Prospect Info: Sharks Prospect Info & Discussion Thread XX

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
Could be talks with Grier are ongoing. Could be he (and Grier) want to wait to see their draft position. If we get Celebrini, maybe they’ll want Smith to come in and they can grow together.
Yeah, possibly. I would be surprised if they'd wait all the way until we know our draft position in June. But maybe.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

Wieters

Mar 2, 2024
It's Marathon Monday/Patriot's Day in Boston, which is a state holiday and a big deal at BC because the runners go right past campus and up the infamous "Heartbreak Hill." Classes are cancelled and everything. Maybe the boys just don't want to add salt to the wound of losing the natty and kill the vibe by announcing they're leaving today :D

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
Yeah and if he doesn’t burn a year of his ELC then there really isn’t a reason to uproot his life when he is unlikely to get more than one game. With his sister graduating he might be wanting to finish the school year. There are many non hockey reasons why he hasn’t signed yet. I don’t think any 19 year olds have signed yet.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Yeah and if he doesn’t burn a year of his ELC then there really isn’t a reason to uproot his life when he is unlikely to get more than one game. With his sister graduating he might be wanting to finish the school year. There are many non hockey reasons why he hasn’t signed yet. I don’t think any 19 year olds have signed yet.
That’s exactly it. Unlike Gauthier, who benefits from signing right now because he can burn a year of his ELC, there’s no rush for Smith or any of the 19 year olds to sign. It wouldn’t surprise me if it didn’t get announced until the end of the school year, for the reasons you’ve mentioned.

Reactions: Sandisfan and Cas

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
Why? It doesn't change anything for him.
It has the potential to impact his success as well as the success of the team which impacts his next contract.

The timeline of this rebuild is directly impacted by their draft picks. Why wouldnt you take that into account?

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
It has the potential to impact his success as well as the success of the team which impacts his next contract.

The timeline of this rebuild is directly impacted by their draft picks. Why wouldnt you take that into account?
Because the Sharks will be terrible next season no matter who they draft.

The decision for Smith is signing now vs. a year from now.

Reactions: DG93

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Because the Sharks will be terrible next season no matter who they draft.

The decision for Smith is signing now vs. a year from now.

Big decisions like that aren't really made in a vacuum, there's plenty to consider.

Either way, I think it makes sense that he wants to finish the year at the school and make his decision after the school year is done.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Why would Smith signing his 3 year ELC today ruin his last few weeks left in school? The season is over for BC, there is no more games left, so it would not affect that part of the NCAA rules.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Cooley signed pretty late into the summer right? Was originally going to go back to school after losing in the frozen four but made a decision in the summer after talking to Clayton Keller and what not. Wouldn't be the craziest thing to wait and see if Celebrini is here sooner or later.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Cooley signed pretty late into the summer right? Was originally going to go back to school after losing in the frozen four but made a decision in the summer after talking to Clayton Keller and what not. Wouldn't be the craziest thing to wait and see if Celebrini is here sooner or later.
Yes, it was originally announced he was going back to school and then he changed his mind. Cooley is the comparable I have in mind when it comes to Smith’s signing timeline.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
My preference if we stay #1 and with the Pens pick is to take Celebrini and any of the top six or seven defensemen (including Jiricek). I probably only entertain a trade if we fall to two or three and we can trade back and get another 1st but if it’s not on the table, take bpa on both picks.

Grinner

May 31, 2022
With college athletes being able to cash in by other means. It's a shame they can't be under contract( after being drafted) and being able to stay and play on college.
The amount of eligibility ought to stay the same

• Love

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad