Sharks Roster Discussion Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Not to pick on you specifically, but the tradition is that during the playoffs, no other hockey discussion but the playoff discussions are ever bumped. Nothing about prospects, trade speculation, draft, roster speculation, etc. The fans try to follow the example of the players in that nothing matters but the playoffs; live in the moment.

Silly tradition? Yes. Superstitious nonsense? Absolutely. But, I still like it!

I've literally never heard that.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
We've never done that to the best of my recollection. It may be your own personal tradition, but I can't say I ever remember it being one for the board at large.

I thought it was one of those unspoken traditions...

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

There was this one fellow who thought Goldobin would outscore Hansen for the rest of the regular season. But, he promised that if were wrong, he'd stop posting, so we shouldn't be hearing from him anymore.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
So this is probably really not the time for it but we should go after Alex Galchenyuk this offseason. I saw he's starting on the Habs' fourth line. Definitely a ton of talent there, maybe a future #1C.

Unquestionably. Meier ++

Intent

Dec 30, 2015
San Jose
Man, what the heck is up with Galchenyuk in Montreal? One minute I'm hearing he's scoring a point per game, the next minutes he's skating with Steve Ott. What's the deal?

They are like Boston, high skill guys get railroaded and then run outta town with sludge thrown at them. This honesty seems true of most 'hockey' cities. The tough guy image is paraded as the zenith, while the guys that actually score for you never seem to have the heart. Sad, really.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Looking at the fancy stats, seems like its more likely that Galchenyuk just had a good start to the season

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
They are like Boston, high skill guys get railroaded and then run outta town with sludge thrown at them. This honesty seems true of most 'hockey' cities. The tough guy image is paraded as the zenith, while the guys that actually score for you never seem to have the heart. Sad, really.

I wouldn't say most...Rangers, Blackhawks, Leafs, Penguins, Capitals, etc. are all speed/skill teams

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Man, what the heck is up with Galchenyuk in Montreal? One minute I'm hearing he's scoring a point per game, the next minutes he's skating with Steve Ott. What's the deal?

I wish I had a good answer. He's had some injury problems, but he just seems like he plays out of sync sometimes (lot of times), if you get what I mean. Years ago you described Matthews as a guy that just kind of flows with the game. Well Galchenyuk is like that... Except not at all. :laugh:

All the talent in the world, but things just aren't clicking for him. It's fair to question his hockey IQ, but I'm not sure that's exactly it. I'd say he just doesn't have a mature game yet. If he's available, I'd be livid if we didn't put in a good offer. I think he's more valuable then Hertl, but no way I'd make that deal. Hertl is the most untouchable Shark imo.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I wish I had a good answer. He's had some injury problems, but he just seems like he plays out of sync sometimes (lot of times), if you get what I mean. Years ago you described Matthews as a guy that just kind of flows with the game. Well Galchenyuk is like that... Except not at all. :laugh:

All the talent in the world, but things just aren't clicking for him. It's fair to question his hockey IQ, but I'm not sure that's exactly it. I'd say he just doesn't have a mature game yet. If he's available, I'd be livid if we didn't put in a good offer. I think he's more valuable then Hertl, but no way I'd make that deal. Hertl is the most untouchable Shark imo.

Seems like he needs the right linemates. Not Steve Ott.

I have him around a Hertl-quality player but with more offensive potential. Like he could be the Krejci to Hertl's Bergeron-lite.

Do you think he'll be available if the Habs go one and done this spring, presuming his play is underwhelming? Since you guys have committed to Julien and Weber, your window to contend (and show Price he should stay) is right now, yeah? I wonder if anything could be done around Galchenyuk and Couture. Couture would give them a top-30 center so they don't have to use Philip Danault (??) between Pacioretty and Radulov. And even though it feels like Galchenyuk has been around forever, he's a few months younger than Hertl.

Just a thought. I doubt the Sharks consider trading Couture but this offseason is just one :dunno: for me.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
If the Habs get knocked out in the 1st Round, do they go for a major shake up?

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Seems like he needs the right linemates. Not Steve Ott.

I have him around a Hertl-quality player but with more offensive potential. Like he could be the Krejci to Hertl's Bergeron-lite.

Do you think he'll be available if the Habs go one and done this spring, presuming his play is underwhelming? Since you guys have committed to Julien and Weber, your window to contend (and show Price he should stay) is right now, yeah? I wonder if anything could be done around Galchenyuk and Couture. Couture would give them a top-30 center so they don't have to use Philip Danault (??) between Pacioretty and Radulov. And even though it feels like Galchenyuk has been around forever, he's a few months younger than Hertl.

Just a thought. I doubt the Sharks consider trading Couture but this offseason is just one :dunno: for me.

You're right, he's a guy that needs the right linemates. Not necessarily the most talented, but the "right" ones.

I sure hope he is. I don't think Bergevin is his biggest fan, so while I won't say it's likely, I'm certain he'd consider a deal. I can see Bergevin loving Meier, and he would be a good fit for the Habs. 1000000% I think the Habs take a deal around Couture. I wouldn't do it myself, as a Sharks fan.

I think we could get Galchenyuk without hurting our current roster badly at all. Few teams could do that, but I think we could. Not sure how Habs fans will react. Their centre depth would be decimated. Relying on Plekanec to rebound, Danault to repeat, and Tierney to improve is wishful thinking. At the same time though, Bergevin seems to have some... Interesting opinions on talent.

Meier + Tierney + 1st would be my offer. It's a high price, but I think Galchenyuk could end up the best player of his draft.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
Man, looking back at trades, if we were to do some creative thinking, the Jumbo trade in today's NHL would look like:

Tierney 3rd/4th line center
Boedker 2nd line winger
Braun #3-4 D

for

Tavares/Seguin/Stamkos (25-26 year old superstars)

Intent

Dec 30, 2015
San Jose
Meier, Tierney and a first is a little steep but I would consider that.

Honestly, that seems quite reasonable IMO. You cant get bona-fide young talent without giving some up. Super ok with trading Tierney, as well as our mid-low first this year. I am liking Timo more and more as I watch, but he is hardly a lock to be an impact offensive player. Galchenyuk was knocking on that elite door earlier this year, so biting the bullet wouldn't upset me. Ofc I doubt Mtl would trade him, same reason we would never trade Hertl.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
You're right, he's a guy that needs the right linemates. Not necessarily the most talented, but the "right" ones.

I sure hope he is. I don't think Bergevin is his biggest fan, so while I won't say it's likely, I'm certain he'd consider a deal. I can see Bergevin loving Meier, and he would be a good fit for the Habs. 1000000% I think the Habs take a deal around Couture. I wouldn't do it myself, as a Sharks fan.

I think we could get Galchenyuk without hurting our current roster badly at all. Few teams could do that, but I think we could. Not sure how Habs fans will react. Their centre depth would be decimated. Relying on Plekanec to rebound, Danault to repeat, and Tierney to improve is wishful thinking. At the same time though, Bergevin seems to have some... Interesting opinions on talent.

Meier + Tierney + 1st would be my offer. It's a high price, but I think Galchenyuk could end up the best player of his draft.

I'd pull the trigger on that offer, since I too think highly of Galchenyuk. But I'd personally rather explore something around Galchy+ for Couture. I appreciate everything he's done for us and he's a real warrior, but I think he's also our best trade chip this summer. I don't think we have another year in us to contend with Thornton and Marleau, so I would get busy loading up on players in Hertl's age group. I'd keep Pavelski since he's our captain. A core around Hertl, Galchenyuk, Meier, and Labanc could be nice. Realistically our window is open until Brent Burns declines if we do that.

Intent

Dec 30, 2015
San Jose
I'd pull the trigger on that offer, since I too think highly of Galchenyuk. But I'd personally rather explore something around Galchy+ for Couture. I appreciate everything he's done for us and he's a real warrior, but I think he's also our best trade chip this summer. I don't think we have another year in us to contend with Thornton and Marleau, so I would get busy loading up on players in Hertl's age group. I'd keep Pavelski since he's our captain. A core around Hertl, Galchenyuk, Meier, and Labanc could be nice. Realistically our window is open until Brent Burns declines if we do that.

If Couture is on the table, theoretically we could incite a bidding war. High end centers don't often hit the market, especially ones under contract, and there are probably a multitude of teams what would jump at that opportunity. The Isles might part with a plethora of young assets, just as an example.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
I know you have to give to get, but the incentive isn't good enough to trade Couture for Galchenyuk. We improve our window a bit because of age, but it's more of a lateral move so you aren't actually improving the team. The goal of getting someone like Gally, Duchene, Tavares, etc is to have them, Couture, and Hertl as our top 3 centers.

I would rather try Meier++ for one of those players.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I know you have to give to get, but the incentive isn't good enough to trade Couture for Galchenyuk. We improve our window a bit because of age, but it's more of a lateral move so you aren't actually improving the team. The goal of getting someone like Gally, Duchene, Tavares, etc is to have them, Couture, and Hertl as our top 3 centers.

I would rather try Meier++ for one of those players.

But to get any of those 3 couture/hertl are moving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad