the Penguins playoff series. In addition, he couples his large frame and quickness on the ice with excellent stick handling skills. Sanford possesses excellent vision and play-making ability and has shown that his presence on the ice makes those around him better.

21. St. Louis Blues - Maxime Comtois, LW, Victoriaville (QMJHL)

Comtois (6-2, 199) is most comfortable at right wing, but can play any forward position; as a center he has won 50.4 percent of the 272 faceoffs he has taken. He can be used in all situations because of his size and speed. He is highly skilled but also highly competitive and plays the game with an edge.

30. Washington Capitals - Isaac Ratcliffe, LW, Guelph (OHL)

Ratcliffe (6-5, 196) is a prototypical power forward with a good scoring touch. He has 39 points (21 goals, 18 assists), a plus-10 rating and 53 penalty minutes in 44 games.

Last edited:

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Blues traded six weeks of Shattenkirk for POTENTIALLY three top-six forwards.

Zach Sanford, 6-4, 200

Comtois (6-2, 199) is most comfortable at right wing, but can play any forward position; as a center he has won 50.4 percent of the 272 faceoffs he has taken. He can be used in all situations because of his size and speed. He is highly skilled but also highly competitive and plays the game with an edge.

Ratcliffe (6-5, 196) is a prototypical power forward with a good scoring touch. He has 39 points (21 goals, 18 assists), a plus-10 rating and 53 penalty minutes in 44 games.

Huh? Are you projecting draft picks? If so, how does the Blues own 1st rounder have anything to do with this trade?

They may be drafting the next Jamie Benn right?

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
They are tweeting that Sanford is here today, but not playing. Who is going down as we need to bring up another defenseman?

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Blues traded six weeks of Shattenkirk and can now come up with three POTENTIALLY three top-six forwards.

Zach Sanford, Sanford has plenty to offer. Following his NHL combine in 2013, Zach added 20 pounds and actually grew an additional inch. Now 6′-4″, 210 pounds, Sanford has the speed the Capitals have been looking for since the end of the Penguins playoff series. In addition, he couples his large frame and quickness on the ice with excellent stick handling skills. Sanford possesses excellent vision and play-making ability and has shown that his presence on the ice makes those around him better.

Are we just going to keep drafting wingers?

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
Are we just going to keep drafting wingers?

To be fair, Sanford appears to have been a center for most of his playing time until he got to the Capitals where he was moved around as an injury fill-in. Maybe they try him back at center? But, not if he is with the Blues unless they move #12. We are flush with 3rd and 4th line centers at the moment.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Huh? Are you projecting draft picks? If so, how does the Blues own 1st rounder have anything to do with this trade?

They may be drafting the next Jamie Benn right?

It's from a mock draft, I forget which one.

Blues traded six weeks of Shattenkirk and can now come up with three POTENTIALLY three top-six forwards.

I swear to god, if we get another left winger in this draft I'm going to freak out. I still want Rasmussen, but he's looking like he's out of range now. I guess it depends on how the last few weeks of the season go and where we finish up. Maybe we can trade up, but without the supplementary pick coming in from WSH this year, that makes it challenging. No way you package 2 1sts to move up for a mid-teen pick, we don't have the 3rd rounder from the Yakupov trade, and I'd like to hang on to our 2nd rounder unless something totally mind-blowing comes along and we can't resist. Quantity > Quality in this draft.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
It's from a mock draft, I forget which one.

I swear to god, if we get another left winger in this draft I'm going to freak out. I still want Rasmussen, but he's looking like he's out of range now. I guess it depends on how the last few weeks of the season go and where we finish up. Maybe we can trade up, but without the supplementary pick coming in from WSH this year, that makes it challenging. No way you package 2 1sts to move up for a mid-teen pick, we don't have the 3rd rounder from the Yakupov trade, and I'd like to hang on to our 2nd rounder unless something totally mind-blowing comes along and we can't resist. Quantity > Quality in this draft.

Can't say i'm interested in Rasmussen at all. Sounds like a lot of love he gets is due to his size. He lacks in vision and hockey IQ. I'd much prefer a player who is more skilled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad