Sharks remove "C" from Thornton

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Any actual credible source that they tried to trade Thornton? All I've seen is speculation from fans/media that he would be traded.

No credible source just a bunch of whining from fans and speculation from the media. Whatever takes the blame of their favorite players for blowing a 3-0 series lead, I suppose.

SJGoalie32

Apr 7, 2007
TealTown, USA
Any actual credible source that they tried to trade Thornton? All I've seen is speculation from fans/media that he would be traded.

Depends on what you mean by "actual credible source?"

So far this offseason, nobody inside the Sharks organization qualifies as a credible source for much of anything.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
http://www.fearthefin.com/2014/8/22...lains-decision-to-strip-thornton-of-captaincy

FTF transcribes Larry Robinson interview on Montreal radio about changing captaincy.

Thanks. Good podcast. Based on Joe's comment and Larry's quote:

"[Thornton] had a tendency to sometimes have a cutting sense of humor and sometimes people can take that the wrong way. He sometimes had a delivery which a lot of the young kids felt intimidated by and you certainly can't be intimidated by your captain or even your assistants. You have to feel comfortable and if you had a problem or if you need something or are looking for a lift, you usually look to your leaders and your captains to get out there. And it's possible that maybe Joe didn't provide it for our team."

I just don't see how Joe could earn the C after camp. Larry makes it sound like Joe has to really alter his personality. That's a tall order.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Thanks. Good podcast. Based on Joe's comment and Larry's quote:

I just don't see how Joe could earn the C after camp. Larry makes it sound like Joe has to really alter his personality. That's a tall order.

It kinda makes you wonder how he was chosen to be captain in the first place. No doubt he was the best and most important player at the time but if his sense of humor is that grating, kind of raises some questions. It can't be that bad if you're the same age like Patty but I could understand if it was intimidating to younger players.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
It kinda makes you wonder how he was chosen to be captain in the first place. No doubt he was the best and most important player at the time but if his sense of humor is that grating, kind of raises some questions. It can't be that bad if you're the same age like Patty but I could understand if it was intimidating to younger players.

My guess would be the team was a bit older after Blake retired, I believe, than it is now.

They're basically hoping that Joe just shuts up and plays his best. Seems like an awkward situation all around.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
My guess would be the team was a bit older after Blake retired, I believe, than it is now.

They're basically hoping that Joe just shuts up and plays his best. Seems like an awkward situation all around.

Everything that Larry says does make sense though. I can see from one point of view that the captain should be the captain until they're gone and that's generally the case in the hockey world but on the other hand, why should they be? Teams change over time and so does team identity. Just because he was a good captain for the team at one point, that doesn't really mean he'll be a good captain for the team in its current iteration. I think there's only like 5 guys left from when he was made captain anyways.

Evincar

I have found the way
Aug 10, 2012
What exactly does stripping Thornton and Marleau of their letters do?

Im still trying to figure out if the Sharks are rebuilding or contending this year.

Sleepy

rEf jOsE
Apr 7, 2009

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
Oh my lord. People felt Joe was an intimidating captain because he had a sense of humor? The Sharks officially have the softest team in the league.

Seriously. Softest team ever. Done and closed.

I'm not saying Joe was ever out of line or anything, but you mean to tell me you've never been in a situation where someones "humor" was disruptive? I can count several personal experiences of this happening in my life, and I'm a pretty crude and blunt person. There's the right way and the wrong way - maybe, just MAYBE Joe's is the wrong way.

But obviously I have no idea.

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA
New spin: Joe is tougher on children than his opponents.

I'm waiting for them to say that Jumbo "may have" run over a dog on purpose. Someone just needs to put a gag on the whole team for a while. It shouldn't be this easy to make tabloid-ready quotes.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
If the Sharks had won more than they have (not necessarily even the Cup, I bet), management would say "tough luck, youngsters". I'm sure they've tolerated it (and more) for awhile.

Lose in epic fashion the pendulum swings. Joe's no dummy. His "surprise" is posturing and hints at entitlement. Let's see if how he reacts.

I do like Patty's response. Confidence.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Oh my lord. People felt Joe was an intimidating captain because he had a sense of humor? The Sharks officially have the softest team in the league.

Seriously. Softest team ever. Done and closed. Let's hand the team over to the softies because that's a winning formula.

So what you're suggesting is that we trade all the young players?

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
So what you're suggesting is that we trade all the young players?

I would say give them another season to see if they can acclimate before blowing up the locker-room (Robinson's quote has to cause some awkward tension now). If it's still a problem, then do something.

I'm assuming that the players that have been here for a while aren't the ones that are complaining (Marleau, Pavelski, Couture, Vlasic, Demers, Braun, Burns, etc). So that leaves players like Sheppard, Wingels, Nieto, Hertl? Last season was the first time they've been a mainstay on this roster, yet it sounds like DW is taking their word to be gospel.

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA
First day of camp, I want Thornton to kick in the door of the locker room and be like, "I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubble gum. Which one of you is the narc?"

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
I would say give them another season to see if they can acclimate before blowing up the locker-room (Robinson's quote has to cause some awkward tension now). If it's still a problem, then do something.

I'm assuming that the players that have been here for a while aren't the ones that are complaining (Marleau, Pavelski, Couture, Vlasic, Demers, Braun, Burns, etc). So that leaves players like Sheppard, Wingels, Nieto, Hertl? Last season was the first time they've been a mainstay on this roster, yet it sounds like DW is taking their word to be gospel.

Not to suggest they're the ones who felt uncomfortable or said anything but I'd consider them youngster in a way.

Larry's an experienced, savvy hockey person. Him making these thoughts public is just a way of reinforcing to Joe, you're not protected anymore. I'm sure DW, TMac, Larry knew this about Joe for awhile. Why now to start making your thoughts public? They're probably comfortable whatever way Joe reacts.

Ball's in Joe's court.

Mafoofoo

Jawesome
Jul 3, 2010
Laguna Beach
Not to suggest they're the ones who felt uncomfortable or said anything but I'd consider them youngster in a way.

Larry's an experienced, savvy hockey person. Him making these thoughts public is just a way of reinforcing to Joe, you're not protected anymore. I'm sure DW, TMac, Larry knew this about Joe for awhile. Why now to start making your thoughts public? They're probably comfortable whatever way Joe reacts.

Ball's in Joe's court.

Joe could easily pout, refuse to waive and make generally extremely miserable for everyone if he wanted to. Sharks are playing a pretty dangerous game right now.

Here's hoping Jumbo comes into camp as a mean dictator and takes the C back.

DystopianTierney

V^V^V 2050 V^V^V
May 3, 2014
Campbell, CA
"[Thornton] had a tendency to sometimes have a cutting sense of humor and sometimes people can take that the wrong way. He sometimes had a delivery which a lot of the young kids felt intimidated by and you certainly can't be intimidated by your captain or even your assistants. You have to feel comfortable and if you had a problem or if you need something or are looking for a lift, you usually look to your leaders and your captains to get out there. And it's possible that maybe Joe didn't provide it for our team."

:biglaugh:

Called it....

Man, this team has been nothing but embarrassing this offseason.

Too bad the Sharks didn't get the Winter Classic....

This **** is made for "reality" TV. :cf:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad