Recalled/Assigned: Sharks Recalls 2015-16 Part I

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
If Cuda don't, Goodow,Goldobin,Demelo. If they do, maybe none.

There is almost no chance they call up Goldobin, if I understand the ELC rules correctly. AFAIK playoff games count too as far as the players' ELC is concerned. Goldobin has already played 9 games with the Sharks. If he plays 1 more game in the NHL this year, we burn a year off his ELC. Barring some (hopefully highly unlikely) catastrophe, I doubt very very strongly he gets called up. Burning a year of team control at a reasonable contract for just a few minutes in one or two games if it isn't ABSOLUTELY necessary is terrible asset management.

So, not no chance, but in reality, yeah, no chance. :laugh:

Tennyson to Barracuda on conditioning stint.

Guess he'll be playing Saturday and Sunday.

That is OUTSTANDING news. For a long time I was worried we would have a situation akin to Savard's, though that worry abated a lot when whoever it was reported he had started light skating. I certainly didn't expect him back this season at all, though. So, hearing he's recovered enough to actually play in games, even if only at the AHL level, is tremendous news.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
If Cuda don't, Goodow,Goldobin,Demelo. If they do, maybe none.

DeMelo is with the Sharks and will be from here on out.

There is almost no chance they call up Goldobin, if I understand the ELC rules correctly. AFAIK playoff games count too as far as the players' ELC is concerned. Goldobin has already played 9 games with the Sharks. If he plays 1 more game in the NHL this year, we burn a year off his ELC. Barring some (hopefully highly unlikely) catastrophe, I doubt very very strongly he gets called up. Burning a year of team control at a reasonable contract for just a few minutes in one or two games if it isn't ABSOLUTELY necessary is terrible asset management.

Goldobin will be called up as a black ace once the SJB season is over, he won't play but they'll bring him up along with anywhere from 4-10+ other guys.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
Goldobin will be called up as a black ace once the SJB season is over, he won't play but they'll bring him up along with anywhere from 4-10+ other guys.

OK, that I can buy. Getting him up and experiencing the atmosphere and practicing with the club is a perfectly fine idea. I was assuming it was meant about calling them up to actually play in real games.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Haley is still up. Guessing he'll be staying around during the post eason for "muscle"/toughness.

Nieto is also now available.

The Sharks will probably keep all the AHL guys around for at least one home game (to soak in the atmosphere), if they aren't in the playoffs.

Then there will be 3-4 extra forwards and 2-3 extra D and 1-2 extra goalies.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
For completeness, Tennyson allowed to play AHL playoff game 1 for Barracuda, and recalled 4/23.

(Which gives the Sharks two extra forwards -- Zubrus, Haley -- and two extra D -- DeMelo, Tennyson -- on the playoff roster.)

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta

That is OUTSTANDING news. For a long time I was worried we would have a situation akin to Savard's, though that worry abated a lot when whoever it was reported he had started light skating. I certainly didn't expect him back this season at all, though. So, hearing he's recovered enough to actually play in games, even if only at the AHL level, is tremendous news.

No chance right bud

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
No chance right bud

Calling him up is one thing. They can do that all day long. Playing him though is a different story. With his contract being a slide risk, if he plays one more game they burn a year of his ELC. I wouldn't say there's no chance but he is likely the last resort.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
No chance right bud

Yah. Calling him up does not burn the ELC. Playing him will. I think this is just to give him some exposure to the NHL playoffs.

I would love to see Goldobin get a chance on Marleau's wing. I know it burns a year of the ELC but I think Goldobin on that line would give it the playmaker it really needs.

I was not an advocate for burning that ELC earlier but with the way we have played in the playoffs and the positive feeling I am getting for this playoff run, why not? What is one year of an ELC if it gives you a real shot at making a really good playoff run.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Yah. Calling him up does not burn the ELC. Playing him will. I think this is just to give him some exposure to the NHL playoffs.

I would love to see Goldobin get a chance on Marleau's wing. I know it burns a year of the ELC but I think Goldobin on that line would give it the playmaker it really needs.

I was not an advocate for burning that ELC earlier but with the way we have played in the playoffs and the positive feeling I am getting for this playoff run, why not? What is one year of an ELC if it gives you a real shot at making a really good playoff run.

I'm still not an advocate for it. They're going to make a real run at this whether or not Goldobin is in the lineup. I think they can win against Nashville and either St. Louis or Dallas without him. I agree that he'd likely be the better fit there but he's also a larger risk because you don't know what you're going to get out of him against the best players in the world in the playoffs. I'd rather save that year on his ELC, allow him a full year in the NHL, and get more out of his contract than take what I think is long odds of him coming in and being a major catalyst for this. Maybe if they make it to the Finals and they need that added dimension against the Caps but I don't think he's needed right now. The team they have should be able to get the job done and if they can't, I don't think Goldobin can save them.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I'm still not an advocate for it. They're going to make a real run at this whether or not Goldobin is in the lineup. I think they can win against Nashville and either St. Louis or Dallas without him. I agree that he'd likely be the better fit there but he's also a larger risk because you don't know what you're going to get out of him against the best players in the world in the playoffs. I'd rather save that year on his ELC, allow him a full year in the NHL, and get more out of his contract than take what I think is long odds of him coming in and being a major catalyst for this. Maybe if they make it to the Finals and they need that added dimension against the Caps but I don't think he's needed right now. The team they have should be able to get the job done and if they can't, I don't think Goldobin can save them.

I agree. There is no guarantee what we get out of him. But, what we do know is that he is a better playmaker than what Marleau has on his line right now and can add to bottom-6 scoring (considering the Patty line the 3rd line for now). I think Goldobin-Marleau-XXX will be as close to 2B line we can get on our current roster and can give us 3 scoring lines.

Another reason I would like to have another scoring line is that the Jumbo line has been pretty ineffective this series. Scoring will become harder (if we play St. Louis). If we play Dallas, we may be able to get by without Goldobin. The Caps are another team where another scoring line would help.

I know buring one year of the ELC sucks financially, but if this is truly our year and we have a legit chance at making the SC at the cost of that, I burn that ELC every time.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I agree. There is no guarantee what we get out of him. But, what we do know is that he is a better playmaker than what Marleau has on his line right now and can add to bottom-6 scoring (considering the Patty line the 3rd line for now). I think Goldobin-Marleau-XXX will be as close to 2B line we can get on our current roster and can give us 3 scoring lines.

Another reason I would like to have another scoring line is that the Jumbo line has been pretty ineffective this series. Scoring will become harder (if we play St. Louis). If we play Dallas, we may be able to get by without Goldobin. The Caps are another team where another scoring line would help.

I know buring one year of the ELC sucks financially, but if this is truly our year and we have a legit chance at making the SC at the cost of that, I burn that ELC every time.

The other thing is what you're taking out by inserting Goldobin into the lineup. Essentially, you're going to take one of the PK'ers out of the lineup for him and ask either Marleau or Pavelski to take those minutes and likely ask someone like Wingels to take more of the load as well. However, I don't agree with the premise that the cost of making the Finals is burning his ELC. Outside of nine games, this team has stood on its own as a contender without Goldobin. I don't think you can frame the option like that. It's not a question of we either burn it or we don't go to the Finals.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
I would absolutely not put in Goldobin in the playoffs (even if it didn't burn a year off his ELC).

You absolutely have no idea what you're getting on the defensive side. Not something to risk during the playoffs. Wasn't he pretty lacking in that area? Haven't followed his 2-way game since he went back to the AHL. Maybe he has improved.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose

That would be my main reservation. Asking him to jump into the middle of a heated playoff series after not playing in the NHL since November, it's hard to know what we'd see from him.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
It sounded like Chartier & Labanc might possibly stick around for a little while too just to get a look at playoff hockey in the NHL.

Guessing that most of the AHL team will be invited to stick around and soak in the NHL playoff atmosphere. (For at least a while)

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
No chance right bud

Yep, no chance. As others have said: called up != playing games. They can call him up all they want, but it's not until he plays one more game that his ELC gets burnt. I am sure they want him with the big club to experience the atmosphere, practice with the team, and absorb the day to day of a postseason run. But that doesn't mean they'll actually put him in a game.

I stand by my assessment that there is no chance we actually play him, unless the worst case scenario occurs, and we lose a couple top-6 wingers. If we lost just 1, they'd probably bump Marleau up there and tell him to concentrate on offense, instead of defense like he has been doing, bring in Zubrus to play on the 4th, and bump Tierney up to the 3rd. Hell, even if that DID happen, I suspect we'd probably play Carpenter or Goodrow over him.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Yep, no chance. As others have said: called up != playing games. They can call him up all they want, but it's not until he plays one more game that his ELC gets burnt. I am sure they want him with the big club to experience the atmosphere, practice with the team, and absorb the day to day of a postseason run. But that doesn't mean they'll actually put him in a game.

I stand by my assessment that there is no chance we actually play him, unless the worst case scenario occurs, and we lose a couple top-6 wingers. If we lost just 1, they'd probably bump Marleau up there and tell him to concentrate on offense, instead of defense like he has been doing, bring in Zubrus to play on the 4th, and bump Tierney up to the 3rd. Hell, even if that DID happen, I suspect we'd probably play Carpenter or Goodrow over him.

Did I once say he he would play?:laugh: I said he would be called up.

Last edited by a moderator:

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
This is an odd hypothetical to be debating. Goldy was called up as a "black ace" along with most of the other ahl players who have experience with the big club, they are insurance and depth and nothing more. It would be pure folly to insert an untested prospect into a winning lineup on the chance that he's a slightly better fit than as currently configured, especially as the Sharks wins have been predicated on a dominant team defense which is one of Goldobin's shortcomings and the reason he was sent down to the minors in the first place. If we have a glaring need for an offensive forward due to injury then he may get a chance, if not then if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad