Recalled/Assigned: Sharks roster moves 2021-22: 4/17 Hatakka recalled

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
I hope he can get a chance to try out 2nd line for a game or two replacing Gregor. I don't know much about him as a player, but his shot seems to be the thing and the 2nd line needs that kind of a player.

He's a shooter, yeah. I'd like to see them push Gregor down the lineup and try a couple Barracuda wingers at that second line spot. Someone who can actually shoot the puck well is as good a pick as any.

I think Blichfeld was playing more complete hockey last season, he's backed off on the physicality some. But he's had some good games over this past month.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Imagine Gregor's game with Blichfeld's shot. One could dream.

I don't think Gregor's problem is his shot. I think it's his brain - he just doesn't actually use his physical skills in an effective way, but merely produces empty calories.

Reactions: YUPPY 2 7 10 11

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
I don't think Gregor's problem is his shot. I think it's his brain - he just doesn't actually use his physical skills in an effective way, but merely produces empty calories.

He misses the net a lot whenever he gets his rushes. But yes, I don't think he's that smart either.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002

Gregor seems to have an "average" hockey sense. I think a lot of his problem is that he just doesn't have the skill to do too much. He has high-end (not elite) speed and, from what I've heard, an above-average shot. But against a working NHL defense, those skills can only take you so far. He really is more effective as a more defensively-oriented player who can reach loose pucks and maybe pop in an opportune goal or two. If he's the primary sniper or playmaker on a line then that line isn't going to score much.

sharks_dynasty

Oct 25, 2006
San Jose, CA
Gregor seems to have an "average" hockey sense. I think a lot of his problem is that he just doesn't have the skill to do too much. He has high-end (not elite) speed and, from what I've heard, an above-average shot. But against a working NHL defense, those skills can only take you so far. He really is more effective as a more defensively-oriented player who can reach loose pucks and maybe pop in an opportune goal or two. If he's the primary sniper or playmaker on a line then that line isn't going to score much.
I feel he has another level we have yet to see. He’s been effective in the AHL, but just hasn’t found his groove yet with the big club. Hopefully he does soon.

mogambomoroo

Oct 12, 2020
I feel he has another level we have yet to see. He’s been effective in the AHL, but just hasn’t found his groove yet with the big club. Hopefully he does soon.

I really really hope too, but the clock is ticking for Gregor.

Like they say, if it's not broken don't fix it. If they win games with Gregor as a 2nd line guy, keep him there.
It would be great if they tried something new in the 2nd line.

Reactions: sharks_dynasty

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010

I'm hoping he's able to take another step in his development. I feel like where his game is this year compared to previous years shows a pretty drastic move forward. It's that old adage about the game needing to slow down for some players when they make the jump. This year, it feels like it has for him to some degree, allowing him to be a more effective player overall.

But maybe it needs to slow down a little more for him to allow his hockey brain or his shooting hands or whatever to actually allow him to score goals in the league. It's important to remember that development is different for every player; if we're lucky, there's more to come for Gregor. He honestly doesn't feel too far off from being a good third line player, maybe a fringe second liner--but that final leap can be the hardest part for some. No guarantee it happens, but for now I'm willing to be patient with him to see if it does.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
After playing this past weekend with Cuda, Sawchenko has been recalled to taxi squad for road trip.

(Assuming sometime sooner than later EK65 will be put on IR or LTIR to open a roster spot as a minimum after Monday's surgery.)

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Sharks empty their taxi squad for break. Sawchenko, Raska, Merkley, Weatherby back with Cuda. (Drake released from PTO; Emonds recalled from ECHL, possibly heading back with reinforcements arriving.)

(Guessing that Hill was activated from IR as NHL teams are required to have 2 goalies on roster, with Sawchenko back to AHL.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad