Sharks remove "C" from Thornton

WantonAbandon

Oct 16, 2011
Thanks. Good podcast. Based on Joe's comment and Larry's quote:

I just don't see how Joe could earn the C after camp. Larry makes it sound like Joe has to really alter his personality. That's a tall order.

Yeah, yeah Thornton is big and loud with an overpowering personality. As another blogger humorously joked: By stripping Joe Thornton of a letter on his jersey his team mates won't have to talk to or even look at that loser...

Well by Larry Robinson's own argument, the captaincy should be given back to Marleau. He probably isn't intimidating except for his overwhelming awesomeness. Although, perhaps Marleau gives out a devastating disapproving stare and head shake, like this: :shakehead

I still maintain that this all means almost nothing. The locker room dynamic will fall organically regardless of who has a letter on their jersey. The letter thing is the organizations feeble attempt at best or a superficial attempt at worst to influence locker room politics. Personally I think the NHL should do away with the practice, and that it has only remained due to tradition.

Mafoofoo

Jawesome
Jul 3, 2010
Laguna Beach
Honestly part of this feels like they know they're doing something which is super unpopular so they're trying to start a smear campaign against Thornton so people aren't as mad. And looking around its kinda failing.

BCShark

Feb 21, 2007
this team is going to be a mess this season with this side show, circus like offseason

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007
I think it's pretty clear what's going on here but feel like the point is being missed.

The m/m is not happy with Joe's leadership. Whatever spin they put on it is virtually moot - he's still a key asset and employee so they can't fully throw him under the bus - but the fact a senior coach is willing to call him out indirectly on it tells you all you need to know.

Does anyone really expect Robinson or another coach to say something truly condemning, especially if there's a chance he may be traded later in the year?

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
this team is going to be a mess this season with this side show, circus like offseason

And how would that differ from your opinion on any other season? :laugh:

I think it's pretty clear what's going on here but feel like the point is being missed.

The m/m is not happy with Joe's leadership. Whatever spin they put on it is virtually moot - he's still a key asset and employee so they can't fully throw him under the bus - but the fact a senior coach is willing to call him out indirectly on it tells you all you need to know.

Does anyone really expect Robinson or another coach to say something truly condemning, especially if there's a chance he may be traded later in the year?

I think it's management that's intimidated by Joe and they're just laying it on the players :laugh:

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
I don't really agree with the sentiment expressed by LR-I was just relaying a different perspective. In the end the players will need to motivate themselves and not be held back by the captain. Whomever that is at the time.

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
The most successful captains of the modern NHL are Toews and Brown. What do you think that commonalities between them are?

The top of the list for me is they are surrounded by the two best teams in the league.
I didn't include Brown when I did a survey of sidestories on successful captains a couple of years ago. The commonality that I found was intensity. Intense does NOT mean confrontational. It means works hard, is on time and is all about hockey. A smaller sample of those stories touched on the issue of inclusiveness which is being referenced by LR. I did not find a successful captain who was not inclusive. Lots of sidestories about supporting lesser teammates with the coaching staff, going out of their way for lesser guys on the team, etc. No "isms" with regards teammates.

I did have sidestories in the early years with the Sharks for JT being supportive and inclusive. I haven't seen anything positive in the last 3 or 4 years. I haven't seen anything directly negative although some of the stories around the team have suggested that things were falling off the rails incrementally.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
I didn't include Brown when I did a survey of sidestories on successful captains a couple of years ago. The commonality that I found was intensity. Intense does NOT mean confrontational. It means works hard, is on time and is all about hockey. A smaller sample of those stories touched on the issue of inclusiveness which is being referenced by LR. I did not find a successful captain who was not inclusive. Lots of sidestories about supporting lesser teammates with the coaching staff, going out of their way for lesser guys on the team, etc. No "isms" with regards teammates.

I did have sidestories in the early years with the Sharks for JT being supportive and inclusive. I haven't seen anything positive in the last 3 or 4 years. I haven't seen anything directly negative although some of the stories around the team have suggested that things were falling off the rails incrementally.

Joe Thornton with Galiardi.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Honestly I feel like the stripping has more to do with jumbo playing his own way. The captain should be the example of what the staff wants on the ice. The unfortunate thing is that jumbo is effective during the season. So it's hard to criticize maybe? I dunno.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Honestly I feel like the stripping has more to do with jumbo playing his own way. The captain should be the example of what the staff wants on the ice. The unfortunate thing is that jumbo is effective during the season. So it's hard to criticize maybe? I dunno.

That might be part of it. It's really weird how he put effort into his two way play, which is one of those things that really offensively minded players tend to have trouble getting into BUT he is more stubborn than a donkey when it comes to shooting the puck. Then there's the whole "players not following the gameplan" this year. What a pain.

jimslob

Dec 9, 2008
Canucks fan here coming in peace.

In my opinion this can only create a mess. When Kesler was stripped of his A last year, by a team vote no less, I think that directly led to his trade request.

These players have big egos, even the worst fourth line players in the NHL have been far better than most of the people they played with through their early years.

Kesler was an ass and I'm glad he is gone even though he is a very good player.

I have a very sharp wit and have been in a position of authority over younger employees, more than once after a quip I could see the look in the eyes and realize I had crossed a boundary and would have to apologize and explain myself.

Sometimes it was accepted and things went on normally but sometimes I noticed a nervousness with the employee whenever I was around.

I do not think it made them lesser employees, it reflected poorly on me as a boss.

Sleepy

rEf jOsE
Apr 7, 2009
TM/DW have just given an entire locker room so many different off-ice excuses for on-ice failure.

• Joe Thornton was a Meanie!
  • We're Rebuilding!
  • Joe Thornton won't waive his NTC!
  • Patrick Marleau won't waive his NTC!
  • We didn't add any NHL players!
  • We don't know who our Captain is!
  • These co-workers don't cuddle with me at night like teammates should! That's why we lost to the Kings!
  • I need a translator for everything my coach says, because apparently none of his words mean what they are defined as in a dictionary.

blah blah blah. Way to go!

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
TM/DW have just given an entire locker room so many different off-ice excuses for on-ice failure.

• Joe Thornton was a Meanie!
  • We're Rebuilding!
  • Joe Thornton won't waive his NTC!
  • Patrick Marleau won't waive his NTC!
  • We didn't add any NHL players!
  • We don't know who our Captain is!
  • These co-workers don't cuddle with me at night like teammates should! That's why we lost to the Kings!
  • I need a translator for everything my coach says, because apparently none of his words mean what they are defined as in a dictionary.

blah blah blah. Way to go!

Which is Resetting Expectations 101 for when you're planning on failing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad