Sharks raising ticket prices for '15-'16 season

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
There's threads with long discussions of SJS&EE's business situation. Check out Mark Purdy's article on the Sharks' TV situation from last summer (http://www.mercurynews.com/sharks/ci_25983493/purdy-bad-tv-deal-could-threaten-sharks-ability), then search for Purdy and Comcast in the threads.

I severely doubt Plattner will move the Sharks, but don't be surprised if rumors of a "potential sale" to another owner surface in the run up to the lease expiration in 2018. More Sports & Money 101.

Thanks. I read the article this summer but hadn't seen the threads here. I'll look.

Timos Death Stare

Seek and Destroy
Aug 9, 2008
CA
True but their internal Cap will include Havlat's money and we probably should calculate the money he gets paid as though it's part of the cap even though it not counted officially as I don't see Plattner spending above that sort of number.

Sorry for the late reply, but that was exactly my point LS.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Or Quebec. :sarcasm:

Sarcasm aside, I just can't see QC getting anything other than a relocated Eastern Conference team whether it's the Panthers, Hurricanes, or Islanders. I would say Portland is a possibility but the Sharks wouldn't come cheap and that's a problem for Mr. Allen when it comes to bringing hockey there.

Linkster

Beard goggles!
Nov 11, 2010
Coastal Sharkifornia

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The chances of SJS&EE moving to Vegas rather than selling the franchise first? Too low to measure.

"Owners say NHL expansion fee for Las Vegas franchise should eclipse $450M" -- http://www.tsn.ca/owners-say-nhl-expansion-fee-for-las-vegas-franchise-should-eclipse-450m-1.188094

I think they'd keep this ticket-pricing gambit going at least another few years to cover as much of the revenue shortfall as possible and then sell.

It's not too low of a chance to measure. It's a little number called zero. Vegas will start in the 2016-17 season. Sharks lease isn't up until 2018. Besides, they've thrown the expansion word around regarding Vegas. The question is whether or not Seattle is far enough in the process of getting an arena deal to go ahead with a two team expansion to achieve balance or if they have to wait.

Wedontneedroads

Jul 14, 2008
San Jose
I saw on facebook from a STH who complained to their rep that the Sharks will be giving away prizes to the ST holders that renew.. such as dinner with a player, tickets to see a road game etc..

From what I can tell they will just enter you into a drawing to win these prizes if you renew before a certain date.

I will be calling my rep shortly to do my annual *****ing about price increases, always to no avail.

Here is what they sent us - http://sharks.nhl.com/v2/ext/SHARKS/TICKETS/2015-16_Sharks_SeasonTickets_Renewal_Brochure_Final.pdf?camefrom=EMCL_531296_23479069

bbison

Oct 16, 2004
San Jose
From what I can tell they will just enter you into a drawing to win these prizes if you renew before a certain date.

I will be calling my rep shortly to do my annual *****ing about price increases, always to no avail.

Here is what they sent us - http://sharks.nhl.com/v2/ext/SHARKS/TICKETS/2015-16_Sharks_SeasonTickets_Renewal_Brochure_Final.pdf?camefrom=EMCL_531296_23479069

Here's my favorite part from the brochure:

"Over this exciting quarter century, hockey fans have seen a fledgling Sharks franchise grow into one of the elite organizations in the NHL, as well as arguably the most successful expansion team of any pro sport in the past 20 years."

The Miami Heat would like to have a word with whomever wrote that.

Then the Marlins, Diamondbacks, Ducks and Lightning (all of whom won CHAMPIONSHIPS in the past 20 years) are next in line. The Sens, Panthers (both of 'em!), Rockies & Magic made the finals, so they're next up.

That's SUCCESS. Not a bunch of trips to the playoffs (where 16/30 get in.) Not a President's Trophy or "Western Conference Regular Season Champions," whatever the hell that means (and would any other team do a banner for that???)

I expected (and called) the price increase at the start of the season, when the "face" value printed on season tix didn't match up to what we paid. Now, of course, the average value for my seats in 2015-16 matches the average face we paid this year. Sneaky as hell.

We renewed, but may drop from 4 back to 2 if the Clown College remains in session on Santa Clara St. next year.

Chairman Mallard

Mar 9, 2007
Santa Rosa

Suuuuure it's a random drawing:laugh:

In before Section 101 that's had tickets since 91 wins all the best prizes. To be fair, I guess those fans have given the most money to the Sharks.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Here's my favorite part from the brochure:

"Over this exciting quarter century, hockey fans have seen a fledgling Sharks franchise grow into one of the elite organizations in the NHL, as well as arguably the most successful expansion team of any pro sport in the past 20 years."

The Miami Heat would like to have a word with whomever wrote that.

Then the Marlins, Diamondbacks, Ducks and Lightning (all of whom won CHAMPIONSHIPS in the past 20 years) are next in line. The Sens, Panthers (both of 'em!), Rockies & Magic made the finals, so they're next up.

That's SUCCESS. Not a bunch of trips to the playoffs (where 16/30 get in.) Not a President's Trophy or "Western Conference Regular Season Champions," whatever the hell that means (and would any other team do a banner for that???)

I expected (and called) the price increase at the start of the season, when the "face" value printed on season tix didn't match up to what we paid. Now, of course, the average value for my seats in 2015-16 matches the average face we paid this year. Sneaky as hell.

We renewed, but may drop from 4 back to 2 if the Clown College remains in session on Santa Clara St. next year.

Are we really back to talking about the freaking western conference regular season champions banner. I suggest going to go look at the little unknown team called the red wings and how disgraceful they are to the league.

Like seriously it is getting crazy. The sharks get hated on for stuff that every organization does.

bbison

Oct 16, 2004
San Jose
Are we really back to talking about the freaking western conference regular season champions banner. I suggest going to go look at the little unknown team called the red wings and how disgraceful they are to the league.

Like seriously it is getting crazy. The sharks get hated on for stuff that every organization does.

Point made...on my throwaway tag at the end. Now would you care to take on the main point of the Sharks claim in print of being "arguably the most successful expansion team of any pro sport in the past 20 years" instead?

Hardly hating when they're asking for another $1000+ out of my pocket next year and trying to justify it with that nonsense. Their actions of late speak louder than their propaganda.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Point made...on my throwaway tag at the end. Now would you care to take on the main point of the Sharks claim in print of being "arguably the most successful expansion team of any pro sport in the past 20 years" instead?

Hardly hating when they're asking for another $1000+ out of my pocket next year and trying to justify it with that nonsense. Their actions of late speak louder than their propaganda.

It's a bit much to really make a big deal out of that. They're promoting themselves and used the word arguably. Hell, we all know they aren't the most successful expansion team in the past 20 years because they came into the league 25 years ago. I doubt that the document was really the deciding piece of literature between you renewing or not.

Wedontneedroads

Jul 14, 2008
San Jose
Suuuuure it's a random drawing:laugh:

In before Section 101 that's had tickets since 91 wins all the best prizes. To be fair, I guess those fans have given the most money to the Sharks.

Your sarcasm is insulting.

Why on earth would they lie to their valued and respected season ticket holders?

The Sharks are turning into Comcast. Reward newbies with awesome Goldstar deals and new customer promotions while bending over your long time loyal customers because you know they have no alternative in the immediate SJ area.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

Why on earth would they lie to their valued and respected season ticket holders?

The Sharks are turning into Comcast. Reward newbies with awesome Goldstar deals and new customer promotions while bending over your long time loyal customers because you know they have no alternative in the immediate SJ area.

I know this is slightly off tangent but most cable providers are the same way. I just cut the cord with DirecTV last year and within a week I started getting letters from them asking me to come back. The last offer I got was:

Premier package for 19.99 a year and then regular price for next year (2 year commitment)
NHL Sunday ticket Plus for next year
200 dollar VISA gift card

They basically have been sending me 'last offer(s)' every month. If I was given the service for that cost, I would never have cancelled DTV in the first place .. :laugh:

CrazedZooChimp

Not enough guts
Aug 3, 2005
Bay Area, CA
www.Coaster101.com
Sarcasm aside, I just can't see QC getting anything other than a relocated Eastern Conference team whether it's the Panthers, Hurricanes, or Islanders. I would say Portland is a possibility but the Sharks wouldn't come cheap and that's a problem for Mr. Allen when it comes to bringing hockey there.

I really have a hard time seeing the NHL abandon the Bay Area (especially for a move to a place like Portland). The SF-SJ-Oak combined statistical area is the fifth largest in the country and sixth largest media market, and the team does relatively well. Is there really any chance the league would let anyone even consider moving the team away? They've basically prevented the Coyotes from moving from Phoenix which is both a smaller market and less popular team.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I really have a hard time seeing the NHL abandon the Bay Area (especially for a move to a place like Portland). The SF-SJ-Oak combined statistical area is the fifth largest in the country and sixth largest media market, and the team does relatively well. Is there really any chance the league would let anyone even consider moving the team away? They've basically prevented the Coyotes from moving from Phoenix which is both a smaller market and less popular team.

The Coyotes situation is so far from this situation. The owners there turned in the keys and tried to sell the team to someone the league didn't want and move them to Hamilton against their will. The Coyotes were also in the middle of their lease although that part doesn't really matter that much except when they want to spin it to look good.

The Sharks would be out of lease and at an impasse with their TV contract. They'd be free of any obligation to stay and if they want to move, the league will support it if it doesn't impact another owner negatively. The league will definitely let them move. However, it's also likely that the league would be working to get a team to replace them as soon as possible as well.

Chairman Mallard

Mar 9, 2007
Santa Rosa

It's ok that they raised prices again, because 25 different accounts out of the probably 5-10,000 accounts they have will win a prize. :laugh:

HipCzech

Just win the game
Mar 25, 2004
Overpriced Bay
Like I said in the "Season goes south" thread, I think with all the negative things that have happened this year, historic playoff choke, letting Drew Remenda go, ice girls, etc, they are trying to package it all into one year and start fresh next year with the 25th anniversary. We are likely to miss the playoffs next year as well, so it would be just as bad to raise them then. Might as well get it over with now... not shocked.

Obsessed Sharks Fan

Aug 7, 2006
San Mateo
www.obsessedsharksfan.com
With the attendance "issues" this year, the lack of any real inspiring play to this point, increase in prices for next season, introduction of a full AHL season in the same building, and the Warriors being one of the best teams in the NBA for the next few years, I think we're about to see the Sharks go through a bit of a rough patch. The diehard fans will always be here.... But the more casual sports fans in the Bay Area that I know are all having a blast following the Splash Bros, whereas in the past they would want to talk about Team Teal instead of Adonal Foyle and Mike Dunleavy.

I think AHL San Jose has the potential to be a problem.

i was diehard sharks fan all the way. last year put a bullet through my heart. the weird way Doug told us we were going to rebuild, then backtracked was a real turnoff. I have hardly been watching this year in favor of following the gold and yellow. Hard not to get caught up in the excitement over there where NBA records are being broken (the 37 pts in a quarter was truly amazing!)

I haven't made the leap of starting to go to warriors games. But I'll be more free after this year. Definitely giving up my sharks seats, and I have the cheapest in the building; still not worth it.

Last edited:

jwhitesj

Oct 9, 2006
Downtown San Jose
i was diehard sharks fan all the way. last year put a bullet through my heart. the weird way Doug told us we were going to rebuild, then backtracked was a real turnoff. I have hardly been watching this year in favor of following the gold and yellow. Hard not to get caught up in the excitement over there where NBA records are being broken (the 37 pts in a quarter was truly amazing!)

I haven't made the leap of starting to go to warriors games. But I'll be more free after this year. Definitely giving up my sharks seats, and I have the cheapest in the building; still not worth it.

I haven't posted in a while, but I wanted to say this is exactly how I feel. I have found other interest and the Sharks are just not able to hold my interest this year. Not just because they are playing bad, but because of the way the organization has handled the past year and the fact that there is no real direction right now.

HipCzech

Just win the game
Mar 25, 2004
Overpriced Bay

I don't want to start the same conversation in two threads, but please go read the If the team goes South thread and reply there with an explanation of how DW has backtracked? What am I missing? What do you mean by that?

FYI, I'm boycotting going to games this year as well. Still pissed at the players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad