Confirmed with Link: Sharks sign Joonas Donskoi (2 year ELC)

Stoat

Jan 5, 2014
Oulu
Guys,

People keep saying he doesn't have the strength. And some say that Mi Granlund has more strength. Well, I guess they could be right. I can say for sure, that his strength has gone few steps up during the last 2 seasons. He's also a hard working guy and eager to learn more. And I can say that he's the best guy in shootouts I've ever seen. And I've also seen Jussi Jokinen score a few on shootouts.

I've seen basically all of his games during the last 5 seasons. I've always loved his ability with the puck, but this season he was amazing.

- Stoat

Last edited:

Shark Finn

∀dministrator
Jan 5, 2012
Herwood
After watching him on the Kärpät & the WHC this year, I was pretty certain he would garner an NHL offer or two.

I'm liking this signing if it's true - now just waiting for the confirmation..

drunksage

lol light beer
Jan 13, 2007
Hendertucky-ish
If only we could've won all 10 shootouts instead of losing 6 of them! We would've... uh, missed the playoffs still. :dunce:

But seriously, way to add a player essentially for free if it turns out to be true.

JPL

May 23, 2003
Oulu — Finland
Visit site
Sign also another Joonas from Team Finland and you have solid 3rd line almost ready for next season... That duo dominated last season here and most likely could produce nice numbers also there. Well - your middle sector is pretty full, but would be nice to see them still together.

Donskoi live, breathe and **** pucks - moved alone from his hometown to Oulu at age of 15 to play in Kärpät. His mother told to local press, that when Joonas had a fever and could not go to school and practice, he froze his apartments balcony (~5-7m2) to trick with puck and skates. That was, when she understood that Joonas will be professional hockey player. Love to see him in SJ, if this turns to be true.

Even better in SO's than Jokinen...

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articl...aleksander-barkov-joonas-donskoi/#more-123203

Linemate and Panther Aleksander Barkov says about Donskoi, "He’s maybe the most skilled player at this tournament. He’s great at penalty shots, as we’ve seen. He can score goals, he can pass – he can do whatever he wants on the ice. He’s a very good player."

....if the Sharks indeed signed him, Donskoi will be with the Sharks, not the Barracuda, IMHO.

Last edited:

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Donskoi is a typical modern (2010->) Finnish forward. Lots of skill with the puck and a decent 2-way game. Needs to add muscle and improve his shot.

If he can do that he'll be a decent 2nd line winger. Good signing if true, no risk whatsoever. The guy has been getting better every summer/season. It took him a while to realize what it takes to get to the top but he's definitely on the right track.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Sharks don't sign UFA's though.....

XR6Gw3p.gif

signing a UFA Euro Leaguer is not the same as signing an established top 6 Forward/Top pairing D/Quality Goaltender with NHL experience on July 1st.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
What are some reasonable expectations for this guy?

Reasonable expectations, a top 9 and 2nd PP unit forward.

I mentioned earlier in this thread that he's likely to go the Karlsson route, start the season in the AHL and if his transition goes smoothly (and there's a spot for him) he'll likely be called up to the NHL.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Man could we ever use a kid who can bury it when Thornton puts it on his stick. And score on a damn breakaway, did that even happen this past season?

VLU5

Aug 21, 2014
He's got amazing skill when it comes to protecting puck and in board battles he usually comes away with the puck. Nice hands, nice passer but not the best finisher. If he spends this summer practicing his release I could see him being a real threat in NHL level. He's a real hard worker on and off the ice and physical play doesn't throw him off his game. In Liiga playoffs he was the most checked player in Kärpät and still he managed to dominate. Congrats sharks fans. I hope he'll be good for you :)

I see him starting in AHL and being the first call up and playing the rest of the season up.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Man could we ever use a kid who can bury it when Thornton puts it on his stick. And score on a damn breakaway, did that even happen this past season?

Yeah quite a few times actually. Sharks just need more talent. If he can be a useful player then it's a win.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Thank odin because that's a real sophies choice of **** vs ****.

Ribeiro has had his drug and attitude issues, but he's had solid offensive seasons. If this kid can have some offensive years like Ribeiro then this move will look really good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad