Recalled/Assigned: Sharks roster moves 2019-20: 3/7 Knyzhov and DeSimone recalled

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
It's not likely other teams are calling about him, so not sure that there is much of an asset management angle. Not sure where we are in terms of roster slots, but that might have more value to the organization than Brodz does at this point. He is no Nieto or Carpenter.

Wilson also has a history of giving guys shots elsewhere when they aren't in the Sharks' LT plan.

Best guess is either a) Wilson knows he won't get claimed, or b) he fell and other prospects rose to this point and he isn't perceived as having much value, so Wilson is exposing him for options elsewhere.
The Sharks valued him enough to sign him then assign him to the AHL instead of releasing him outright so of course it's an asset management angle. It always is. I frankly don't get the idea that the Sharks are just going to let players go like that. Good GMs avoid that kind of careless management.

As LadyStanley showed he's safe from being claimed for a little while at least. I guess he must be playing well.

Last edited:

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
The Sharks valued him enough to sign him then assign him to the AHL instead of releasing him outright so of course it's an asset management angle. It always is. I frankly don't get the idea that the Sharks are just going to let players go like that. Good GMs avoid that kind of careless management.

As LadyStanley showed he's safe from being claimed for a little while at least. I guess he must be playing well.

He was available to be claimed when initially waived and cleared, no? I still question that he has value beyond "future considerations" until his NHL play suggests otherwise.

Wilson has proactively sent along better players for no return to provide the potential for opportunities elsewhere, arguably part of what makes SJ an attractive FA destination.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
He was available to be claimed when initially waived and cleared, no? I still question that he has value beyond "future considerations" until his NHL play suggests otherwise.

Wilson has proactively sent along better players for no return to provide the potential for opportunities elsewhere, arguably part of what makes SJ an attractive FA destination.
Yes but he trades them. Even if for future considerations. Makes sense he wasn't claimed when he was sent down. Most teams are relatively healthy and want to see what internal options can fill their 4th line before claiming someone like him. My disagreement isn't in his value it's in the idea that DW will let him go for free especially when we don't know how the kids will pan out. He may very well end up as the best option later in the season. None of us can predict that at this point.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Yes but he trades them. Even if for future considerations. Makes sense he wasn't claimed when he was sent down. Most teams are relatively healthy and want to see what internal options can fill their 4th line before claiming someone like him. My disagreement isn't in his value it's in the idea that DW will let him go for free especially when we don't know how the kids will pan out. He may very well end up as the best option later in the season. None of us can predict that at this point.

He didn't trade carpenter. He didnt trade matt nieto. Like has been said before he has allowed better more experienced players go via waivers.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
He didn't trade carpenter. He didnt trade matt nieto. Like has been said before he has allowed better more experienced players go via waivers.

I think he knew Nieto was going to be claimed by the Avs. I don’t think he was tracking Carpenter though. But look at a guy like Wingels. He will definitely move players into a situation they can flourish. Likewise, he is pretty good at selling high (or simply letting go) on depreciating assets. Dare I say it, Doug Wilson is actually pretty smart.

And this is a complete tangent, but I think a lot of the flak he gets for not winning a cup is due to his greater desire to always stay in the conversation. If you let him do a full tank and rebuild with this team, I think it would go better than we’ve seen in a lot of other organizations. But even greater than his desire to win a cup, is his aim to always stay in the playoffs. I think those two goals are conflicting in many ways. From a pure game theory perspective, you can view draft picks as a random lottery ticket. Earlier picks result in higher expected value. The team then, is simply the sum of that expected value, and your win percentage is simply the difference between two teams. You increase your odds of winning a cup by maximizing that expected value. To tank is simply a min-max theory. We never truly maximize our expected value as a result. We hedge with steady consistent returns. His ability to consistently guess on the right side of that is simply a testament to his acumen as a hockey executive.

Last edited:

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
I went to the last 2 Cuda games and the promotion of Gregor and now Brodzinski make perfect sense to me. Cuda forward lines last game:

Bergmann- Kellman- Brodzinski
Halbgewachs - True - Blichfeld
Yurtaykin - Letunov - Chekhovich
McCarthy - Suomela - Viel

Bergmann and Brodzinski were the best forwards for the Cuda. Sending Brodzinski on the road trip and leaving Bergmann with the Cuda for more practice time and top line minutes to learn the details of our system makes sense.

Yurtaykin showed offensive flash but clearly needs some time to work on the rest of his game.

Halbewacks also showed some offensive flash but I doubt he will ever be a Shark. He is too small and plays an outside game.

Kellman is getting lots of key minutes at center but didn’t really stand out to me in a good or bad way. At one point I tried to focus on him but my wife kept asking me questions.

True is a big bodied center that I don’t see shifting to wing. He doesn’t drive his line and he doesn’t PK.

Blichfeld, Letunov, and Chekhovich need to start showing up to Cuda games before they have a chance to be Sharks.

McCarthy is trusted in key defensive situations and on the PK.

Just one hockey fan’s opinion. Take it for what it’s worth.

Note: Cuda games are fun. General Admission is just $12 and you can sit pretty much anywhere. Plus even I liked doing the goal dance thing.

Reactions: NiWa

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
McCarthy is trusted in key defensive situations and on the PK.
McCarthy is on an AHL contract, and is a veteran serving as the Captain. He is there to help young guys get adapted to professional hockey life.

He is not under consideration for a call up.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Both of those guys were calculated risks who they felt they could live without or needed to. They weren't let go as a favor to give them a chance else where. they had been in the organization a while and failed to become what the organization hoped they would. Brodzinski just got here so none of that applies less than 10 games in. DW doesn't owe him a chance elsewhere yet. From the article it also sounds like he wants to be here specifically. Sorry but gonna have to agree to disagree. I don't see DW wasting him as an asset by letting him go for nothing.

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
Yeah I don't either. Disimone was the best young D other than Ferraro in the preseason. Maybe it's that stupid "handedness" thing that makes Carrick the guy to get called up...?
He is only going to play in an emergency. (Someone is suddenly sick on gameday, or injured in pregame skate.) For that role you want a guy who has played NHL games before, and won't be suddenly overwhelmed by being told he is in the lineup, just before the game.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Both of those guys were calculated risks who they felt they could live without or needed to. They weren't let go as a favor to give them a chance else where. they had been in the organization a while and failed to become what the organization hoped they would. Brodzinski just got here so none of that applies less than 10 games in. DW doesn't owe him a chance elsewhere yet. From the article it also sounds like he wants to be here specifically. Sorry but gonna have to agree to disagree. I don't see DW wasting him as an asset by letting him go for nothing.

"The Sharks fully expect the former second round pick in 2011 (47th overall) to get claimed by another NHL club by Thursday’s 9 a.m. PT deadline.
General manager Doug Wilson said: “Matt deserves the opportunity to play in the league, and we’re happy to work with him and his agent to make this a possibility.”

Sounds alot like a favor to give him a chance to play elsewhere.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
"The Sharks fully expect the former second round pick in 2011 (47th overall) to get claimed by another NHL club by Thursday’s 9 a.m. PT deadline.
General manager Doug Wilson said: “Matt deserves the opportunity to play in the league, and we’re happy to work with him and his agent to make this a possibility.”

Sounds alot like a favor to give him a chance to play elsewhere.
Ok, so you found one player in DW's more than a decade of being GM that he did that for... Still doesn't fit with Brodzinski's situation. When is that quote from? What month? As I said previously, I don't see him doing this for a guy who's been with the organization less than 10 games into the season. Maybe your scenario happens toward the trade deadline if he is a good soldier and finds himself playing great but stuck behind guys like Bergman, Yourtalkin, Gregor etc, etc, etc... But the dude is a right wing which is by far the weakest position group on the NHL club. I don't see them letting him go for nothing. I don't believe they could have decided at this point that he is a wash and expendable like they did with Nieto who wasn't tradeable and wasn't even playing like an NHL caliber 4th liner when he got shit canned.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
AHL transactions reporting conditioning loan. Two week clock starts.

Wednesday (home), Thursday (road) games (guessing he plays just the home game). Sunday (home), Saturday (away); Sunday (home).

UncMike

Feb 13, 2012
i dont get the carrik recalls at all
Carrick makes $200 In the AHL but is guaranteed $300 this year......sitting him in the NHL helps get him to that number and is insurance in case of a pregame injury
Similarly Desimone makes $175 with a $250 guarantee, so he will get his time up on the big bench too.......simple numbers game right now

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad