Confirmed with Link: Sharks sign Ryan Merkley to ELC

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
We all know that he has to improve his defensive game. 2-3 years away from the NHL shouldn't come as a big shock to anyone. Scary to think how he'll be offensively in 3 years time with all the mentoring and tutoring he will receive. I'd take an elite offensive defenseman like Boyle anytime .

I doubt his offensive game will actually improve any in three years. He's not going to get any better at that aspect in juniors. It's going to be impossible to really say how he's improved offensively or defensively given what his situation will be the next few years. I just hope that he improves physically and mentally. Then when he's 20 and playing his first full pro year, we can see where he stands and what he needs to get better at against guys that will be his competition for years to come and not just other boys.

AgentCooper

May 10, 2009
Boston
Very excited about this kid. Patience will be key here, and thankfully, it seems that the org understands that he needs time. Now we just sit back and hope he develops ... and pray he doesn't get hurt...

Jaleel619

Nov 16, 2016
SJ
His character issues will probably save us from screwing up his development at the end of the day. Perfect!

Edit: Merfect!

Last edited:
Reactions: Phu

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
i saw that. that was a bad decision sure. he wont be doing that at the NHL level

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
This happens.
Our own Dan Boyle put one in our own net during the playoffs.
Steve Smith of the Flames made a huge faux pas and his career went on for many years.
My point is that one play doesn’t determine a players game.
Move past it.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
Yeah that tweet is stupid, totally irrelevant to what Merkley's real or perceived Defensive issues are, and just comes across as purposefully vindictive.

Before I watched it, I was waiting for some sort of controller disconnect defense from him, where he seems to just not care in the Dzone, like people have said he doesn't.
An ill advised pass in the Dzone? Yeah nah that's totally irrelevant.

Also, look how upset he is about it, almost like he gives a shit he just screwed up, in the Dzone, and hurt his team. All things that you would not expect him to care about based on the way some people spoke of his character.

Reactions: Helistin and Friday

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad