OffSydes

#tank2014/5
Aug 14, 2011
giphy.gif

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
Um, quick question to all the cleverererer people than me.

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/sharks

This seems to suggest Heed isn't waiver exempt. Am I missing something? Surely they won't bring him up and down via waivers?

I've been banging that drum all season long, but I'm just confused about that now. Heed signed his ELC at age 21, and so according to the waiver rules, he should no longer be waiver exempt at age 24 (he's now 25).

But if that's the case, I have no idea how we got him down to the Barracuda in the first place. And Gackle yesterday said Heed doesn't require waivers, though I'm not sure he's the best person to ask about that. I assume we don't have to worry about that, but I could not tell you why.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
Yep. This could get interesting.

https://www.capfriendly.com/waivers_calculator/tim-heed

The only thing I can think of is that it says he's played ZERO NHL games.

But if the normal age rules apply, NHL games don't matter. It's 80 NHL games or 4 years (whichever comes first) for players who sign at age 21. That's why ppl are confused.

Glad to see him get a chance with the Sharks. Hope he carries last night's game over to tonight.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Heed will not play tonight.

According to Kurz.

Pashelka is not so sure that Heed is out.

Last edited:

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Seems weird that the brain trust would scheme about who to call up if only to stick em in the press box. But whatever.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I cannot imagine the Sharks org would be so stupid as to lose Heed via recall waivers... I hope anyway :pray: :fingers crossed:

No such thing as recall waivers any more. But the thought does go for him needing to go back down to the ahl if needed.

This heed contract has to be the weirdest situation ever.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
But if the normal age rules apply, NHL games don't matter. It's 80 NHL games or 4 years (whichever comes first) for players who sign at age 21. That's why ppl are confused.

Glad to see him get a chance with the Sharks. Hope he carries last night's game over to tonight.

I get that. Just trying to figure how he's not eligible. Is there another player that never played a single game in the AHL or NHL under their ELC contract that ended up playing in the NHL? Especially one from Europe?

SharkieFan

Sep 17, 2008
Question: The CBA says the waiver period starts 12 days before the start of the season - and Heed was assigned to the AHL 5 days before the start of the season. If Heed is not waiver exempt for this season, does that mean he had to go through waivers to be assigned on Oct 7th? (I'm too lazy to figure out the ins and outs of the waiver system, I just come here and wait for someone smarter to answer the questions, so forgive me if this is a stupid question!)

If he did, then aren't the Sharks free to return him to the AHL as long as he spends less than 30 days or 10 games with the big club?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00