Friedman: Sharks, Sens have talked about an Erik Karlsson reunion

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Damn, I knew we shouldn't have traded Nick Paul!
Not big enough. Needs more Zaitsev!

No but seriously I might be in the minority but retaining only happens with a gigantic package that doesn’t make sense for the other team. Reason being is not so much money retained but 2 out of 3 retention spots being filled through 24-25.

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
Erik loves Ottawa, his wife's family is here, he spends time in offseason here.

I can't see how this would ever happen, but it's possible Ottawa is on a very short list of locations Erik would waive for. I don't think PD would be willing to part woth what it would take, even if he is willing.

The previous owner is no longer with us, so that barrier no longer exists.

New ownership is the x-factor. Karlsson would instantly increase ticket sales. He is still beloved here.

I'm glad he's lighting things up for the sharks, this is the Erik we all remember.

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
With Zaitsev not playing in the NHL anymore, I wouldn't be surprised if he went back to Russia and simply voided the last year of his contract with the Sens. Worst case, we ship him elsewhere for a 2nd when he has 1yr left. It's not a big deal.
Zaitsev isn't going to bail on the roughly $6 million he is owed.

I wonder if the Sens can make a deal with a KHL team. Say they want to pay Zaitsev $500K for the rest of this season and $1 mil for next season. They loan him, the Sens pay $4.5 mil and the KHL team pays $1.5 mil of what's owed on the contract. This is what happens when a coach is fired, and gets a new coaching gig before the owed contract is up.

Another option is wait until he is paid his $2 million bonus July 1. Then trade him to a team like Arizona with his $4.5 mil cap hit and $2.5 mil cash owing. What would the Sens have to attach? A 3rd round pick? It helps Arizona save money, as they can go another $2 million below the cap in cash paid out.

As for Karlsson, I'm sure the potential new owners of the Sens would love more star power on the team. The difficulty is the money retained. The Sens won't want to pay $11.5 mil for another 4 years. The Sharks will want a team to pay as much of that is possible. Where is the sweet spot? And as the retained money goes up, the asset cost to acquire Karlsson goes up. Karlsson at $11.5 mil might be worth a 4th round pick. Karlsson at $8 mil might be worth 2 1st round picks. (note: I'm just making this up, I have no idea how much Karlsson is worth in trade at these 2 salary levels).

If Karlsson is acquired, the Sens will need to trade DeBrincat, as Karlsson is getting his future money. I would do that, as great as DeBrincat is, the Sens have lots of high scoring forwards, and basically has 3 solid NHL defenseman.

Last edited:
Reactions: KevinRedkey

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Chabot and Karlsson both being on the roster doesn't make sense. You have just re-created the "too many guys that need to get fed offensive minutes" problem that SJ just fixed by getting rid of Burns.

Reactions: Evgeny Oliker

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
Why? Do the Sens need the assistance of Karlsson's wife to get another player off the books?

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
I like Karlsson making our tank games at least entertaining, and he seems like a really nice dude. I would love to see him in the playoffs, but would be sad to see him leave. Reimier, on the other hand... that dude is gonna cost us a shot at Bedard.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Chabot and Karlsson both being on the roster doesn't make sense. You have just re-created the "too many guys that need to get fed offensive minutes" problem that SJ just fixed by getting rid of Burns.

Chabot and Karlsson do not play similar games, EK has waaaaay more offence. EK is ok defensively, but an absolute offensive play driver.
Chabot is a great skater and exceptional in transition. He is an average defender and pretty good offensively.

They would also play in opposite pairings, this is an incredible top 4 imo.

Sanderson Karlsson
Chabot Zub

Reactions: sennysensen

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
Ottawa is going to have to pay Sanderson big bucks before Karlsson's contract is up so it probably couldn't happen realistically is if DeBrincat is resigned. That begs the question if DeBrincat to SJ as part of the deal makes any sense (though I'm sure that would be scoffed at by sens fans).

Personally I haven't seen a good fit thus far so I'd be open to the idea.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I see someone who can come in and be a minute muncher.
He'd no doubt be made welcome by the boards tank commanders
Why do we need a minute muncher? I’d rather play the young D that actually might be something or the old D that are better. He’s not better than any of EK, Megna, Vlasic, Benning, Simek, Ferraro, Cicek, Merkley, shit even Harrington is probably better.

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
Why do we need a minute muncher? I’d rather play the young D that actually might be something or the old D that are better. He’s not better than any of EK, Megna, Vlasic, Benning, Simek, Ferraro, Cicek, Merkley, shit even Harrington is probably better.
A lot of managers/coaches like to play vets over youth
So you're saying all our defenders are better than him?

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
If a deal is struck with the Sens to send Karlsson back who do you see being sent back? I'd rather pick up a Zaitzev than retain
I would too but I don’t see a deal with the Sens. For me, it would be Greig+1st+another solid piece+Zaitsev and no way are we getting their fans to agree to that. I think discussing an EK trade on the main boards is a huge waste of time because maybe 10% of fans on this board that aren’t Sharks fans watch Sharks games.

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
I would too but I don’t see a deal with the Sens. For me, it would be Greig+1st+another solid piece+Zaitsev and no way are we getting their fans to agree to that. I think discussing an EK trade on the main boards is a huge waste of time because maybe 10% of fans on this board that aren’t Sharks fans watch Sharks games.
It's HF where everybody dreams up scenarios where they get their guy for just the price they want to pay. Even with Karlsson playing better he's still is overpaid. I don't have much hope for any kind of huge/big return

Reactions: CupfortheSharks

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
It's HF where everybody dreams up scenarios where they get their guy for just the price they want to pay. Even with Karlsson playing better he's still is overpaid. I don't have much hope for any kind of huge/big return
I mean if we aren’t getting a big return then keep him. It’s as simple as that for me. Even with Karlsson this team sucks. I’m also expecting us to move Timo and Reimer so we will be even worse. At least give us something to watch night in and night out.

Reactions: Babyshark

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
I mean if we aren’t getting a big return then keep him. It’s as simple as that for me. Even with Karlsson this team sucks. I’m also expecting us to move Timo and Reimer so we will be even worse. At least give us something to watch night in and night out.
Not going to be much left to watch if we ship Timo and Reimer out.
Reimer I expect to see traded off. Timo I'd rather see resigned.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
If a deal is struck with the Sens to send Karlsson back who do you see being sent back? I'd rather pick up a Zaitzev than retain

If you take Zaitsev AND retain 50% then the Sens are in the conversation.
Anything else is pretty much not possible from the Sens end.

For that I’d do 2024 1st and Thomson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad