Sharks raising ticket prices for '15-'16 season

Timos Death Stare

Seek and Destroy
Aug 9, 2008
CA
Regarding not spending to the cap, remember that the Sharks bought out Havlat so technically they are spending more than what is on the ice. Just my 2c.

Still, not a fan of the increase.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Regarding not spending to the cap, remember that the Sharks bought out Havlat so technically they are spending more than what is on the ice. Just my 2c.

Still, not a fan of the increase.

But Havlat's buyout was amnesty so does not count against cap. (Just taking $$ out of Plattner's pocket.)

Sandisfan

Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
San Jose
But Havlat's buyout was amnesty so does not count against cap. (Just taking $$ out of Plattner's pocket.)

True but their internal Cap will include Havlat's money and we probably should calculate the money he gets paid as though it's part of the cap even though it not counted officially as I don't see Plattner spending above that sort of number.

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
I was excited about having a billionaire owner thinking that spending to the cap isn't a problem but I guess you don't get to be a billionaire by being too loose with your money.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I was excited about having a billionaire owner thinking that spending to the cap isn't a problem but I guess you don't get to be a billionaire by being too loose with your money.

I laugh at all the people that said he wanted a winner and wouldn't care about spending the money to do it.

nabbyfan

Oct 4, 2007
Santa Clarita, CA
With the attendance "issues" this year, the lack of any real inspiring play to this point, increase in prices for next season, introduction of a full AHL season in the same building, and the Warriors being one of the best teams in the NBA for the next few years, I think we're about to see the Sharks go through a bit of a rough patch. The diehard fans will always be here.... But the more casual sports fans in the Bay Area that I know are all having a blast following the Splash Bros, whereas in the past they would want to talk about Team Teal instead of Adonal Foyle and Mike Dunleavy.

I think AHL San Jose has the potential to be a problem.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Either they've got an incredible plan, or they ought to hire me to replace whatever economic analyst they have. I'm sure my three years of economics, year of stats, and three years of logic would do better than whatever they currently have. :laugh:

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I think that's their solution to raising ticket prices

They won't lower the price of Shark tickets, but you can get these minor league tickets for 40% less!

It's almost like they're pushing the Baby Sharks for next year. Maybe they just want the fan base to be excited about our prospects they plan on picking up for Thornton and Marleau? :laugh:

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013

They won't lower the price of Shark tickets, but you can get these minor league tickets for 40% less!

Plattner's secret plan to get out of the TV deal: move the SJS to Sacramento and keep the baby Sharks in SJ. :sarcasm:

nabbyfan

Oct 4, 2007
Santa Clarita, CA

I'll be interested to see what the prices are for the SJ Guppies. I'm currently in OKC and you can get into an AHL Barons game for 10 bucks.

I hope they dont seriously think that people that were just priced out of Sharks tickets are going to turn right around and become AHL fans. I just don't see that happening... They'll find some other way to spend their money instead of watching San Jose play Bakersfield in minor league hockey. Different situation I know, but the Bulls didn't really work. People here don't want to watch Minor league hockey IMO.

Sandisfan

Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
San Jose
With those including the Baby Sharks in this conversation, I wonder of San Jose Shark season ticket holders will get some free tickets for some of the baby Sharks games in order to boost attendance and try to increase the buzz surrounding the baby Sharks.

boylerroom

Jan 2, 2012
PRofKA
Sometimes I think Hasso Planter's plan is to just move the team.

Everything has gotten worse since he's come along.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Move the Sharks out so he can have a year long SAP Open

I thought he didn't own the sap center? Don't the sharks just lease the building?

If that is the case then he wouldn't care what happened to the building or its uses if the sharks left.

Coily

Gettin' Jiggy with it
Oct 8, 2008
Redlands
I thought he didn't own the sap center? Don't the sharks just lease the building?

If that is the case then he wouldn't care what happened to the building or its uses if the sharks left.

The city owns the building.

SAP has 3 years left on the naming rights.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011

I was just kidding but I looked into it. San Jose owns it but it's operated by San Jose Sports & Entertainment Enterprises, the Sharks owners.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

The city owns the building.

SAP has 3 years left on the naming rights.

And the Sharks have a handful of years left on their 30ish year lease. Early enough to start making/posturing for improvements, etc.

Linkster

Beard goggles!
Nov 11, 2010
Coastal Sharkifornia
SJS&EE's crown jewel is the exclusive arena management lease they got from the city, in exchange for opening the franchise in SJ. As LadyStanley points out, it's almost expired.

SJS&EE gets a boatload of event revenue from that direction, so I don't think Plattner has any true desire to relocate. The trick is to make the city think they're "bleeding capital" and have "better offers" in order to extract concessions.

Seems like the on-ice product this season is trending in that direction. And, I hate to see the STH's get caught in the crossfire with inflated ticket prices.

Sports and Money 101.

True but their internal Cap will include Havlat's money and we probably should calculate the money he gets paid as though it's part of the cap even though it not counted officially as I don't see Plattner spending above that sort of number.

I count Havlat's money too (2/3 of $5 million) in the actual payroll numbers. Along with Torres' $2 mil (through 2016) and Burish's $1.85 mil (through 2016) and Demers' $1.19 mil (through 2016).

There's a lot of Plattner money going to guys who don't skate in SJ on a nightly basis.

Last edited:

OffSydes

#tank2014/5
Aug 14, 2011
I saw on facebook from a STH who complained to their rep that the Sharks will be giving away prizes to the ST holders that renew.. such as dinner with a player, tickets to see a road game etc..

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
And the Sharks have a handful of years left on their 30ish year lease. Early enough to start making/posturing for improvements, etc.

Lease expires in 2018. The AHL Sharks mean literally nothing to the NHL Sharks in terms of attendance and all that. People are making something out of nothing with how it affects the NHL team.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
SJS&EE gets a boatload of event revenue from that direction, so I don't think Plattner has any true desire to relocate. The trick is to make the city think they're "bleeding capital" and have "better offers" in order to extract concessions.

Does anyone know how that stacks up against other teams? I had the impression that most teams get quite a bit of concession/parking/other event revenue and that many teams depend on it. It is one of the reasons people are skeptical about LV being a viable location. (MGM owns the arena and probably does not have much incentive to share a lot of revenue with an NHL team.)

Linkster

Beard goggles!
Nov 11, 2010
Coastal Sharkifornia
Does anyone know how that stacks up against other teams? I had the impression that most teams get quite a bit of concession/parking/other event revenue and that many teams depend on it. It is one of the reasons people are skeptical about LV being a viable location. (MGM owns the arena and probably does not have much incentive to share a lot of revenue with an NHL team.)

There's threads with long discussions of SJS&EE's business situation. Check out Mark Purdy's article on the Sharks' TV situation from last summer (http://www.mercurynews.com/sharks/ci_25983493/purdy-bad-tv-deal-could-threaten-sharks-ability), then search for Purdy and Comcast in the threads.

I severely doubt Plattner will move the Sharks, but don't be surprised if rumors of a "potential sale" to another owner surface in the run up to the lease expiration in 2018. More Sports & Money 101.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad