Confirmed with Link: Shattenkirk 39% rtnd, Copley for Sanford, Malone, 1st ('17), cndl 2nd ('19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I wouldn't say stud, but more highly valued. Hertl+Barzal though.

I guess it depends on the year. Pre injury Hertl was all the rage.

At this point Im just going to assume we over rate the hell out of our guys.

Oshie+Shattenkirk for Seguin would be the only deal I would have actually liked.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011

He definitely was, but I always saw holes in his game, playing with Thornton just made him look better than he really was.

I'm fine that, that deal didn't happen, but we'd still be better off if that one went through. Hertl+Barzal/Rantanen would've been great to have right now. Even if Hertl doesn't fulfill his potential, we'd have 2 young top 6 guys.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Oh man....I went to bed before Malone, Copley, and the ridiculous conditions on the picks came out. Just when I think Army couldn't be any dumber, he goes and does this.
....and totally REDEEMS himself!

Seriously, between the trade and this board's reactions to it, it's been fun and interesting at the very least. Are the Blues looking like contenders any time soon? No...but 24 hours ago they weren't contenders either, so at the end of the day this changes very little. The faces and names in the Blues jersey may change, but we've still got a decent team that ultimately falls on their ass...like we have for about 85% of their existence.

I'd agree it's time for someone other than Doug Armstrong to have a shot at leading this club somewhere. Not that I think he's driven the ship into the ground...but he's definitely proven himself to be nothing more than mediocre. 6-seasons as GM is enough of a track-record to determine that he doesn't need a 7th.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
Its a little far fetched to think a team would trade a legit 1c for Schwartz/Steen +. Not happening.

Dumping Lehtera and considering moves such as these are of paramount importance right now. Problem is---no one who has seen Armstrong should assume he is going to even be industrious enough to consider making these moves or that he has the vision and trade negotiation skills to make it work.

BangarangxRufio

I Blues'd Myself
Nov 29, 2016
STL
This is the exact Gif i thought of after reading the details of the trade
mpzeDQpnfYbe.gif

Bye Felicia

Apr 26, 2016
Well that was fun. For all this hullabaloo, the Blues' two major moves have both resulted in third-line centers. Glad we addressed such a position of need. Smh.

Jbwest31

Feb 9, 2017
Just saw a quote from GMBM saying that the Armstrong never even asked for Vrana or Bowey. Has Armstrong said anything about the trade?

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
A first round draft choice and a prospect is about all we could have expected for Shattenkirk. Not all prospects are the same, obviously, but a mid-level prospect was about what we should have expected. And Sanford has played some in the NHL, unlike William Carrier, whom we added him as the prospect in the Miller trade. So our scouts have at least had a chance to see Sanford in action against NHL competition.

If you were hoping for more than what we got, you were setting yourself up for disappointment.

What I don't get is Copley going back to the Capitols for Malone. You would have to think that the Copley deal was linked to the Shattenkirk deal, meaning the Capitols wanted him back. Malone is on a one year, two-way contract, too old to still be thought a prospect. Copley is an impending UFA so maybe we have decided that Husso is better, but I'd rather have received a pick for Copley.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland

At this point Im just going to assume we over rate the hell out of our guys.

Oshie+Shattenkirk for Seguin would be the only deal I would have actually liked.

If Oshie gave us 1 year Brouwer and 3rd which we trade for Yakupov? Was it right? Dont remember.

I think Burrows trade get better piece what Shattery got. This is most horrendous dealt in long time. Top 5 point wise dmen = mediocre bottom 6 vet forward.

Only good thing is we get at least something out of it.

BangarangxRufio

I Blues'd Myself
Nov 29, 2016
STL
I was really hoping that Armstrong really pulled a great trade off this year and we all felt stupid, but happy with the move... I just feel angry...deeply angry that he gets to still be in the GM position after years of screwing up this team. He has overpaid and under traded. Yeah he can draft above averagely, but he has put this team in a position to be consistently mediocre for the next 4 years. I just feel he is never going away and we are going to be average forever and waste the years of Tarasenko that we have left.

medkit

Mar 22, 2014
You might as well stop the hypothetical trades about packaging and getting a 1C. Armstrong had over a year to try and find a deal like that with our excess RD situation, and he got another handful of nickels instead. He's never going to make a deal like that.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
A first round draft choice and a prospect is about all we could have expected for Shattenkirk. Not all prospects are the same, obviously, but a mid-level prospect was about what we should have expected. And Sanford has played some in the NHL, unlike William Carrier, whom we added him as the prospect in the Miller trade. So our scouts have at least had a chance to see Sanford in action against NHL competition.

If you were hoping for more than what we got, you were setting yourself up for disappointment.

What I don't get is Copley going back to the Capitols for Malone. You would have to think that the Copley deal was linked to the Shattenkirk deal, meaning the Capitols wanted him back. Malone is on a one year, two-way contract, too old to still be thought a prospect. Copley is an impending UFA so maybe we have decided that Husso is better, but I'd rather have received a pick for Copley.

I'm fine with the 1st round pick and prospect for Shatty. Retaining salary I don't really understand. What do the Blues get out of that? Is it because they were that high on Sanford? Who knows.

The issue I have is until proven otherwise I will think Shattenkirk was being disingenuous when giving the list of teams to Army. I can't see how the trades that fell through are the only deals Army tried to work. There's probably more and Shatty said no to every one of them.

That's the part that stings if indeed it's true. If Shattenkirk winds up taking less than 6-6.5 from the Rangers in the off-season then the fix was in from Shattenkirk's side.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Lets wait and see if Sanford develops into a top 6 center. If that is the prospect we wanted, then lets give him a chance. From the looks of it, he has great size, great possession ability, can work in tight spaces, and has been very impressive in Washington's camps. They signed him early because they didn't want him to be a Vesey. If he can develop into a 2nd line center, then Army did a good job here.

Last edited:

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Sounds like the Caps told Army right off the bat no to Stanford to make him want Standford..... got em!

Bluesfan54

Jul 28, 2014
Kansas City
If people want to be fair in evaluating Army's trades (and I seriously doubt that) they really should at least mention the trades he worked out for Hall and Drouin. Both would have been good returns and both fell thru because the player nixed them. He wanted a top forward in return and got one--twice.

Just for a laugh, Eklund is saying Pittsburgh was scared off by the high price paid for Shatty.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
Sanford will join the team today. Kinda interesting considering they called up Barbie yesterday. If they call up a D-man today. It tells me another move is right around the corner.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
It seems sometimes like people on here expect a return like Shatty was a sign and trade. He's a flat out rental player. If he does not resign then Washington gave up all that for a player they no longer have in a few months. On the flipside of that, this board would have a fit if the roles were reversed. We'd be saying that we gave up too much for a rental player. We got a good deal out of this. The effects won't be known for a while since picks take time to develop, but we got exactly what everyone was afraid we wouldn't; a return on Shatty. If we'd have gotten an NHL ready player in the likes of Duchene, Johnson, (fill in whoever), then it would have been the same as the conditions that Washington got Shatty, and we would have been at risk for losing him to free agency in the off season. I think when everyone's high expectations blows over, they will warm up to the idea that this was actually about as good as you can expect and that, for once, we ended up with a return. That alone is a win in my book.

Chojin

Tiny Panger...
Apr 6, 2011
I mean.... at least we got something? It's more than I thought Army would get, which is nothing. Still, this just proves how bad he is at asset management. I don't really care what deals he had worked out with other teams, because those teams weren't offering market value for Shatty's extension. It's like saying "I had a trade in principal for Malkin if Shatty would agree to the league minimum extension for 8 years".

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Sounds like the Caps told Army right off the bat no to Stanford to make him want Standford..... got em!

Yep. I learned in a negotiating course at Wash U. that if you're pleased with an initial offer by your negotiating partner to not let them know it. You hem and haw and make it seem that it's a very painful concession on your part in order to extract more from them.

So it probably went something like:
StL: So you want Shattenkirk? Well, we want Sanford and two firsts.
Wash: Sanford? No, no, no...how about Bowey, or Galiev...or Gershich...along with a 1st and 4th?
StL: We want Sanford and two firsts!
Wash: Well...how about Bowey, a 1st and a 2nd?
StL: We want Sanford, a 1st and a 2nd.
Wash: If we're going to talk about Sanford, you've got to give us something else...like Copley and a 4th.
StL: We want Sanford, a 1st and a 2nd...and we'll throw in Copley.
Wash: Well...I don't know...we don't have a 2nd next year...what if we make it in '19...and conditional on us winning the Cup?
St: So...Sanford, a 1st, a conditional 2nd in '19 (if you hit the 3RD round!), for Shattenkirk and Copley? Well...you've got to give us another Center...how about Malone?
Wash: Ouch Doug...that really stings. You drive a hard bargain. Don't let anyone on HFBoards tell you otherwise. We'll begrudgingly accept. <Hangs up> Giggles so hard he pisses his pants and has to replace his office chair.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
We have 15 forwards and 6 defenseman on the roster right now with Sanford joining the Blues. Something needs to shift there.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
Lets wait and see if Sanford develops into a top 6 center. If that is the prospect we wanted, then lets give him a chance. From the looks of it, he has great size, great possession ability, can work in tight spaces, and has been very impressive in Washington's camps. They signed him early because they didn't want him to be a Vesey. If he can develop into a 2nd line center, then Army did a good job here.

He's 2 years younger than Rattie. He has 26 games and 3 points. Rattie has 10 points in 35 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad