Sharks raising ticket prices for '15-'16 season

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
That's pretty bold of them. If I didn't have seats I absolutely loved and didn't have a couple STH partners I wouldn't renew.

I suppose it's a coincidence I received a "gift" from the Sharks in the mail today :laugh:

Gift: cheap, but cool BBQ utensil kit.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
This and next year is where wilson learns he is not the GM of a city with die hard fans like toronto.

He is going to learn quick that crappy on ice product and increased ticket prices means less and less fans. Which in turn means less and less money for his boss.

wishman

Jan 20, 2007
We've had end club seats for the last 10 years. Games are impossible to resell anywhere close to face value with exception of a few of the top games. So we are going to give them up and go in on a partnership with the ticket holders seated next to us.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
There business guy seems seriously out of touch. It's kind of like the bad restaurants in Kitchen Nightmares that started raising their prices to make up the money from their lack of customers and lost more customers as a result.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
"How to we make more Sharks fans come to the Tank?" "I know! Let's ice a worse team and raise prices! That'll do it!"

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA
Bold move Cotton, let's see if it pays off for them.

tumblr_lv3nq0KnIg1qmnnibo1_400.gif

There business guy seems seriously out of touch. It's kind of like the bad restaurants in Kitchen Nightmares that started raising their prices to make up the money from their lack of customers and lost more customers as a result.

And all the while, they have rotten food in the "fridge" that made them lose customers in the first place. :laugh:

Good parallel, hoho.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
They can raise 'em all they want, I'll still find sub-$25 pairs on craigslist whenever I feel like going.

Hertl

Fun Must Be Sometimes
Nov 15, 2010
short of the sharks winning the cup, I don't see how this is a smart move

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
We've had end club seats for the last 10 years. Games are impossible to resell anywhere close to face value with exception of a few of the top games. So we are going to give them up and go in on a partnership with the ticket holders seated next to us.

Our STH partnership was talking about not renewing for this season, but did. I think the price increase will likely dissolve the partnership for good this off-season.

Iron Chef

Sep 24, 2011
They've been able to justify ticket price increases in the past because at least it was public knowledge that they were spending to the cap. But this year, they are no where near the cap, so will be interesting to hear what Tortora says as the excuse. Any "rising costs of doing business" should have been mitigated through the savings on player costs this year.

And while they haven't sold out all of the home games this year, most of the time, they are only a few hundred short of a sellout, so I won't buy that it had anything to do with skewing their forecasting.

Really strange timing. What would be smart is to lock STHs in now at no additional cost to lock in people, but then announce a price increase at a later time, IE if they made the playoffs. I'm sure there are a whole lot of people who begrudgingly renewed their STs this season, but had the franchise on a short leash. They've likely successfully converted those people to 10 pack holders now.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
The excuse will be due to inflation.

Likely due to corporate tax increases, but I suspect they will lump that into "cost of doing business rising due to inflation".

Sharks' tax exposure is not just for San Jose, California, and federal, but everywhere they play. This is one reason why the NHL is courting Las Vegas... no corporate income taxes, gross receipt taxes, or player's income tax.

I am thankful I don't have to submit multiple state income tax returns, but I can only image what it must be like for the players.

lunarbrian

Jan 28, 2009
Likely due to corporate tax increases, but I suspect they will lump that into "cost of doing business rising due to inflation".

Sharks' tax exposure is not just for San Jose, California, and federal, but everywhere they play. This is one reason why the NHL is courting Las Vegas... no corporate income taxes, gross receipt taxes, or player's income tax.

I am thankful I don't have to submit multiple state income tax returns, but I can only image what it must be like for the players.

Actually the players probably only file one state tax return. I was a Partner in an accounting firm that has offices in virtually every state. The firm would file a composite return on behalf of the Partners and pay the tax to the states. We only had to file a return in our state of residence. My guess is that professional teams have similar arrangements with the states.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Actually the players probably only file one state tax return. I was a Partner in an accounting firm that has offices in virtually every state. The firm would file a composite return on behalf of the Partners and pay the tax to the states. We only had to file a return in our state of residence. My guess is that professional teams have similar arrangements with the states.

Negative, they file in every state/province they play in. Atleast my friend did when he had an nhl contract but played in the ahl/echl.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Negative, they file in every state/province they play in. Atleast my friend did when he had an nhl contract but played in the ahl/echl.

Teams probably have a deal with a local accountant that players can use (or use one recommended by their agent) to file their taxes.

They do have to file for every state in which they play that has income tax. (Including the stupid "jock tax" in Tennessee that only impacted NHL and NBA players, but not NFL players. I think this may have been repealed, or the Preds were forced to pay for league. Details on BOH.)

If they reside in Canada, they may have to file there as well.

Linkster

Beard goggles!
Nov 11, 2010
Coastal Sharkifornia
On the laundry list of ticket pricing factors for Hockey Ops, I severely doubt "corporate tax increases" matters. The bigger issue in my mind is the TV contract. That revenue is at least $5 million a season below what Hockey Ops should be getting.

This shows me they've had zero success with Comcast. I don't think it's fair for STHs to pay for Jameson's blunder.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
On the laundry list of ticket pricing factors for Hockey Ops, I severely doubt "corporate tax increases" matters. The bigger issue in my mind is the TV contract. That revenue is at least $5 million a season below what Hockey Ops should be getting.

This shows me they've had zero success with Comcast. I don't think it's fair for STHs to pay for Jameson's blunder.

And Bettman was even trying to participate in that re-negotiation discussion.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

They won't have very many other options if they can't re-negotiate that deal. Hell, if they don't re-negotiate that deal, you can bet your bottom dollar that there will be threats of relocation in a couple years with the lease coming up.

Linkster

Beard goggles!
Nov 11, 2010
Coastal Sharkifornia
They won't have very many other options if they can't re-negotiate that deal. Hell, if they don't re-negotiate that deal, you can bet your bottom dollar that there will be threats of relocation in a couple years with the lease coming up.

I completely agree.

The AHL move fascinates me too becuase it could be a serious negotiating piece with CSN-CA if they decided to put the team in Sacramento.

The SJ lease period also mirrors the time span to the expiration of the Marleau and Thornton contracts. And there's 'rumors' that SJS&EE wants a major arena remodel at the very least. Fascinating.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad