Confirmed with Link: Sharks sign Antti Suomela to 1 year ELC

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
This makes it even more likely that at least one forward is gone.

Roughly how does 1 PPG in Liiga translate to the NHL?

Donskoi had 49 points in 58 games in Liiga before signing here. Suomela is 1 year older than Donskoi was.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I mean...where are the Sharks going to stick all these players? You have to think Suomela was signed with the intention that he will be on the NHL roster.

I’ve heard from scouts that Radil is definitely NHL-ready, and considering Suomela’s production you’d have to think the same for him. I know he’s not the fleetest of foot...there will be temptations to compare him to Donskoi, but Suomela is smaller and definitely not as gifted a skater.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
This makes it even more likely that at least one forward is gone.

Roughly how does 1 PPG in Liiga translate to the NHL?

Donskoi had 49 points in 58 games in Liiga before signing here. Suomela is 1 year older than Donskoi was.

...but Donskoi is a Winger and played for a better team. In my view, the level in Finnland isn't what it was a few years ago...so it's difficult to predict anything. You never know with Europeans anyway. How will their game translate to the smaller ice and are they willing/able to adjust/work on their game? Time will tell.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I mean...where are the Sharks going to stick all these players? You have to think Suomela was signed with the intention that he will be on the NHL roster.

I’ve heard from scouts that Radil is definitely NHL-ready, and considering Suomela’s production you’d have to think the same for him. I know he’s not the fleetest of foot...there will be temptations to compare him to Donskoi, but Suomela is smaller and definitely not as gifted a skater.

If the Liiga is known for anything, then for speed. So if the guy scored that many points as a Center skating can't possibly be an issue. Skating is the least of problems for a European coming over to NA anyway. I've never seen a European fail in NA because of his skating. I've seen pretty much everything else but not skating. Not that I remember anyway.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

This makes me think that at least one or two of our forwards will be packaged for either futures, cap space, or defensive help.

We have Thornton and 12 other established NHL-only forwards under our control for next season. Then, between Suomela, Balcers, Radil, and some other guys knocking on the door, you’ve got to think that some spots need to be opened up.

I would be ecstatic if he turns out as effective as Donskoi!

Maladroit

May 9, 2018
Berkeley, CA
According to an article on The Athletic about European UFAs, Suomela led the Liiga in scoring while playing just 15:47 a game which is by far the lowest ice time average of anyone who finished top 30 in points. That's really impressive. Also according to that article 45 of his 60 points were at even strength and he had a 59% Corsi.

You never know with these European signings but it wouldn't surprise me if Suomela renders Tierney expendable. He would probably be a better fit than Tierney on a third scoring line, perhaps between Meier and Donskoi.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
This makes me think that at least one or two of our forwards will be packaged for either futures, cap space, or defensive help.

We have Thornton and 12 other established NHL-only forwards under our control for next season. Then, between Suomela, Balcers, Radil, and some other guys knocking on the door, you’ve got to think that some spots need to be opened up.

This was likely going to happen anyway. This could mean we're not bringing Fehr back though.

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
Its a fun way to fill out the bottom 6 with seasoned cheap guys. Sharks are stacked with 3rd line guys

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

Those are old left shooting players though. I wonder if they're counting on Praplan to make the team. The guy has an incredible skillset and was almost point per game twice in a row despite playing on a terrible team. Having said that, I'm still sceptical. He disappeared during relegation twice in a row and he's more of a floater. More Damien Brunner than Timo Meier. If I were Wilson I wouldn't count on Praplan.

Evil Janney

Jul 12, 2004

Based on the video he reminds me of a left-handed Joe Pavelski. He's in front of the net when he doesn't have the puck, stays between the opposing team's hash marks and goal line. Picks up whatever chances he sees. Has the IQ to know what his teammates are going to do, and either feeds off of them or feeds to them.

Love this signing.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
According to an article on The Athletic about European UFAs, Suomela led the Liiga in scoring while playing just 15:47 a game which is by far the lowest ice time average of anyone who finished top 30 in points. That's really impressive. Also according to that article 45 of his 60 points were at even strength and he had a 59% Corsi.

You never know with these European signings but it wouldn't surprise me if Suomela renders Tierney expendable. He would probably be a better fit than Tierney on a third scoring line, perhaps between Meier and Donskoi.
I agree. I think he’s a potential 3C replacement. I still think Tierney is gonna get traded.

nabbyfan

Oct 4, 2007
Santa Clarita, CA
I agree. I think he’s a potential 3C replacement. I still think Tierney is gonna get traded.
Carolina is supposedly shopping some D-men, and I wonder if Tierney or Labanc could be part of a package for Hanifin or Faulk. Not sure there’s a deal to be made there but interesting to think about

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Carolina is supposedly shopping some D-men, and I wonder if Tierney or Labanc could be part of a package for Hanifin or Faulk. Not sure there’s a deal to be made there but interesting to think about

Hanifin is the 5th overall from 2015. Labanc or Tierney wouldn't help much to acquire a player of such quality. Labanc is gonna stick anyway since he's one of only three righty forwards left.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland

Suomela scored those 60 points mostly for JYP's 3rd line.
Don't let one good liiga season fool you.

Yes Suomela played in hockey world championships but he wasn't nothing special.
Scored 1 goal in 4 games and had big troubles with board battles and physical game.
Rest of the tournament Suomela sit in the press box that's all what he achieved in IIHF men's worlds.

I'm more than surprised if Suomela plays even 3 games in NHL next season.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Anyone know precisely when he was signed, or if he’s actually signing on July 1st? Teams aren’t allowed to sign players like this between June 2nd and June 30th.

Maladroit

May 9, 2018
Berkeley, CA
Anyone know precisely when he was signed, or if he’s actually signing on July 1st? Teams aren’t allowed to sign players like this between June 2nd and June 30th.

Possibly just a late announcement but considering the Sharks signed Mikkel Boedker to an illegal contract a few years ago it's entirely possible the geniuses in the front office screwed this up lol

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
Interesting, looks like a lot of his goals are "Johnny on the spot" goals. Could be interesting, but you never know until he comes over. Sorensen was hyped up a lot, and he does have some decent skills and played well in the playoffs, but he has also been invisible for huge sections.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Based on the video he reminds me of a left-handed Joe Pavelski. He's in front of the net when he doesn't have the puck, stays between the opposing team's hash marks and goal line. Picks up whatever chances he sees. Has the IQ to know what his teammates are going to do, and either feeds off of them or feeds to them.

Love this signing.

The way he skates reminds me of Michalek but I agree he’s very Pavelskish around the net. I hope he competes right out of the gate

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad