Confirmed with Link: Sharks sign Joel Ward 3 yrs / 3.25m AAV

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Totally. I noted that in my last post. By my whole "trying to have a reasonable discussion" comment, I wasn't speaking to your posts as much as mine. :P

I have no doubt you're able to, but inebriation generally hurts any arguments I might have. :laugh:

Yeah, I misread your post. I thought you said you thought the projections weren't reasonable.

and I don't have intoxication as an excuse :laugh:

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Didn't think Ward wanted to come to the West coast. What a pleasant surprise.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Yeah, I misread your post. I thought you said you thought the projections weren't reasonable.

and I don't have intoxication as an excuse :laugh:

Saw the "Langley" location, and thought "really?" :sarcasm:

As a BC native myself, there is a certain intoxicant that is quite prevalent in our province. In fact, that sounds like a great idea right about now. :laugh::laugh:

/askingforaninfraction

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
The contract is fine, no issues there. I just don't think we needed him. I'd prefer to have kept that cap space for a deadline pickup. :dunno:

I also think it just clogs up our already clogged forward corps. I guess Donskoi, Goodrow, etc. are heading to the AHL.

He still can, they have 2.4 million in cap space, will need 1 more player to fill out roster. So say 1.4. Since everything is pro rated they could take on a 6 mill player at deadline, they are fine. If they can find a place for brown that number could jump a little more. This was a great move and the sharks have been in much worse situations with a lesser roster even a few years ago when Wilson's hands were tied. Ward was needed and a good signing unless we want more McCarthy etc once injuries occur. This depth you speak of is unproven.

lunarbrian

Jan 28, 2009
In addition to what's already been said about giving up assets for TDL deals, two other considerations in favor of signing Ward now:
1. Usually at TDL you get a rental. We haven't done very well signing those guys after the season.
2. DW usually overpays on TDL deals.
I think getting Ward now is an excellent move. We may still be able to do something at the TDL depending on how things shake out during the season.

Hatrick Marleau

Just Win The Game
May 16, 2012
This was a very good signing. The Sharks have never had this much depth. I'd like to see them trade Wingels in a package for a youngish top 6 forward. They only have 4 legit top 6 forwards right now and I think they could use one more in order to be a legit contender. Tennyson/Mueller are fine a 6/7 defenseman. I'd entertain signing Zidlicky if he were cheap.

Sharksfan83

Jul 27, 2010
The thing I see with both these signings is AFAIK they dont have NMC or NTC's attached. Therefore, even if they dont work out, we have gained 2 assets for nothing. We could easily flip this guy 2 years down the track for a 2nd or 3rd pick, due to his Playoff stats. Same with Martin.

Every other time we have added assets, they have cost us assets first..

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
The thing I see with both these signings is AFAIK they dont have NMC or NTC's attached. Therefore, even if they dont work out, we have gained 2 assets for nothing. We could easily flip this guy 2 years down the track for a 2nd or 3rd pick, due to his Playoff stats. Same with Martin.

Every other time we have added assets, they have cost us assets first..

No reports on Martin having a clause, but Ward has a limited NTC.

thasanjoseshawksdood*

DW is really not a bad GM. Hes definetly set himself up and the rest of the fanbase for some good popcorn seats. AM I RIGHT OR AM I RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
Good signing. Good off-season. Would've liked another bottom pairing defenseman but I don't think we have enough money left.

Eid Ma Clack Shaw

Jul 5, 2007
San Jose, CA
Awesome signing. After a year of...well who knows what, the Sharks have quietly had a very solid offseason. It's been a while since the Sharks made a splash in either the free agent or trade market.

SJFanQC

Dec 14, 2010
Laval
I always said what prevented us from beating that one last team (we would've beaten the Eastern contenders) like Chicago and LA was scoring depth and/or defense (sometimes only one of the two). Right now it looks like we have both. We either had slow, bad defense (or an injured D line-up) or lacked a good third and fourth line. I was happy with the Mitchell-Pavelski-Wellwood line but that was very random and a stroke of luck to find their chemistry by having these three together. Right now it looks like we have the pieces to build four solid lines, a solid defense and hopefully solid goaltending too. DeBoer brought a team in NJ with a worse defense on paper than ours to the Cup Final. Yeah they lost against the Kings but, again, our defense is much better than the one they had. It's still missing that final offensive-RD but I'm happy with the way the line-up's shaping.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
What did we go into last year with? Something like this:

Hertl-Thornton-Pavelski
Marleau-Couture-Nieto
Sheppard-Wingels-Kennedy
Goodrow-Desjardins-Brown
McGinn, Scott, Burish (Torres on permanent IR)

Karlsson/Tierney in AHL

Vlasic-Braun
Mueller-Burns
Hannan-Demers
Irwin

Niemi
Stalock

With the exception of Demers at 3rd RHD, SJ is so much better off. Ward, Martin, and Dillon are massive upgrades on Kennedy, Hannan, and Mueller, while Tierney, Smith, and Karlsson are far better than Sheppard, Brown and McGinn. Hopefully, Torres in on pace to replace (and improve on Desjardins).

In addition, Goodrow, Goldobin, and Mueller may be in the NHL ready to fill in in the bottom 6, top 6, and defense as needed.

Very impressive off season, Doug! Now go sign Marek Zidlicky for the #6 D role.

Timos Death Stare

Seek and Destroy
Aug 9, 2008
CA

Hertl-Thornton-Pavelski
Marleau-Couture-Nieto
Sheppard-Wingels-Kennedy
Goodrow-Desjardins-Brown

Karlsson/Tierney in AHL

Vlasic-Braun
Mueller-Burns
Hannan-Demers
Irwin

Niemi
Stalock

With the exception of Demers at 3rd RHD, SJ is so much better off. Ward, Martin, and Dillon are massive upgrades on Kennedy, Hannan, and Mueller, while Tierney, Smith, and Karlsson are far better than Sheppard, Brown and McGinn. Hopefully, Torres in on pace to replace (and improve on Desjardins).

In addition, Goodrow, Goldobin, and Mueller may be in the NHL ready to fill in in the bottom 6, top 6, and defense as needed.

Very impressive off season, Doug! Now go sign Marek Zidlicky for the #6 D role.

I can't help it - I see everyone mentioning Zidlicky and I don't recall seeing that during the whole offseason - then again I took a bit of a break from posting to focus on the dubs!

I mentioned him as a prime candidate to roll out our bottom d pairing and now I see everyone doing it! It makes sense - and there's the NJ connection as well with DBo

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

Hertl-Thornton-Pavelski
Marleau-Couture-Nieto
Sheppard-Wingels-Kennedy
Goodrow-Desjardins-Brown

Karlsson/Tierney in AHL

Vlasic-Braun
Mueller-Burns
Hannan-Demers
Irwin

link-dry-heaving-o.gif

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011

Hertl-Thornton-Pavelski
Marleau-Couture-Nieto
Sheppard-Wingels-Kennedy
Goodrow-Desjardins-Brown

Karlsson/Tierney in AHL

Vlasic-Braun
Mueller-Burns
Hannan-Demers
Irwin

Niemi
Stalock

Half-assed roster. Maybe DW did sabotage the team for a chance at McDavid. I don't think a McDavid caliber player is projected in the next few drafts. We didn't get him now it's back to trying to win.

JenniferH

Holts Did It
Nov 7, 2013
Georgia
Caps fan here--you're getting a great player in Joel Ward. Wardo, the Big Cheese. He's a spark on every line he's on, his joy is infectious and he never gives up. He's there when you need him, he's freaking clutch and just an all-around great, great guy with a huge heart. Your team is really, really lucky to have him. I'm going to miss the heck out of him and I wish we could have kept him.

Treat him well!

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007
Very, very pleased with this signing.

Quality player, plays the game the way we need to be in an increasingly physical division.

I know people will say stick him on the 3rd line, but I'd lump him next to Thornton, I really would. He seems to score some timely goals and go to the right places. That kind of player on JT's line will score 20 and make just as many too with his energy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad