Confirmed with Link: Sharks sign Ryan Merkley to ELC

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Signed to ELC means he can stay for up to 9 RS games before burning year of contract.

(Otherwise, he'd have to be returned to CHL team before start of season)

Reactions: NiWa

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Does this mean anything?

Other than the fact that he could conceivably get an audition with the Sharks if they want to play him in a few regular season games, not really.

His contract will continue to slide if he keeps playing in the CHL and plays <10 NHL games a season, so it's mostly just bookkeeping at this point.

Reactions: Led Zappa

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
After watching all the videos I can find on this guy, prediction is a bottom-six forward in the NHL.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Lol i would take that over vlasic.

Obviously, because Vlasic is not a forward, and staying in a Holiday Inn the night before, he still couldn't be one.

Merkley super charges his offensive stats by becoming the 4th forward. This often leaves his corner up at the blue line undefended.

He gets away with it in the OHL, but this trait will be exposed in the NHL. Opponents will capitalize on this mistake. He'll be a worse Burns than Burns in terms of opponent breakaways.

If he reverts his play into a true defender, he'll look more like Mueller than Vlasic in the d-zone.

I'm sure the Sharks will give him a shot at being a defender, but they are very likely interested in him as a forward if that does not work out. It won't.

So the question becomes whether Merkley can be a serviceable forward in the NHL. I could not find any videos on him staking as one of the 3 forwards.

Whether he can make the transition from being the extra 4th forward on the ice, to a regular forward is the question. There's no question he has talent as a forward. So I predict he will be bottom six forward, might improve to straddle the line between the top and bottom six.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Obviously, because Vlasic is not a forward, and staying in a Holiday Inn the night before, he still couldn't be one.

Merkley super charges his offensive stats by becoming the 4th forward. This often leaves his corner up at the blue line undefended.

He gets away with it in the OHL, but this trait will be exposed in the NHL. Opponents will capitalize on this mistake. He'll be a worse Burns than Burns in terms of opponent breakaways.

If he reverts his play into a true defender, he'll look more like Mueller than Vlasic in the d-zone.

I'm sure the Sharks will give him a shot at being a defender, but they are very likely interested in him as a forward if that does not work out. It won't.

So the question becomes whether Merkley can be a serviceable forward in the NHL. I could not find any videos on him staking as one of the 3 forwards.

Whether he can make the transition from being the extra 4th forward on the ice, to a regular forward is the question. There's no question he has talent as a forward. So I predict he will be bottom six forward, might improve to straddle the line between the top and bottom six.

You are consistent in your ridiculousness. He's not going to become a forward and he will learn to defend at a sufficient enough level that his high offensive instincts from the point will be useful at the NHL level at some point.

Beethovens 10th

du bist ein ungeduldiges Eichhörnchen!
Sep 27, 2017
Zentralfriedhof

No offense dude, but I think you’re a bit off. Rumor has it, from my sources at least, who’s names may or may not rhyme with Rob Ryers and Ron Rynch, that not long after the draft the Warriors and 49ers were, already, both kicking the tires on Merkley. There’s a chance they could run him as a small shooting guard off the bench on the weak side. Niners are thinking holds on the field goals, those soft hands, and he’s always laces out. It’s hard to tell if he can crack the roster as we all know he’ll clash with Robbie Gould (probably sexual tension). Still, if I were a betting man... midfielder on the Earthquakes, with a part time gig at Jamba Juice to make some extra weekend clubbing dough, to impress the ladies. At least that’s what I can tell from watching his YouTube clips.

Last edited:

BaileyMacTavish

Hockey lovin' wolf
Nov 8, 2010
San Jose
No offense dude, but I think you’re a bit off. Rumor has it, from my sources at least, who’s names may or may not rhyme with Rob Ryers and Ron Rynch, that not long after the draft the Warriors and 49ers were, already, both kicking the tires on Merkley. There’s a chance they could run him as a small shooting guard off the bench on the weak side. Niners are thinking holds on the field goals, those soft hands, and he’s always laces out. It’s hard to tell if he can crack the roster as we all know he’ll clash with Robbie Gould (probably sexual tension). Still, if I were a betting man... midfielder on the Earthquakes, with a part time gig at Jamba Juice to make some extra weekend clubbing dough, to impress the ladies. At least that’s what I can tell from watching his YouTube clips.

I f***ing love this

Reactions: Beethovens 10th

Jaleel619

Nov 16, 2016
SJ
I think Merkley will be a good player. I rather have a guy that's angry about losing than a guy that's just there to pick up his check, Patrick marleau.

Reactions: Phu

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->