Sharks Roster Discussion Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
Dell

I have a few questions about Dell:

1. Do you think he has the potential to be a #1 goalie in the NHL?

2. Can he eventually challenge Jones for the #1 job?

Thanks.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011

Thanks.

1. Probably not
2. Probably not

But, between you and me, I kind of hope so. He's rock solid in terms of positioning although I'm not sure if he's got the sheer athleticism to make up for his size.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I guess we might as well do an end of year advanced stat check up.

Naturalstattrick links

Last 25 games(arbitrary choice, sue me):
http://www.naturalstattrick.com/pla...ilt=gpteam&fd=2016-10-12&td=2017-04-08&tgp=25

Season total:
http://www.naturalstattrick.com/pla...pfilt=none&fd=2016-10-12&td=2017-04-08&tgp=25

Personal highlights:
-Tierney might be developing into a pretty solid player. Last 25 games, he's been at a 52 CF%
-Timo's not scoring but the possession stats are ridonkulous so that's a nice sign. Good CF, FF, SCF, HDCF ratios.
-I dunno if it's the role they get stuck with but Vlasic and Braun don't work together this year. In limited minutes away from Braun, Vlasic puts up like 58 CF% vs their 46 CF% together. Braun is capable when partnered with not Vlasic.
-Personal heartbreaker: Goals go in a lot when Hertl is out there.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I guess we might as well do an end of year advanced stat check up.

Naturalstattrick links

Last 25 games(arbitrary choice, sue me):
http://www.naturalstattrick.com/pla...ilt=gpteam&fd=2016-10-12&td=2017-04-08&tgp=25

Season total:
http://www.naturalstattrick.com/pla...pfilt=none&fd=2016-10-12&td=2017-04-08&tgp=25

Personal highlights:
-Tierney might be developing into a pretty solid player. Last 25 games, he's been at a 52 CF%
-Timo's not scoring but the possession stats are ridonkulous so that's a nice sign. Good CF, FF, SCF, HDCF ratios.
-I dunno if it's the role they get stuck with but Vlasic and Braun don't work together this year. In limited minutes away from Braun, Vlasic puts up like 58 CF% vs their 46 CF% together. Braun is capable when partnered with not Vlasic.
-Personal heartbreaker: Goals go in a lot when Hertl is out there.

Vlasic and Braun legit play the hardest minutes in the league, but they've been bad this year.

Le Grand Quebecois

Jun 6, 2015
Oakland, CA
Could Ward take on a Center role on the bottom 6?

I think his faceoff % is decent and I was wondering your thoughts on the idea of him centering a bottom pairing, say as an alternative to Haley or a call-ups?

Antbox530

Feb 2, 2016

Thanks.
1. I think so, but I'd give it another year. He could go the way of stalock, but stalock had terrible AHL numbers and Dell has stellar AHL numbers so it doesn't seem likely that Dell will be non NHL quality, although he can/probably will decline a little bit. If he plays this good next year, 100% he could be a starter.

2. Even if he does play the same next year it seems highly unlikely. Jones is proven (relatively) to be a capable starter. Considering the cost to acquire Jones, his age, and his playoff performance last year, it would take Jones playing at an atrocious level and Dell being lights out for an extended period of time before that happened.

I think it would be wise for LV to take him and draft someone like pavelec and give Dell the reigns and if he falters at least they have a not God awful goalie.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
1. I think so, but I'd give it another year. He could go the way of stalock, but stalock had terrible AHL numbers and Dell has stellar AHL numbers so it doesn't seem likely that Dell will be non NHL quality, although he can/probably will decline a little bit. If he plays this good next year, 100% he could be a starter.

2. Even if he does play the same next year it seems highly unlikely. Jones is proven (relatively) to be a capable starter. Considering the cost to acquire Jones, his age, and his playoff performance last year, it would take Jones playing at an atrocious level and Dell being lights out for an extended period of time before that happened.

I think it would be wise for LV to take him and draft someone like pavelec and give Dell the reigns and if he falters at least they have a not God awful goalie.

If Jones keeps playing like he does in March, they might have no choice but to go with Dell.

FunkyPhin

Feb 2, 2011
Vancouver
If Jones keeps playing like he does in March, they might have no choice but to go with Dell.

If they have to, I have faith in Dell. Even though we haven't seen much of him this season he hasn't been a liability, except for that one game when the whole team was playing awful. Dell has been good enough for the team infront of him to win on a nightly basis. Whether that continues with more ice time or not is to be determined.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
So this is probably really not the time for it but we should go after Alex Galchenyuk this offseason. I saw he's starting on the Habs' fourth line. Definitely a ton of talent there, maybe a future #1C.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
So this is probably really not the time for it but we should go after Alex Galchenyuk this offseason. I saw he's starting on the Habs' fourth line. Definitely a ton of talent there, maybe a future #1C.

Not to pick on you specifically, but the tradition is that during the playoffs, no other hockey discussion but the playoff discussions are ever bumped. Nothing about prospects, trade speculation, draft, roster speculation, etc. The fans try to follow the example of the players in that nothing matters but the playoffs; live in the moment.

Silly tradition? Yes. Superstitious nonsense? Absolutely. But, I still like it!

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Not to pick on you specifically, but the tradition is that during the playoffs, no other hockey discussion but the playoff discussions are ever bumped. Nothing about prospects, trade speculation, draft, roster speculation, etc. The fans try to follow the example of the players in that nothing matters but the playoffs; live in the moment.

Silly tradition? Yes. Superstitious nonsense? Absolutely. But, I still like it!

We've never done that to the best of my recollection. It may be your own personal tradition, but I can't say I ever remember it being one for the board at large.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad