Friedman: Sharks, Sens have talked about an Erik Karlsson reunion

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I don't see Ottawa as being a fit unless Zub walks and Zaitsev doesn't have San Jose on his no-trade list. I don't find the odds of both those things being true to be very good but Grier would be doing the right thing to listen and see what Ottawa would want to do if they have interest in acquiring Karlsson regardless. I can't imagine that 50% retention is on the table but if it is, it will cost something that Ottawa won't want to part with. I honestly think Montreal makes more sense in trying to acquire Karlsson because they have more flexibility in terms of cap space and players to return to that help the cap dollars balance out. Issue is that Montreal probably doesn't have interest in adding to compete for a playoff spot at this stage.

A lot of this also depends on how Karlsson feels about the situation in San Jose. I bet it sucks for him but it doesn't seem like he'd take the first opportunity literally anywhere else in the league at this stage so it's going to have to be a place that interests him. If he only wants to go back to Ottawa and won't accept anything else similar to how Marleau only wanted to go back to San Jose when Toronto was through with him, it could make for a very dicey situation if Ottawa isn't willing to play ball on the return (which is their right given the leverage involved there).
Zaitsev’s NTC is irrelevant. If San Jose is on it the Sharks and Sens can have a handshake agreement as part of the deal that the Sharks are required to claim him off waivers from Ottawa. This is how Todd Marchant wound up in Anaheim back in the day.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Zaitsev’s NTC is irrelevant. If San Jose is on it the Sharks and Sens can have a handshake agreement as part of the deal that the Sharks are required to claim him off waivers from Ottawa. This is how Todd Marchant wound up in Anaheim back in the day.
I can't see Mike Grier being one to agree to such things. Either Zaitsev agrees to come over for whatever reason or he has San Jose on his no-trade list and that should be honored by both Ottawa and San Jose. We don't need to start acting like Vegas. We're not winning any Karlsson deal and we're not competing so there's no rush to move Karlsson by any means necessary.

Reactions: themelkman

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
I don't agree. Karlsson is better than Chabot. That's the point. He also plays the same kind of minutes that you'd want to give to Chabot and neither are the defensive stalwarts that the Sens need more of. The best composition would be EK, Sanderson, Zub, shutdown LD.
Sanderson is a shutdown LD. Just so happens he can also attack.

Sanderson-Karlsson
Chabot-Zub

is a better composition than …

Sanderson-Zub
Oh shit we need a new guy - Karlsson

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Sanderson-Karlsson
Chabot-Zub

Sanderson-Zub

I would rather not have multiple top 4D that are defensive liabilities and I'd rather not have an $8m offensive D-man who isn't one of the two best PP QBs on his team.

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
I would rather not have multiple top 4D that are defensive liabilities and I'd rather not have an $8m offensive D-man who isn't one of the two best PP QBs on his team.
I hear ya, The thing about a top 4 though is, there are 4 of them.

Ottawa don't have this "lefty Zub" player in their squad or in their pipeline. Currently Chabot is a significantly better defender than Mr Nobody.

There is also the argument that perhaps Chabot will not be a liability if he is playing 22 minutes instead of 27.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Sharks should dump him
He’s going to get hurt and slow down again
Eat 50
Take Zaitsev
Brainstorm and a 1st should do it

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Tbf he did say in the very next sentence that 25% and taking back some contracts and picks was more realistic.
Ya, he (Hodge) said 50% initially and then 25% later in the same post.

If I focus on a composite of what I've seen, I've seen posts with 50%, some with 25%, so lots of different ideas. We'll see what happens.

I think some Senator fans expectations were a little high so what we are seeing now is reaction or maybe overreaction to what's been happening. A lot of the reaction has been about trading for this player or that player. It could be that it will just take a little longer to reach our goals. It could be a good idea to remain calm and not over react and make a bad move. I'd say finding a good partner to play with Chabot & Sanderson should be the priority versus getting another defender that plays the same style as Chabot.

Last edited:

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
Ya, he (Hodge) said 50% initially and then 25% later in the same post.

If I focus on a composite of what I've seen, I've seen posts with 50%, some with 25%, so lots of different ideas. Well see what happens. I think some Senator fans expectations were a little high so what we are seeing now is reaction or maybe overreaction to what's been happening. A lot of the reactions has been about trading for this player or that player. It could be that it will just take a little longer to reach our goals. It could be a good idea to remain calm and not over react and make a bad move.
In previous threads, $3m retention (26%) for future considerations seems to have been a nice place to start negotiations.

Seems pretty simple after that.

More retention = Ottawa adds more
Take Zaitsev = Ottawa adds more
SJ wants high value assets = retain more and/or take Zaitsev

Last edited:

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
In previous threads $3m retention for future considerations seems to have been a nice place to start negotiations.

Seems pretty simple after that.

More retention = Ottawa adds more
Take Zaitsev = Ottawa adds more
SJ wants high value assets = retain more or take Zaitsev
OK, Karlsson is one idea or alternative.

I added this sentence afterwards: "I'd say finding a good partner to play with Chabot & Sanderson should be the priority versus getting another defender that plays the same style as Chabot."

The first priority is correctly identifying the needs & requirements. Then the next step is to target (the right player) players that meet those criteria. The problem that needs to solved needs to be identified correctly. The price step comes after and later. They do say ready, aim, fire in that specific sequence for a reason. There's also an expression about a solution looking for or in need of a problem.

Last edited:

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019

Sanderson-Karlsson
Chabot-Zub

Sanderson-Zub
That could happen if Zub does not resign.

I agree that the priority should be identifying the type of defender that would play well with Chabot and Sanderson. They both need the correct partners to get the best out of them and the optimal result. Hence, Karlsson is more of the same of what we have already.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
The Sharks may need to take Zaitsev and Hamonic's contracts and San Jose may need to retain as well (or find a third party).

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
OK, Karlsson is one idea or alternative.

I added this sentence afterwards: "I'd say finding a good partner to play with Chabot & Sanderson should be the priority versus getting another defender that plays the same style as Chabot."

The first priority is correctly identifying the needs & requirements. Then the next step is to target (the right player) players that meet those criteria. The problem that needs to solved needs to be identified correctly. The price step comes after and later. They do say ready, aim, fire in that specific sequence for a reason. There's also an expression about a solution looking for or in need of a problem.
Yeah - totally agree - but I think any legitimate Karlsson interest would be an admission that they have given up on finding a suitable shutdown RHD.

There are also some Sens fans who feel that having all of the puck movers play the same side of the ice a bit predictable and easy for teams to plan for. There is an argument to be made for having at least one PMD on the right.

The Sharks may need to take Zaitsev and Hamonic's contracts and San Jose may need to retain as well (or find a third party).
They have plenty of cap space this year, and Hamonic is expiring. No need to move him. Josh Norris is on IR currently. If they wanted to exceed the cap, they could place him on LTIR retroactively and could go over by $4-5m.

Zaitsev for sure. Maybe Joseph too.

Reactions: Big Muddy

Leviathan

Nov 25, 2008
Friedman mentioned the Panthers as a potential suitor though the cap dynamics would make it tough. This was during the intermission of the Leafs Devils game.

SweSensFan

Feb 15, 2019
That could happen if Zub does not resign.

I agree that the priority should be identifying the type of defender that would play well with Chabot and Sanderson. They both need the correct partners to get the best out of them and the optimal result. Hence, Karlsson is more of the same of what we have already.
While I agree and personally don't see Karlsson as a good idea to bring in at this point. It would be pretty interesting to see Karlsson-Sanderson playing together..

SensFan4lyfe

Nov 2, 2022
It makes so much sense for a team thats not going to make the play offs

has multiple injuries to key players already

in the middle of a rebuild

in one of the deepest drafts ever

to take on an 11m does injury prone dman

Who does that? make them good enough so there not good enough to make the playoffs?

but not good enough to get a decent pick?

oh wait we wouldnt have one because this 11m dollar injury prone dman would apparently cost a first

No just no we shouldnt touch him

Hes been good for less than 20 games like im not jumping on this all of a sudden hes back band wagon

If ottawa trrades for Karlson it would be a waist of assests and the move of a dumb ass gm

WAIT we have one of those.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
With Zaitsev not playing in the NHL anymore, I wouldn't be surprised if he went back to Russia and simply voided the last year of his contract with the Sens. Worst case, we ship him elsewhere for a 2nd when he has 1yr left. It's not a big deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad