Prospect Info: Sharks Prospect Info & Discussion Thread XX

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I would’ve liked to see him get a chance as 4c, but when you flood the team with fourth line centres that obviously isn’t possible
Also when Chmelevski can’t skate, shoot, forecheck or defend at a NHL level. That probably had a little bit to do with it as well.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Also when Chmelevski can’t skate, shoot, forecheck or defend at a NHL level. That probably had a little bit to do with it as well.
I know you don’t believe in analytics, but they say he can do just about everything other than shoot and take dumb penalties at a much higher level than Luke Kunin.

• Love
Reactions: Sandisfan

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I know you don’t believe in analytics, but they say he can do just about everything other than shoot and take dumb penalties at a much higher level than Luke Kunin.
Based on what, his like 15 career NHL games?

Signing in the KHL is a sign he and his agent know Chmevelski would pass through waivers unclaimed aka no organization thinks he’s capable of playing in the NHL.

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
Based on what, his like 15 career NHL games?

Signing in the KHL is a sign he and his agent know Chmevelski would pass through waivers unclaimed aka no organization thinks he’s capable of playing in the NHL.
I thought he played pretty well last year when he was with the big club. I think instead of getting limited minutes in San Jose, and maybe the organization wanting to give another prospect in the org an opportunity with the Barracuda, both sides decided going over seas to further develop was best. Not sure it’s so black and white as, “no organization thinks he’s capable of playing in the NHL”. I don’t completely agree or disagree with your opinion.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
I thought he played pretty well last year when he was with the big club. I think instead of getting limited minutes in San Jose, and maybe the organization wanting to give another prospect in the org an opportunity with the Barracuda, both sides decided going over seas to further develop was best. Not sure it’s so black and white as, “no organization thinks he’s capable of playing in the NHL”. I don’t completely agree or disagree with your opinion.
Sheng says he rejected his qualifying offer.

His rights remain with us so it’s not like he can go to another team. This seems like a money and opportunity thing

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Very painful list for Sharks if your put a lot of trust in Wheeler. Not only is Eklund dropping a decent amount, the Sharks could have had a bunch of players on this list at 11 or even multiple players with the trade down from 11. If you include the honorable mentions the Sharks have 1 prospect in the top 80.
It's one guy's opinion, although I can see why Eklund fell after last year's performance. A few other people who do prospect rankings had Eklund as high as #7 and Bordeleau in the #20 range, so all is not lost based on one person's opinion.,

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
You mean to tell me someone is talking out of their ass...again!
Chmelevski’s agent would have to be a moron to advise him to sign in the KHL if there was a good chance of sticking with the Sharks or being claimed on waivers.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I believe that means he is officially not our property. His rights expire in one year on June 2023 and he wouldnt be able to sign with us before then
Nope.
European player: Sharks have four years after drafting to sign.

And in case you were wondering... Sund, Chmelevski are:
Defected player. Sharks retain rights until age 27.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Nope.
European player: Sharks have four years after drafting to sign.

And in case you were wondering... Sund, Chmelevski are:
Defected player. Sharks retain rights until age 27.
I was just going off what I remembered because he was a CHL drafted player I cannot remember how the rules applied

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I was just going off what I remembered because he was a CHL drafted player I cannot remember how the rules applied
If he was drafted out of CHL (IOW playing there the season before being drafted), then the two year rule applies.

But he was drafted out of Russia, so it's the four year rule.

Ok, I was thinking you were talking about Spiridonov.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
In that case, the Sharks hold his rights, nominally for one more year (drafted out of the Q). But as he signed in KHL, they might be able to claim defected player.

Reactions: themelkman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad