Confirmed with Link: Shattenkirk 39% rtnd, Copley for Sanford, Malone, 1st ('17), cndl 2nd ('19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I just don't see why Army would trade Shattenkirk at TDL if Blues are playoff spot or just below the wild card spot. I don't see Blues could get Brouwer type of return. So it would only downgrade team.

I view he'll walk and Shattenkirk have full power to decide where to go and get best offer.

Ofc I hope he'll get traded, but I'm looking real life situation and what is best for the team and Army in short point of view and how Army did play his card. The dominos has rolled.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I think it's as simple as no one would give up the price outside of Edmonton. At this time Armstrong isn't compelled to cave in

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I agree with Ranksu. Armstrong will attempt to sign Shattenkirk unless he gets a really good deal. Nobody will offer what he is asking for. We will be in the playoff hunt, so Army will want apples to apples deal. Nobody wants to trade a good Apple that they know fits in well with term for a wild card whose contract is expiring. They will keep Shattenkirk. He won't resign with us because why should he? We won't pay him what he can make elsewhere and we've tried to trade him at every opportunity. So we lose him for nada. The only way I see a different scenario is if something happens early in the season. If he is still here around mid-season mark, we are stuck with him.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Smart money has to be on Army trading him at the TDL. All that talk and giving Shattenkirk an A is probably all lip service. If Shattenkirk walks into UFA and the Blues get nothing in return it should cost Army his job.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
He will walk. I agree with Majority. If he is still around by the TDL, then he will walk. The last chance to trade him will be in the first month of the season.

And I also agree with Spektre. If Shatty walks, then this will be two high-end players (the other is Backes) to walk with nothing to show for it except future cap flexibility. Army will be in trouble.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
I just don't see why Army would trade Shattenkirk at TDL if Blues are playoff spot or just below the wild card spot. I don't see Blues could get Brouwer type of return. So it would only downgrade team.

I view he'll walk and Shattenkirk have full power to decide where to go and get best offer.

Ofc I hope he'll get traded, but I'm looking real life situation and what is best for the team and Army in short point of view and how Army did play his card. The dominos has rolled.

And the dice have fallen.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
He will walk. I agree with Majority. If he is still around by the TDL, then he will walk. The last chance to trade him will be in the first month of the season.

And I also agree with Spektre. If Shatty walks, then this will be two high-end players (the other is Backes) to walk with nothing to show for it except future cap flexibility. Army will be in trouble.
I disagree about Backes. If we traded him. No WCF appearance and Army did want to resign him, just couldn't get the deal to work

STL BLUES

Youth Movement
Oct 22, 2013
Up-Nort
Shattenkirk fits into Yeo's game strategy nicely. He stays till the TDL then is moved because he also fits nicely into other team's needs. It's a huge gamble on Army's part because the need has to be there at the TDL. It should work out. Odds are in Army's favor.

If he doesn't get moved then Army will survive. Average fan doesn't get to deep into this stuff. Look at the Oshie trade :D

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Smart money has to be on Army trading him at the TDL. All that talk and giving Shattenkirk an A is probably all lip service. If Shattenkirk walks into UFA and the Blues get nothing in return it should cost Army his job.

I think that is either wishful thinking or you greatly under-estimate Armstrong's job security. As long as we are making playoffs, he will be around. Stillman is a great owner, but he seems to trust Armstrong implicitly.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I think that is either wishful thinking or you greatly under-estimate Armstrong's job security. As long as we are making playoffs, he will be around. Stillman is a great owner, but he seems to trust Armstrong implicitly.

I'll give credit Army how he handle extension with players, there is couple odd moves like Lehterä extension, but overally very good.

I feel like Army does have hole in this part of skills. He can't know when to push an be aggressive when trading valuable asset(s), when he acquire them he overprice the giving value. I don't really like this back and forward thing, grit--speed thing. Like now he would acquire Oshie back, 'cus he represents what thks team needs or where we're going or should go. :D

There should be team full of guys whom has knowledge where,why,when do they trade own assets.

Slap in the face when its 50th year of Blues history + Winter Classic event, but team goes totall meltdown when season starts and end of November Blues are central div. 6th spot.
History will re-written, look what happened in last year in Dallas.

Last edited:

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
He's going to walk at the end of the season. W e'll make him a decent offer, but he'll sign for more in Boston.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn

Remember I'm saying it "should" cost Army his job.

I don't blame Army for not moving Backes. It was an all in year and it was rumored they tried to trade Backes to Boston before last season started and Backes nixed the deal.

Army has some good and some not so good moves in his tenure here. Letting Shattenkirk reach UFA is one thing. It's the circumstances that make it so bad. He tried to trade him, (unknown how many times including at this year's draft), publicly showed his hand saying he asked for too much, then acted as though the Shattenkirk trade rumors created themselves. Add to that this Blues team doesn't need Shattenkirk. He's simply a luxury and one who won't see the amount of ice time he deserves. It's just an incredibly bad decision by management if he walks for nothing.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
I think a trade could be made at the deadline, but it won't be anywhere near what shatty is worth. He simply doesn't have much value for a tdl trade. The only teams that would be willing to make a trade at that point are teams that know he'd be willing to resign. Those teams also know that they can simply wait a few months and pick him up at season's end.

Shwabeal

Feb 24, 2016
I think a trade could be made at the deadline, but it won't be anywhere near what shatty is worth. He simply doesn't have much value for a tdl trade. The only teams that would be willing to make a trade at that point are teams that know he'd be willing to resign. Those teams also know that they can simply wait a few months and pick him up at season's end.

Teams trade for impending UFAs at the deadline all the time. And a decent portion of the time, the acquiring team has no plans on resigning the player or they know their chances are slim. A contending team at the TDL who needs a right-handed, puck moving defenseman would be more than willing to part with some prospects/picks to have Shatty for the stretch run. It may not be the return we all want (proven NHL forward of Shatty's value) but it will certainly be for some high-valued assets.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
Teams trade for impending UFAs at the deadline all the time. And a decent portion of the time, the acquiring team has no plans on resigning the player or they know their chances are slim. A contending team at the TDL who needs a right-handed, puck moving defenseman would be more than willing to part with some prospects/picks to have Shatty for the stretch run. It may not be the return we all want (proven NHL forward of Shatty's value) but it will certainly be for some high-valued assets.

You are right, but they typically trade for someone that is going to provide potent offense. If any team felt like he was going to do that, he'd already have been picked up. You don't typically find "puck moving defenseman" as a huge need at the trade deadline. Teams usually go for UFA high dollar scorers that will provide them more punch for the playoff push. Shatty's contract is a steal for this entire year. He would have been picked up already if he was a need, but he hasn't been. I foresee Shatty going at the trade deadline for maybe a mid level prospect and a second round pick at best. Whatever we end up getting, it won't be what Shatty is worth. DA has no choice but to hold out at this point. His best chance to unload was at the draft and he asked too much. Shatty's value sinks every day now. He will not walk. DA will have to unload him for much less than he's worth though. His job depends on it.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
I picked traded early in the season. I believe this for a couple of reasons:

1. All teams may feel their roster is set at this point and no one has suffered an injury. So they want to see what they have and evaluate from there.

2. Blues are in a spot where I am not sure how much they want to trade him. If CP can make a transition to LHD, then you resign him vs trade him for pieces.

Which means JAyBo winds up on the blocks or exposed at the expansion draft a where he will be the best dman available and there for taken.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO

I'll take it one step further. If Shattenkirk starts this season with the Blues he's walking at the end of the year. I don't see any realistic scenario where Armstrong would move Shattenkirk at the deadline of this team is in a playoff spot, which they should be.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I picked traded early in the season. I believe this for a couple of reasons:

1. All teams may feel their roster is set at this point and no one has suffered an injury. So they want to see what they have and evaluate from there.

2. Blues are in a spot where I am not sure how much they want to trade him. If CP can make a transition to LHD, then you resign him vs trade him for pieces.

Which means JAyBo winds up on the blocks or exposed at the expansion draft a where he will be the best dman available and there for taken.

THIS is reasonable, and possible. I didn't vote, because my vote would be "Shattenkirk traded BEFORE the season starts", and that isn't one of the options. But, if no decent offers come, I'd rather see him re-signed, and Parayko moved to the left side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad