Recalled/Assigned: Sharks roster moves 2021-22: 4/17 Hatakka recalled

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Leonard's up, going straight into a prominent role:

Good. I had hope for Leonard at the start of the year; he had locked down a roster spot! Instead, players like Dahlen/Weatherby/Balcers grabbed his spot and he floundered in the AHL...

Reactions: Sandisfan

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Management needs to justify blowing a 4th rounder on Pederson somehow. Trade looks even worse considering a young established third liner we could actually use in Mason Appleton just went for the same price.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
I had hope for Pederson when we traded for him but he has not gone a single thing since. Atleast give his chances to someone like Blichfeld instead at this point.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I don't think management cares about the optics around trading a 4th round pick.
It may not be the 4th round pick per se it's more that they believed in this kid for whatever reason (IIRC he scored and had a decent game against the Sharks at the end of last season) and keep waiting to be proven right. Despite ample evidence now that he's a AAAA player at best.

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009
It may not be the 4th round pick per se it's more that they believed in this kid for whatever reason (IIRC he scored and had a decent game against the Sharks at the end of last season) and keep waiting to be proven right. Despite ample evidence now that he's a AAAA player at best.

No doubt Pederson has yet to find an NHL-level game and might never but a quick look over the Cuda roster and you'd be hard-pressed to make a strong case for someone over him. Unless you are leaning heavily on the "let's give him a look" justification which I personally believe is terrible reasoning for multiple reasons.

I do think you are correct in Pederson getting more opportunity because coaching/scouting see something they like in his game.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
No doubt Pederson has yet to find an NHL-level game and might never but a quick look over the Cuda roster and you'd be hard-pressed to make a strong case for someone over him. Unless you are leaning heavily on the "let's give him a look" justification which I personally believe is terrible reasoning for multiple reasons.

I do think you are correct in Pederson getting more opportunity because coaching/scouting see something they like in his game.
I agree that "let's give him a look" made no sense when the team was at least in a position to pretend they were in a playoff race but now I would much rather see what Blichfeld or Halbgewachs can do in the NHL than Pederson. Unless the Sharks have already made the decision to move on from those two in the summer which is possible.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
I agree that "let's give him a look" made no sense when the team was at least in a position to pretend they were in a playoff race but now I would much rather see what Blichfeld or Halbgewachs can do in the NHL than Pederson. Unless the Sharks have already made the decision to move on from those two in the summer which is possible.
Halbgewachs looked solid in his time up here earlier in the season. I'm a little biased but I'd like to see him get another chance.

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009

I suspect both will get a handful of games before the end of the season but hasn't Pederson shown more at the AHL level than both of them?

They sent Pederson down about a month ago and since then he has been the most productive Cuda forward. Bringing up someone else up to "give him a look" is a bad example when Pederson has earned another shot over those players, if he falters, which is likely, you can send him back down.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I suspect both will get a handful of games before the end of the season but hasn't Pederson shown more at the AHL level than both of them?

They sent Pederson down about a month ago and since then he has been the most productive Cuda forward. Bringing up someone else up to "give him a look" is a bad example when Pederson has earned another shot over those players, if he falters, which is likely, you can send him back down.
They gave Pederson 25 NHL games and he wasn't just bad he was one of the worst players in the league statistically. Not that I think Blichfeld or Halbgewachs will do significantly better but there's a chance they exceed that low bar. Also Pederson is already under contract for next season while the other two are not so it seems more beneficial to get a read on what they (particularly Blichfeld) are capable of IMO. But like I said maybe a decision has already been made to move on.

Ultimately it probably doesn't matter because none of these three guys are likely to have longterm NHL careers.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I had hope for Pederson when we traded for him but he has not gone a single thing since. Atleast give his chances to someone like Blichfeld instead at this point.
I really don't think Blichfeld is anything either. I'd say McGrew is your best bet of the guys left on the Cuda but even then, no noteworthy centers

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
I really don't think Blichfeld is anything either. I'd say McGrew is your best bet of the guys left on the Cuda but even then, no noteworthy centers

Has McGrew demonstrated anything beyond being a mediocre AHL forward?

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
You have to wonder...Coe, Guschin, Wiesblatt, Robins, maybe Bordeleau, Oberg, and Young are going to be on the AHL roster. Is there space for a Pederson/Blichfeld/McGrew/Halbgewachs? Especially since you want some veterans on that AHL squad...

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
You have to wonder...Coe, Guschin, Wiesblatt, Robins, maybe Bordeleau, Oberg, and Young are going to be on the AHL roster. Is there space for a Pederson/Blichfeld/McGrew/Halbgewachs? Especially since you want some veterans on that AHL squad...
Pederson is under contract. Halbgewachs will be a UFA and can go wherever he wants in search of a better opportunity.

Right now I have Reedy, Weatherby, Pederson, Raska, Ibragimov, Hamaliuk, Gushchin, Coe, Robins, and Wiesblatt under contract next season and expected to start the season with the Barracuda. Leonard and McGrew are waiver-ineligible RFAs. Viel is under contract and must pass through waivers. Chmelevski and Gallant could be brought back but must pass through waivers. Bordeleau and Oberg could be brought in, with Spiridonov and Young less likely to sign deals. Eklund could also play on the Barracuda but likely won't start there.

I don't expect Blichfeld to come back - they already gave him another shot this year and he impressed so much that he hasn't sniffed the NHL roster of a team regularly icing offensive zeroes without a righty in the lineup. I don't know what to think about Morand. McGrew seems like a bust; Gallant probably isn't much either but he is a center.

So, in summary:

Eklund, Reedy, Viel on the NHL roster.

Gushchin - Weatherby - Pederson*
Leonard - Robins - Coe
Oberg - Chmelevski* - Wiesblatt
Hamaliuk/Ibragimov - Gallant* or Morand* - Raska
Topping, Pasichnuk on AHL deals.

Bordeleau, Young, Spitserov in college; Spiridonov in Russia; Cardwell overage in juniors.

Something like that is kind of what I expect right now. Pederson, Chmelevski, and one of Gallant or Morand are the forward vets held over.

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose

We've been talking pretty regularly now about who we even want back from this Barracuda team while we watch games lately. On that list: Pederson (provided he clears waivers) and Halbgewachs. That's about it. Blichfeld has taken a big step back in a lot of ways and McGrew is pretty replaceable.

If you need to open up more roster space, there's Ibragimov and Hamaliuk. Ibragimov has already been sent to the ECHL and Hamaliuk can just be a regular healthy scratch (he basically already is right now). Neither of them IMO should be taken into account when we're talking about AHL roster spots.

Gallant and Morand also fall under the category of "They could be back, but if they're not, whatever."

I also want Weinger back, again.

Reactions: CupfortheSharks

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
AHL - has no roster limit, and no cap. The only reason to send a guy to ECHL is enough depth in house to cover (immediate) injuries and the kid needs more ice time.

(NHL gets like $1.25m relief if sending guy down.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad