Confirmed with Link: Sharks sign Antti Suomela to 1 year ELC

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
@mouser Sharks do not announce signings until they have been accepted by Central Registry.

AFAIK, teams can sign (undrafted) free agents who are not draft eligible any time after their European season is done.
With March 1994 birthday, he's 24.

(Similar to undrafted college graduates)

Have think that Boedker or a few other guys with some term might be traded.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
@mouser Sharks do not announce signings until they have been accepted by Central Registry.

AFAIK, teams can sign (undrafted) free agents who are not draft eligible any time after their European season is done.
With March 1994 birthday, he's 24.

(Similar to undrafted college graduates)

Have think that Boedker or a few other guys with some term might be traded.

Nope. There is a restricted window during which teams are allowed to sign European draft-related free agents and college free agents to a contract that starts the next season (League Year). That window runs from March 1st through June 1st [CBA 50.8(d)].

Teams are allow to sign players to contracts covering the current League Year. However the NHL won’t for example allow a contract that signs a player now for 2017-18 when the team has no games left the player would be eligible to play in.

**This signing window applies to unsigned draft picks as well, btw.

Last edited:

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Cool, i have his team's jersey randomly. Got in from my Finnish buddy i play with in Bangkok

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
I've been wondering for a bit if having 10-11 top nine forwards might allow the Sharks to move up I'm the draft?

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
@mouser

Sharks are notorious for not announcing summer signings for a week or more.

Would guess that he was signed in the window, and the Sharks just today made the announcement.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
According to an article on The Athletic about European UFAs, Suomela led the Liiga in scoring while playing just 15:47 a game which is by far the lowest ice time average of anyone who finished top 30 in points. That's really impressive. Also according to that article 45 of his 60 points were at even strength and he had a 59% Corsi.

You never know with these European signings but it wouldn't surprise me if Suomela renders Tierney expendable. He would probably be a better fit than Tierney on a third scoring line, perhaps between Meier and Donskoi.

200 footer PK/PP center, played as a 3rd line center the entire season with PP 2 unit responsibilities, is strong at face-offs.
His +/- was almost +30 this past season, 2nd most of all forwards in the league,3rd best overall.

Pistol Pete

Dec 17, 2007
I’m excited to see what he can. Hopefully he can become another useful Euro FA signing.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose

Something I read indicated that Sharks were one of multiple teams trying to sign him.

If multiple teams were in on him, I'd assume that some of them could have guaranteed NHL time. So that means the Sharks must have guaranteed it as well...very interesting.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
If multiple teams were in on him, I'd assume that some of them could have guaranteed NHL time. So that means the Sharks must have guaranteed it as well...very interesting.

They probably said that he'd get a chance to make the team but I don't think there's a thing like a guarantee...certainly not for players on ELC's. He's gonna have to beat out the other European players...even if the Sharks move some players. Without injuries it's gonna be tough for all of them. The only one I could see having an advantage would be Praplan because he's a righty. I'm not sure how badly he wants it though. He's not necessarily known as a competitor:laugh:

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
They probably said that he'd get a chance to make the team but I don't think there's a thing like a guarantee...certainly not for players on ELC's. He's gonna have to beat out the other European players...even if the Sharks move some players. Without injuries it's gonna be tough for all of them. The only one I could see having an advantage would be Praplan because he's a righty. I'm not sure how badly he wants it though. He's not necessarily known as a competitor:laugh:

He would only have an advantage in your little world where righties are the most important aspect of a players game. You are the only person in the entire hockey world that cares what hand a player shoots.

GM's don't, coaches don't, scouts don't. And all fans don't.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
He would only have an advantage in your little world where righties are the most important aspect of a players game. You are the only person in the entire hockey world that cares what hand a player shoots.

GM's don't, coaches don't, scouts don't. And all fans don't.

In case you missed it...teams with more righty forwards tend to have more and more success as the seasons go on...just look at the current Stanley Cup final...you won't find a Stanley Cup winning team with only three righies...it's also statistically proven that lefty/righty defense pairings are better than lefty/lefty or righty/righty pairings.

Also, you probably never played hockey if you really think that it doesn't matter. It does...you can ask any goalie.

Last edited:
Reactions: Iron Mosher

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
In case you missed it...teams with more righty forwards tend to have more and more success as the seasons go on...just look at the current Stanley Cup final...it's also statistically proven that lefty/righty defense pairings are better than lefty/lefty or righty/righty pairings.

Also, you probably never played hockey if you really think that it doesn't matter. It does...you can ask any goalie.

So 10 for washington and 7 for vegas.

San jose had 8. I guess they should be better then vegas.

Boston, kings, nashville had more then those 2 teams. I guess they should of moved on.

And for the most part outside of minny. Every team is within 4 players that shoots right handed. Not that big of a difference for it to mean anything at all.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
So 10 for washington and 7 for vegas.

San jose had 8. I guess they should be better then vegas.

Boston, kings, nashville had more then those 2 teams. I guess they should of moved on.

And for the most part outside of minny. Every team is within 4 players that shoots right handed. Not that big of a difference for it to mean anything at all.

The Sharks had 8 in the lineup? Which ones? Even if you count Melker Karlsson...never ever:laugh:
And +/-4 is significant...one per line.

You can't possibly be serious...

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Sorry it is 7 wash. 5 vegas. 5 sharks.

Yeah. And of those 5, 2 were 4th liners and Donskoi was injured.
Having a righty on every line doesn't necessarily give you an advantage but you lose options if you don't have one. It's also important to have righty options on the PP. Both Washington and Vegas have some pretty good righties.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Having a righty on every line doesn't necessarily give you an advantage but you lose options if you don't have one. It's also important to have righty options on the PP. Both Washington and Vegas have some pretty good righties.

And of vegas 5. Was ryan reaves and ryan carpenter. Your point is getting muddier and muddier as you keep bringing it up.

Last 2 cup winners had 4. And that isn't using your type of line they are on either. Chicago had 3 before using lines. Kings had 6. Chicago had 3.

I see a pattern and it does not fit with your narrative of more righties.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

We had LaBanc, Pavelski, and Burns on our top PP. That’s 3 right handed players out of 5.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
It's interesting how much they seem to trust Shin Larsson, especially with the new title. Wonder if it's gonna translate to him getting draft picks too.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
It's interesting how much they seem to trust Shin Larsson, especially with the new title. Wonder if it's gonna translate to him getting draft picks too.
The sharks haven’t drafted a Finnish skater since Tero Maata in 2000. The last dman drafted out of Sweden was Bergman in 2014 and forward was Patrik Zackrisson in 2007. Makes you wonder if they scouted those countries at all until recently.

Since Doug started as GM here are the Sharks draft picks by country of origin

USA: 44
Canada: 39
Germany: 8 (Hospelt, Ehelechner, Greiss, Pielmeier, Bielke, Abeltshauser, O'Regan and Wiederer)
Russia: 4 (Sobchenko, Galimov, Goldobin, Chekhovich)
Sweden: 4 (Hult, Zackrisson, Bergvik, Bergman)
Czech Republic: 3 (All 1st round picks, Hertl, Kaspar, Michalek)
Switzerland: 3 (Mueller, Rod, Meier)
Latvia: 2 (Cukste, Balcers)
Denmark: 1 (Blichfeld)
Finland: 1 (Sateri)
Slovakia: 1 (Viedensky)

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad