Confirmed with Link: Sharks sign Joel Ward 3 yrs / 3.25m AAV

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
It's not really a 4th line, it's just two 3rd lines, and creates competition with those lines which is good.

From the team's perspective this would be great! Without seeing how those two bottom lines actually play together, in my head they seem like they would work out to being a very skilled and offensively oriented 3rd line, and a 4th line that is really tenacious, bruising, but can also put the puck in the net. I think both lines would be similar level of overall effectiveness, though by using different means. I mean you could flip the lines and put the Smith as the third line ahead of Tierney's line and say the team is working the kids in slowly, and it still looks good on paper.

For one, I think we all love the idea of the 4th line not being a black hole of suck. Secondly, having a 3a, 3b situation with the bottom 6 would allow the coaching staff to make adjustment, get matchups, and play the hotter bottom line on a game to game basis. So long as everyone is holding up their end defensively, and Torres can rebound to the player he was before injury (big if there), I think it gives great flexibility for the team and allows them to dictate the game using their entire bottom 6 (something SJ hasn't done in forever).

From Wingels' perspective this would kinda suck, as it would likely hurt his individual stats on the season.

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
It's not really a 4th line, it's just two 3rd lines, and creates competition with those lines which is good.

I would like to see ward get 3rd line minutes ideally. I know he doesn't have many miles on those tires but I'm thinking long-term for the season I prefer him on the third line.

Karlsson joe pavs
Marleau couture wingels
Hertl tierney ward
Torres smith nieto,

Or ideally I would like karlsson on 4th line.

Wingels joe pavs
Marleau couture nieto
Hertl tierney ward
Torres smith karrlson

The idea of a marleau ? Ward third line intrigues me as well. Who knows

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
My daughter wrote a letter to the Aliens that kidnapped our DW and asked them to keep him. Fine by me as DW version 2 is the one we've been screaming for during the past two seasons, and more.

It's clear to me that DW version 2 is going for it, in not just building a playoff team, but a contender. Although that depends upon how well Jones does in the net. Trading a #1 draft pick for a backup goalie with 24 or something NHL games is a big bet. We'll see and I hope it returns a big payoff.

It would be awesome if that draft pick returns the last pick in the 1st for Boston. I don't really like that team anyway.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
If Ward is in the top six the Sharks have done something wrong. The third line, if constructed correctly should be where he is 90% of the time and it should end up being one of the top third lines in the league.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
If Ward is in the top six the Sharks have done something wrong. The third line, if constructed correctly should be where he is 90% of the time and it should end up being one of the top third lines in the league.

While I don't disagree, plugging him into the top six on occasion wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. At the very least, he needs to be on one of the two PP units.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
My three favorite teams are the Sharks, Caps, Preds so I know a hell of a lot about Ward and am STOKED by the signing (at least for 1-2 years... the third is a write-off question mark). Ward was money in Nashville, stepping it up in big games. He reminds me of Esa Tikkanen: a guy whose primary role is banging, forechecking and backchecking but who will switch gears and light the lamp when most needed (Stu Barnes was like this too).

Ward is a career third liner but a premier one. I hope he doesn't get placed int he top-6 because that isn't his game. He brings hard work, checking skill, opportunistic offense and secondary scoring to a quality third line. Period.

Any championship-calibre squad could use Ward in the Bottom-6 set and I think it does bode well with the Thornton, Marleau-Martin situation.

And it's not like this team couldn't use a right winger!;)

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
Was interesting to hear Doug's comments about the amount of games Ward and Martin have played in reference to their relatively advanced age.

Ward (34): 517 GP
Martin (34): 697 GP

Ward + Martin: 1,214 GP

Marleau (35): 1,329 GP

Playoffs…

Ward + Martin: 138 GP
Marleau: 147 GP

Timos Death Stare

Seek and Destroy
Aug 9, 2008
CA
While I don't disagree, plugging him into the top six on occasion wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. At the very least, he needs to be on one of the two PP units.

Caps fans swore that Ward was "Mr. Fix-it" as he would be mixed around the lineup and instantly improve the line he was put on. I see the Sharks using him to that extent as well in sporadic moments, but he is ultimately a 3rd liner. A great third liner, but a third liner none-the-less.

Karlsson - JT - Pavs
Marleau - Couture - Wingels
Nieto - Hertl - Ward
Goodrow - Tierney - xxx
Brown

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad