Recalled/Assigned: Sharks Recalls 2016-17: Meier reassigned 4/23/17

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
Tierney is improving, albeit slightly. He has the ability to be an extremely good forechecker when he plays up to his ability. The problem is, his passing game needs work, along with his puck possession.

If he can't improve those, he's destined for the bottom 6.

Intent

Dec 30, 2015
San Jose
Didn't Tierney and Meier spend a solid chunk of time playing together? Because if so, that explains Tierney's rise in metrics. Going into the season I had a positive view of Tierney, but he's lost his luster IMO. I don't feel he has improved in any aspect since his rookie year, and continues to play a very soft and hopeful brand of hockey.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Ohh I thought we liked him now? 22 years old, solid face-off percentage, year over year increase in goal scoring, solid corsi numbers down the stretch, excellent PKer. Don't think he has peaked yet either - definite room for physical development and still learning how to handle the puck in the offensive zone.

Never gonna be a top-line guy, but he can already compliment the right top-6 wingers (i.e. Hansen Boedker) or lead an effective 3rd (i.e. Last seasons playoffs).

Tierney is a good asset and will be a good piece to have in the coming years.

Nooooooooooooooooo. And one good game with Hansen and Boedker against half the Flames isn't showing anything.

I'm coming around on 'Tierney wouldn't be horrible as 3C in a pinch', not 'Tierney is a good middle-6 C', yikes.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Sharks took off early this morning, but no transactions last night.

So, perhaps there won't be any recalls of black aces, yet.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Tierney is at "good 3C when with the right wingers" imo

There are a lot of scenarios that play out in my head where I'm trading Tierney this off-season. Not saying he's a bad player but the team is in a position where trading him will probably be in their best interest. His value is decent and they will probably need to use him to make taking someone like Boedker or Ward or Martin more palatable. So if Thornton stays and we're serious about Hertl centering the 3rd line, keeping Tierney to center the 4th line when we have Carpenter and O'Regan doesn't seem like the best use of the assets we have.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
If Tierney shows that he's Mr. Playoffs like last season, I'd keep him. Otherwise, I'd consider a trade depending on the return.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
If Curtis Lazar can get a 2nd, you gotta think Tierney can.

Honestly, what kind of voodoo medium magician wizard managed to convince the entire NHL that Curtis Lazar was good enough at hockey to be traded for a 2nd? Don't say it was Dorion either, because even the media was spitting this crap.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Lazar had 1st rounder pedigree and low-key WJC status.

And Tierney has been a lot better in the NHL.

I agree that Lazar getting a 2nd was witchcraft but I don't think it's totally unreasonable that Tierney could. Teams looking for young two-way 3C's with playoff pedigree could be fooled into thinking Tierney is worth that.

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
They're gonna **** it up with Labanc just like they did with Goldobin. Any prospect with an ounce of skill must be banished from the organization.

Intent

Dec 30, 2015
San Jose
They're gonna **** it up with Labanc just like they did with Goldobin. Any prospect with an ounce of skill must be banished from the organization.

Not true! Kevin is American so he has more 'heart' and will therefor get more chances. As baffling and dumb they were with Goldobin, Labanc seems to be fine. Not the series I would want a small defensively challenged rookie to be initiated into.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Labanc needs to play and the Barracuda are more than happy to have him, so I'm not sure there's anything to worry about.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
How did the org "**** up" Goldobin? He couldn't break out of our depth chart and he was passed by multiple other wingers in his 2 years in the pro system

The org definitely ****ed up Mueller by rushing him in to the NHL and ruining his confidence and mental game, but I think Goldobin is just as responsible for his exit from the franchise as anyone in the front office, he simply hadn't shown the growth that was expected of him at this stage

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
How did the org "**** up" Goldobin? He couldn't break out of our depth chart and he was passed by multiple other wingers in his 2 years in the pro system

The org definitely ****ed up Mueller by rushing him in to the NHL and ruining his confidence and mental game, but I think Goldobin is just as responsible for his exit from the franchise as anyone in the front office, he simply hadn't shown the growth that was expected of him at this stage

Are you kidding me? Goldobin scored at a point per game rate in the AHL as a 21-year-old and still wasn't given more than a 20-minute cup of coffee in the NHL this year, even with the team mightily struggling to score goals. So many stupid comments from throughout the organization that they wanted him to play a "heavier" game and get after the puck when that's never going to be in his arsenal nor should it be. If they didn't want a skilled playmaking winger they shouldn't have drafted him. Instead he was deemed a failure because he wasn't getting in and throwing hits on the forecheck.

The org didn't **** up Mueller, they ****ed up by picking him. He never ever had the talent to play in the NHL. Rushing him didn't change that one bit.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Goldobin never deserved more than his cup of coffee with the Sharks, his Barracuda stats were more than satisfactory but every time he was called up he was BAD at the NHL level because his play away from the puck is very irresponsible, and he's not strong enough or shifty enough to create scoring opportunities for himself with the puck in the big league

The Sharks have been struggling to score, but adding a one dimensional puck dominant 20 year old minor league goal scorer doesn't actually do much to improve our scoring ability because it doesn't fix the problems our other 11 forwards are struggling through and because Goldobin isn't talented enough to make a huge offensive difference on his own

I know he's played a handful of games, so sample size and all that, but we're talking about a player that has set a pace of 17.8 points for a whole season at the NHL level, not some wunderkind that has the potential to change a franchise

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
So many people who never watched Goldobin play outside of his 11 Sharks games acting like they're experts.

This is so incredibly wrong I don't even know where to start.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Goldobin's improved a lot since he was drafted. He's got skills that would be useful to the Sharks but he's still not NHL effective yet.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Goldobin's improved a lot since he was drafted. He's got skills that would be useful to the Sharks but he's still not NHL effective yet.

I don't know why people seem to think "Goldobin has improved a lot and is really talented" and "Goldobin isn't quite ready to be a productive NHLer right now at age 21" are mutually exclusive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad