Post-Game Talk: Sharks @ Sens

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Raisins_Face.jpg

Can't believe the Sens lost to the best team in the NHL.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
I like spezza i really really do, and i want him to finish his career with ottawa. im just asking for the coaching staff to acknowledge that he should not be on the penalty kill, and he should not be on the ice for defensive zone faceoffs, Hes still a top 10 player in this league, its just defence is his weakness, and i am in no way blaming spezza for this loss.

burf

Mar 27, 2012
I like spezza i really really do, and i want him to finish his career with ottawa. im just asking for the coaching staff to acknowledge that he should not be on the penalty kill, and he should not be on the ice for defensive zone faceoffs, Hes still a top 10 player in this league, its just defence is his weakness, and i am in no way blaming spezza for this loss.

The problem is that even when he gets the majority of o-zone draws - which he does - he's still getting killed in chances for/against, by a huge margin. He's not a puck-possession player, but he's playing on a puck possession team, and it really shows. He either needs to start playing "Paul MacLean hockey", or he needs linemates who can force him to do that (ie. MacArthur, Conacher, or both). Michalek being a black hole of offense doesn't help us any, either.

Huston

Sep 23, 2006
London

Strange, he has not shown weakness in any of these two areas. It is dealing with odd man rushes and the creation of odd man rushes he needs to work on. Or, I guess when he plays in the defensive zone, the entire team plays like ass.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
Karlsson looks good, when he wants to.

I wonder if it's a fitness issue (in comparison to last season) or confidence or something.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City

He has no agility. he is big and stiff.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
An effort like that against a weaker team, playing with a goalie who can make a freaking save, and it's a blowout.

A lot of positives to take from this game, the score does not represent how we played today.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Losing the fashion they did, it's frustrating. I don't care if the sharks are in first or last, the lack of attention to detail in defense is unacceptable. Lots of lazy plays made today in the defensive zone.

dingbatz

Apr 20, 2013
An effort like that against a weaker team, playing with a goalie who can make a freaking save, and it's a blowout.

A lot of positives to take from this game, the score does not represent how we played today.

Should we just come out and admit that we aren't winning the cup this year? It might help to clear the air a bit.

burf

Mar 27, 2012
This. It is one of the biggest issues with the Spezza line.

It's 3.5 things, the way I see it:

1) Lazy defensive play, just coasting around and not being hard on the puck;

2) Terrible neutral-zone play, with nobody on the line being able to gain the offensive zone with possession. Spezza used to be great at this - 2 years ago he was AMAZING at coming in on the left wall, spinning on the halfboards, and dishing it to the middle - but he seems to have completely abandoned that move. Michalek and Greening both seem incapable of doing it themselves; and

3) Inability to keep the puck in the offensive zone, once again due to all 3 players just coasting around and not being hard on the puck (seriously, watch the difference between the Turris line and the Spezza line when they're fighting to keep the puck in the zone), and also stupid giveaways leading to odd man breaks against.

3.5) Michalek blows.

Last edited:

BigBush*

Karlsson looks good, when he wants to.

I wonder if it's a fitness issue (in comparison to last season) or confidence or something.

Pretty sure it is. He starte last season in mid season form due to the lock out, but right now you can see he is exhausted at times and gives up on plays as a result of playing 28 mins a night. Hopefully he gets used to it by mid season or else he'll need his ice time reduced like Subban and only play 22 mins a night

fringie

May 20, 2013
Kanata
My two cents:

we need to give this team another 5-7 games before we judge that too harshly. I thought they had very good possession in the O-zone today, but did not or could not finish, pass up too many chances, and lacked a little luck. At the same time, it has been mentioned too many times, the turnovers has got to stop, that is just so bad now, it is not even funny. Today, I think every bad turnover ended up in the net. That is what happens when you play a top team, they make you pay for your mistakes. Sens did not do that to the Sharks. Hence, they lost.

The schedule does get a little easier, and if they still play like ****, like they have in the first 10 games. Then BM will have to shake things up with a trade. Because once getting past 20 games mark, there is not much room left for errors.

SenatorsLegionary

Member of Sens Army
Oct 25, 2008
Montreal, Qc
I didn't think the Sens were that bad today. There were stretches in the game where they pushed the play and hemmed the Sharks in their own zone, which was reassuring to see.

In the end we were outclassed, the Sens made too many mistakes and the Sharks capitalized on them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad