Confirmed with Link: Sharks sign Joel Ward 3 yrs / 3.25m AAV

Timos Death Stare

Seek and Destroy
Aug 9, 2008
CA
Very, very pleased with this signing.

Quality player, plays the game the way we need to be in an increasingly physical division.

I know people will say stick him on the 3rd line, but I'd lump him next to Thornton, I really would. He seems to score some timely goals and go to the right places. That kind of player on JT's line will score 20 and make just as many too with his energy.

I've been considering this too. Just made a post with Wardo on the top line. These options and depth are such a welcomed relief.

Ward - JT - Pavs
PM - Cooch - Wingels
Hertl - Tierney - Nieto
Goodrow - Smith - Karlsson

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
Caps fan here--you're getting a great player in Joel Ward. Wardo, the Big Cheese. He's a spark on every line he's on, his joy is infectious and he never gives up. He's there when you need him, he's freaking clutch and just an all-around great, great guy with a huge heart. Your team is really, really lucky to have him. I'm going to miss the heck out of him and I wish we could have kept him.

Treat him well!

Yeah, while you hardly ever hear any bad things about a recently acquired player, Ward and Martin really seem like great guys. Hopefully the whole "co-worker" debacle is done with.

EDIT:
Speaking of...
"Joel Ward is a class act, a great teammate," DeBoer said.

KzHGVVL.png

Last edited:

TheHockeyRant

Apr 19, 2014
Reno, NV
Sniper acquisition.

Some mentioned Couture as a possible trade asset... was he the most likely to be upset staying with the team through "full rebuild"?

But with Martin and Ward and "win now", I think Couture stays and maybe a sniper comes via picks & prospects.

Obviously Brown is trade bait
Torres probably is now too with the Ward signing though SJ may wait and see what happens there.
No defensemen are going to be traded due to lack of depth after the top 4.
Looking at SJS depth of players on forward who are all under 25 I would not be surprised to see anyone from Hertl or Nieto down to the most recent prospects in Meier or Chartier be moved.

Timos Death Stare

Seek and Destroy
Aug 9, 2008
CA
Torres probably is now too with the Ward signing though SJ may wait and see what happens there.
Looking at SJS depth of players on forward who are all under 25 I would not be surprised to see anyone from Hertl or Nieto down to the most recent prospects in Meier or Chartier be moved.

Highly unlikely.

FeedingFrenzy

Oct 26, 2009

Obviously Brown is Dead weight. fify

Are you trolling with this nonsense?? Torres is now trade bait? If he returns healthy, he becomes a force. This team is in win mode again.If he's hurt then LTIR, no harm to the team.

How much depth do the Sharks need on D after the top 4? The top 5 are set. Leaves one spot to battle for. One of Mueller,Demelo,Tennyson will be given the chance. Should none of them pan out, they make a trade or add a vet.

And for whom are these players/prospects being moved for??What do you think the teams needs are? You are rather vague with your statements.
Hertl? Not going anywhere. Meier? Did you bonk your head? With our depth at Forward I would say Nieto becomes enticingly expendable. I move Nieto + for a good young PMD who will be ready in 3-4 yrs to pair with Roy or Mueller.

DarrylshutzSydor

Aug 9, 2007
California
I've been considering this too. Just made a post with Wardo on the top line. These options and depth are such a welcomed relief.

Ward - JT - Pavs
PM - Cooch - Wingels
Hertl - Tierney - Nieto
Goodrow - Smith - Karlsson

While I agree that Hertl IMO is better on the wing, I don't think you will see him playing there.

FSS

Aug 2, 2012

That's the real beauty of this signing, the options it gives us on the top 3 lines, and the fierce competition it creates for 4th line minutes. It's not just the skill of Ward that has me pumped, nor just the depth he brings, it's his fire & competitiveness...I'm hoping he infects the locker room with it.

I'm interested to see if Hertl recovers/progresses, and if he's going to see time at C or on the Wing (and then which line, for both positions). Where Nieto & Wingels land is of interest to me, and of course their progression as well. Wondering if we do stick with Marleau/Couture/Neito at line 2, and how their defense is addressed (and I want to see more back-checking from the forwards as a whole, this drove me nuts to watch). Once again, really pumped to see the forwards battle in practice & their ice time for the 3rd & 4th line minutes.

Signing Ward and Martin, was my dream off-season. Never would have guessed LA would deal Jones to BOS, and then we'd immediately acquire him, loved that move. I don't expect Torres to play again, but if he does...we may really have something here (I think we have something great without him, but even better with him). Can't wait to see how this team gels, and let's drop the puck already!

*DW, I wanted you fired, but you totally redeemed yourself this off-season...well done.

TheHockeyRant

Apr 19, 2014
Reno, NV
Obviously Brown is Dead weight. fify

Are you trolling with this nonsense?? Torres is now trade bait? If he returns healthy, he becomes a force. This team is in win mode again.If he's hurt then LTIR, no harm to the team.

How much depth do the Sharks need on D after the top 4? The top 5 are set. Leaves one spot to battle for. One of Mueller,Demelo,Tennyson will be given the chance. Should none of them pan out, they make a trade or add a vet.

And for whom are these players/prospects being moved for??What do you think the teams needs are? You are rather vague with your statements.
Hertl? Not going anywhere. Meier? Did you bonk your head? With our depth at Forward I would say Nieto becomes enticingly expendable. I move Nieto + for a good young PMD who will be ready in 3-4 yrs to pair with Roy or Mueller.

You really are incapable of reading the syntax of my statements.
The word PROBABLY when referring to Torres and the world DEPENDING also when referring to Torres again depends on what happens.

Again "I would not be surprised" is syntax. Im not implying the Sharks will trade anyone period. But now that they have depth in every category it makes positions more competitive and makes players more expendable.

TLTR Stop being so f$%^ing self righteous.

FeedingFrenzy

Oct 26, 2009
You really are incapable of reading the syntax of my statements.
The word PROBABLY when referring to Torres and the world DEPENDING also when referring to Torres again depends on what happens.

Again "I would not be surprised" is syntax. Im not implying the Sharks will trade anyone period. But now that they have depth in every category it makes positions more competitive and makes players more expendable.

TLTR Stop being so f$%^ing self righteous.

In what world does Torres become "probably tradeable"? Based on what exactly? Teams looking to hit the CAP floor? And if he's healthy, WHY are we trading him?

And yet you still fail to answer the questions I posed to you. According to you we have all this depth so we should consider moving it. For what? who? Enlighten us please. What are the Sharks needs?

I am far from being self-righteous. I just wanted to know your rational for your bland,vague comments. and as for the bolded, well that just makes no sense in the least bit

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
In what world does Torres become "probably tradeable"? Based on what exactly? Teams looking to hit the CAP floor? And if he's healthy, WHY are we trading him?

And yet you still fail to answer the questions I posed to you. According to you we have all this depth so we should consider moving it. For what? who? Enlighten us please. What are the Sharks needs?

I am far from being self-righteous. I just wanted to know your rational for your bland,vague comments. and as for the bolded, well that just makes no sense in the least bit

Pretty much. As it stands, Torres has no value. If he comes back as he was, then he'd be ridiculously valuable to our team as a player and not as trade bait. If he doesn't have the speed that was his major asset then he's not worth much to anybody.

FeedingFrenzy

Oct 26, 2009
It would not surprise me to see Nieto logging 3rd/4th line minutes. I think he had his chance on the 2nd line and didn't capitalize. Ward to line 2 makes the most sense.

pavs-jt-wingels
patty-juicy-ward
karlsson-tierney-hertl
nieto-smith-xx

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
It would not surprise me to see Nieto logging 3rd/4th line minutes. I think he had his chance on the 2nd line and didn't capitalize. Ward to line 2 makes the most sense.

pavs-jt-wingels
patty-juicy-ward
karlsson-tierney-hertl
nieto-smith-xx

It'll likely be a revolving door between Ward, Wingels, Karlsson, Hertl, and Nieto on the top two lines until someone solidifies themselves and plays well consistently. Pretty much like last year as long as the template remains the same regarding the top two lines being carried by JT-Pavs and Marleau-Couture. There's no guarantee of that either so we'll see. I think everyone up front will be given an opportunity to stick.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011

pavs-jt-wingels
patty-juicy-ward
karlsson-tierney-hertl
nieto-smith-xx

Nieto shouldn't be on the 4th, wouldn't mind him on the 3rd though. I see Nieto as 2nd or 3rd line, Karlsson as 1st or 4th, Ward most likely on one of the top two, Wingo as anywhere as needed but preferably on the 3rd or 4th.

glasgow26

Jul 17, 2007
San Francisco

pavs-jt-wingels
patty-juicy-ward
karlsson-tierney-hertl
nieto-smith-xx

I can't see Nieto on the 4th line. Here's what I'd roll with (assuming Torres is healthy).

Karlsson - Thornton - Pavelski
Marleau - Couture - Ward
Hertl - Tierney - Nieto
Torres - Smith - Wingels

If Torres is still hurt, replace him with Goodrow. If Karlsson starts to slip, swap him with Wingels or Ward.

We have incredible offensive depth this year. That lineup above doesn't even include Brown, Goodrow or any of the kids who could push for a spot (Donskoi, Goldobin, Jevpalovs). I'm excited to see this team in action.

Last edited:

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Nieto shouldn't be on the 4th, wouldn't mind him on the 3rd though. I see Nieto as 2nd or 3rd line, Karlsson as 1st or 4th, Ward most likely on one of the top two, Wingo as anywhere as needed but preferably on the 3rd or 4th.

Nieto worked well with Tierney. Hertl with Jumbo/Pavs does not work unfortunately, so I'd throw Wingels up there or Ward unless someone like Goldobin sticks up there?

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Nieto worked well with Tierney. Hertl with Jumbo/Pavs does not work unfortunately, so I'd throw Wingels up there or Ward unless someone like Goldobin sticks up there?

If someone other then karlsson is on the line with thornton/pavs i have a feeling it will be meier.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
I can't see Nieto on the 4th line. Here's what I'd roll with (assuming Torres is healthy).

Marleau - Couture - Ward
Hertl - Tierney - Nieto
Torres - Smith - Wingels

If Torres is still hurt, replace him with Goodrow. If Karlsson starts to slip, swap him with Wingels or Ward.

We have incredible offensive depth this year. That lineup above doesn't even include Brown, Goodrow or any of the kids who could push for a spot (Donskoi, Goldobin, Jevpalovs). I'm excited to see this team in action.

This is about perfect, things could change slightly if Torres is injured or one of the kids makes the team outta camp but I love the depth here.

FeedingFrenzy

Oct 26, 2009

Marleau - Couture - Ward
Hertl - Tierney - Nieto
Torres - Smith - Wingels

There is no way that Wingels sniffs 4th line minutes. You don't stick a guy with 38/36 points the last 2 years there. Nieto hasn't earned 3rd line minutes, imo. The depth could be his downfall. I am of the belief Nieto can and should be used as trade bait over the next couple years.

Everything else looks good!!!

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
There is no way that Wingels sniffs 4th line minutes. You don't stick a guy with 38/36 points the last 2 years there. Nieto hasn't earned 3rd line minutes, imo. The depth could be his downfall. I am of the belief Nieto can and should be used as trade bait over the next couple years.

Everything else looks good!!!

It's not really a 4th line, it's just two 3rd lines, and creates competition with those lines which is good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad