Confirmed with Link: Sharks sign Antti Suomela to 1 year ELC

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Further, Antti is the finnish version of Andrew, which is derived from the greek word Andros, which means Manly(Strong and courageous).

In it's full form, it's broken down to Manly Swampdick. I think the team found a winner here.

This feels like it's going to end up with manly fact memes. Like how he once emerged from a sauna in the Finnish wilderness and wrestled a whole pack of wolves with his bare hands and won. And then he trained the pack to play hockey and won the Finnish Beer League championship with them.

richo

Mar 14, 2011
Bay Area
At first I only saw the headline Sharks sign Antti and I didn't see the last name and I yelled OH NO, PLEASE NO and then I saw the rest and I gave a huge sigh of relief.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
At first I only saw the headline Sharks sign Antti and I didn't see the last name and I yelled OH NO, PLEASE NO and then I saw the rest and I gave a huge sigh of relief.

What's wrong with Antti Kalapudas? Surely one of the more interesting unsigned players currently playing in Finland.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Suomela’s 5V5 P/60 is higher than any full time Shark’s was last season and he’s currently tied for 3rd on the team in +/-. That’s pretty impressive for a guy who has generally looked great with strong underlying metrics but who hasn’t necessarily produced the way it feels like he should.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Suomela’s 5V5 P/60 is higher than any full time Shark’s was last season and he’s currently tied for 3rd on the team in +/-. That’s pretty impressive for a guy who has generally looked great with strong underlying metrics but who hasn’t necessarily produced the way it feels like he should.
He’s got tons of talent. His points seem like they’ve all come off great plays. He hasn’t really gotten any ugly points yet. I keep hoping he’ll get put on the 2nd PP unit if someone goes down. Of course we all know it’ll be Melker first.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

LeftHeartInSF

Left Heart In SF
Dec 1, 2011
San Francisco/Boston
This feels like it's going to end up with manly fact memes. Like how he once emerged from a sauna in the Finnish wilderness and wrestled a whole pack of wolves with his bare hands and won. And then he trained the pack to play hockey and won the Finnish Beer League championship with them.
Soooooo, he is the Finnish Brent Burns? Because this is how I imagine Brent Burns.

LeftHeartInSF

Left Heart In SF
Dec 1, 2011
San Francisco/Boston
Sorry to double post.

I feel like his production is solidly a result of the minutes he/his line gets.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
He's got a good scoring touch which hasn't really been a strong point on this team lately. Most of our guys seem to score on volume rather than skill if that makes sense.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
He's got a good scoring touch which hasn't really been a strong point on this team lately. Most of our guys seem to score on volume rather than skill if that makes sense.

It does but I’m not sure it applies to Suomela. He ranks 12th in the NHL in 5V5 ixGF and 10th in the NHL in 5V5 iHDCF. He also ranks 4th in 5V5 ixGF/60 and 5th in 5V5 iHDCF/60 among players with at least 100 minutes.

Kane and Meier rank top-10 in aggregate and per 60 5V5 ixGF and Pavelski is top-20 so I definitely agree with your general assessment that our guys generally score on volume over skill. Actually, all 4 of Kane, Meier, Suomela, and Pavelski are top-10
In 5V5 iHDCF. But I think Suomela is actually another high volume guy.

He is seriously fantastic though. Currently on a 32 point pace with all of his production coming in limited 5V5 minutes, leading the Sharks in 5V5 GF% and HDCF%, strong metrics all around both relative and individual.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad