GDT: Sharks vs Wild 7:30pm, We can finally settle who is the better team (it was the Wild)

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
We used to be fantastic at finding later round talent! The detroit of the West (Even though they were in the West lol). We'd consistently find talent in the 6th and 7th rounds but not anymore. Doesn't matter where you're drafting at that point. We almost outsmart ourselves sometimes. I remember how angry I was when he took Meier when the top European, Rantanen was still available.

I mean if we get development out of what we got right now, we're talking about having Leonard from the 6th round, Gregor from the 4th round, Balcers from the 5th round, and the aforementioned Labanc from the 6th round. It's still going about as you should reasonably expect when it comes to finding talent late.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I mean if we get development out of what we got right now, we're talking about having Leonard from the 6th round, Gregor from the 4th round, Balcers from the 5th round, and the aforementioned Labanc from the 6th round. It's still going about as you should reasonably expect when it comes to finding talent late.

Gregor from the 4th isn't that much of a steal but if you combine those three, you're not exactly lighting the world on fire. They're definitely on a good trajectory but it's a little presumptuous to assume they'll be on the same level as say a Pavelski or a Clowe. Our success used to be contingent on finding those diamonds. Like Pavs or Nabby or Clowe, Braun even Erhoff.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Gregor from the 4th isn't that much of a steal but if you combine those three, you're not exactly lighting the world on fire. They're definitely on a good trajectory but it's a little presumptuous to assume they'll be on the same level as say a Pavelski or a Clowe. Our success used to be contingent on finding those diamonds. Like Pavs or Nabby or Clowe, Braun even Erhoff.

Anybody making it to the NHL at any level past the 2nd round is a steal, imo. Nobody is lighting the world on fire beyond the 2nd or 3rd rounds. And to be fair, you're looking at a time span from 1994 to 2007 with those picks. We're talking about 12 players in that time frame. I'm adding Toskala, Kiprusoff, Mitchell, Murray, and McGinn. In the drafts since then we've gotten Demers, Wingels, DeMelo, Labanc, Balcers, Gregor, Leonard, with pretty good odds on players like Hatakka, Gushchin, and decent odds on Coe and probably one of the four 7th rounders they did this past year. Yeah, it's probable that they won't be to the level of Pavelski but the others yeah they should be relatively comparable. They're still doing better than average on that front.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Thanks! I'm also watching for Leonard to hopefully get a shot on that top 6. Something tells me when all is done, either Donato or Leonard will be a staple in that top 6. Or maybe that's just my hope...
That is the hope. They don't need to be rushed though. Both are young enough they can take the season to mature into those roles. For JL I don't see it until next season after watching him play so far. On a good team I think both are likely high end 3rd liners at their peak.

Reactions: JohnLennon

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
We used to be fantastic at finding later round talent! The detroit of the West (Even though they were in the West lol). We'd consistently find talent in the 6th and 7th rounds but not anymore. Doesn't matter where you're drafting at that point. We almost outsmart ourselves sometimes. I remember how angry I was when he took Meier when the top European, Rantanen was still available.

Like finding John Leonard, Kevin Labanc, and Rudolfs Balcers in the late rounds? One only has to look at the current team to disprove the assertion. Add Chmelevski (6th) and Blichfeld (7th) who have played in the NHL and Chekhovich (7th) who has NHL potential.

Looking at 2019, they got Hatakka in the 6th which, based on his development and WJC performance, is looking more and more like a steal.

Back to to your prior post, 13 of 45 picks making the NHL is great - especially considering most blue chip talent comes in the first round where we were usually drafting late or not at all.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Like finding John Leonard, Kevin Labanc, and Rudolfs Balcers in the late rounds? One only has to look at the current team to disprove the assertion. Add Chmelevski (6th) and Blichfeld (7th) who have played in the NHL and Chekhovich (7th) who has NHL potential.

Looking at 2019, they got Hatakka in the 6th which, based on his development and WJC performance, is looking more and more like a steal.

Back to to your prior post, 13 of 45 picks making the NHL is great - especially considering most blue chip talent comes in the first round where we were usually drafting late or not at all.
Why is everyone acting like Balcers is this grade A prospect?? He's a fringe forward taking advantage of the lack of depth.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
I think listing Leonard, Balcers, Gregor, Chmelevski, Blichfeld, Chekhovich, or Hatakka as major successes is way too early - that five of them have reached the NHL is a success, but none of them are yet major contributors or NHL regulars yet. Way too early to put them next to Pavelski, Braun, Nabokov, and so on.

It's also too early to even begin to evaluate the lower rounds of the Wilson Jr. drafts in terms of NHL success. His first draft in charge was 2017, right? The lower round players in that draft were McGrew, Chemelevski, and Chekhovich, who are all only in their age 21 season. Scott Reedy isn't even out of college yet. What we can see is that Wilson Jr. has drafted six players in the sixth round, with two NHL players among those six so far, and five players in the seventh round, only one of which was drafted prior to 2020 (how many 7th rounders reach the NHL in their D+1 year anyway). The results do look promising for now, which is a great place to be in.

I'll move this to the roster discussion thread. Apparently I can't copy and paste and don't want to lose this.

SNOG
Sharks 4, Wild 2
Hertl, Leonard, Nieto, Ferraro
Eriksson Ek, Dumba

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I get that but let’s see Balcers play consistent hockey for more than 10 games before deciding he’s a hit

That's fine but don't act like people are expecting him to be a grade A prospect or top line talent here to qualify as a late round hit. Players that just carve out a career in the NHL are hits in the 3rd round or later.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad