Prospect Info: Sharks Prospect Info & Discussion Thread XX

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Not holding my breath on a confirmed date for a lottery when the NHL can't even figure out when their own playoffs start. I've literally seen the 20th, 21st and 22nd reported as a start date by the league/ESPN itself. Just a complete joke of a league.

CaptainShark

Sep 25, 2004
Fulda, Germany
A late CHL-Update (a little cloudy):

Wolves lose game 3 on home-ice 6-5 in OT, blowing a 3-goal-lead in the 3rd period and a 2-goal-lead in the last 5 minutes of regulation. Musty with a mere secondary assist, -2. His playoff-performance is a little underwhelming stat-wise: 8 games: 3G, 7A, -4

Meanwhile Halttunen and the Knights are up 3-0 after a 6-4 win. Halttunen with 1G, 1A, +/- 0, 3rd-star. 7 games, 5G, 4A, +5.

Cagnoni‘s Winterhawks are up 3-0 in their 2nd-round-series. Luca had an assist in a 6-1 win (game 2) and another assist, -2 in a 4-3 win in game 3. 7 games, 3G, 7A, +1.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
I don't blame all 3 if they all go back, but damn they need to develop without each other.
This is why I will blame them. Im also not sure what any of them have to prove. They lit everyone up. They are basically going to coast to the final 4, I am not sure if thats good or bad for their development.

Reactions: Sandisfan

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
This is why I will blame them. Im also not sure what any of them have to prove. They lit everyone up. They are basically going to coast to the final 4, I am not sure if thats good or bad for their development.
So this is definitely possible, and I don't know the BC roster outlook at all. I also think they all need to play with others for their development. However... the two things that could make next year harder are:
1) this year, they had a pretty great squad of defensemen who were excellent at forcing turnovers in the NZ and DZ and converting to clean zone exits (and sometimes zone entries). I was always impressed with basically the whole D corps for playing a solid game. If they falter at all on that front, then the line might have to actually learn how to defend and create turnovers instead of just bolting the zone any time their D men did that for them.
2) they were able to basically just roll 4 lines because even the 3rd and 4th lines were possession monsters without the elite finish of the top two lines. I don't know how those bottom 6 are looking next year but it could change the character of a lot of games if they weren't as strong.

Wieters

Mar 2, 2024
For what it's worth, Hagens is coming in with Teddy Stiga. They're linemates on the USNTDP and have excellent synergy, so it would seem logical to keep them together as a duo.

I actually hope that Greg Brown does at least experiment with switching up the lines next year though. One of the issues for BC with Smith/Perreault in particular being so attached at the hip is that they seemed to go cold at the same time, and BC unsurprisingly struggled in those games. Plus I do think Brown cares about their development as pros and would want to challenge them at least during the regular season.

This is assuming Smith comes back, which doesn't seem to be final yet. But Leonard turning down playing time on a playoff team and Perreault pretty clearly returning only for Smith of any of them to be the one to leave would be pretty surprising.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
I still believe that any prospect likely to become an actual impact player is not going to be harmed by repeating a level at age 19.

The main fear, I think, is that they'll "learn bad habits." I think any player with the talent and drive to become a real impact player is going to already have the ability and drive to continue to learn, regardless of level. If they can't do that for a period of eight months at age 19-20, then I have my doubts they're ever going to do that.

Smith will have plenty of time to be challenged by the pace and skill of the NHL, starting next April. I don't think starting in late August this year instead would be a meaningful jumpstart. The same for Musty, I think.

Wieters

Mar 2, 2024
The main fear, I think, is that they'll "learn bad habits." I think any player with the talent and drive to become a real impact player is going to already have the ability and drive to continue to learn, regardless of level. If they can't do that for a period of eight months at age 19-20, then I have my doubts they're ever going to do that.
This is a fair concern, since prospects can theoretically stagnate. But I think the coaching and program very much matter in that respect. And between Juniors and BC, I think it's much more likely prospects evolve than devolve.

I've said it a few times now, but just look at Gauthier, who became a measurably better prospect by returning. Maybe he would have made those strides wherever he was, but the point is that the setting he was in--which is the same exact one Smith is in--enabled him to make those strides.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad