Prospect Info: Sharks Prospect Info & Discussion Thread XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

TEALICIOUS

Nov 29, 2021
Bordeleau had a tip in goal like joe pavelski today, he was most noticeable player for them today. His teammates probably all have there worse performance of the season loss to University minnesoata. Last yr. he was just outstanding. This yr. even though he is at a point per game at the moment, when I watch him play its just looks underwhelming. If he is not on this team, the point might not be a point per game. Im not dissing our prospect, its suck that alot of ppl don't watch his game and just looks at his stats and thinks he is doing fine.

Reactions: NiWa

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
Laroque has been surprisingly really productive this year too. Last year's draft is really intriguing on the back end between Laroque, Guryev, and Kashnikov. Hopefully we have ourselves a little defenseman factory in the works.
Kashnikov and Laroque will be full time Sharks...I'm claiming it. Kashnikov,Guryev, Kniazev..Redwings of the early 90's.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Amazing that according to some here every prospect in the pipeline is destined to play in the NHL even though the Sharks only hit on maybe 10 picks out of 100+ over the last 15 years.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Amazing that according to some here every prospect in the pipeline is destined to play in the NHL even though the Sharks only hit on maybe 10 picks out of 100+ over the last 15 years.

Or 29 who have played in the NHL (2007 draft on).

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Or 29 who have played in the NHL (2007 draft on).

How many are actual impact players (top 9 F/top 4 D/#1 G)? I count ten: Couture, Bonino, Braun, Demers, Coyle, Hertl, Labanc, Meier, Norris, Ferraro. Even if you want to include career fourth liners like McGinn, Nieto and Wingels you can't get higher than 15 who were remotely useful players. Out of something like 105 picks going back to 2006.

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I just googled best drafting nhl teams. Here are the top 2 links.
Ranking the 10 Best Drafting Teams in the NHL
Best and Worst Teams at Finding NHL Players from the Draft

I
wouldn’t call the Sharks the best drafting team in the league but it’s sure hard to call us one of the worst.

First article is from 2014. Anyway it's not that the Sharks are the worst or even below average just that it's objectively insane to expect more than one prospect per draft, if that, to make the NHL in a meaningful capacity as the last 15 years of Sharks draft results should make clear. You're just setting yourself up for disappointment if you seriously think some of these 4th and 5th and 7th round picks are realistically part of the team's future.

NiWa

Nov 27, 2003
Ireland
First article is from 2014. Anyway it's not that the Sharks are the worst or even below average just that it's objectively insane to expect more than one prospect per draft, if that, to make the NHL in a meaningful capacity as the last 15 years of Sharks draft results should make clear. You're just setting yourself up for disappointment if you seriously think some of these 4th and 5th and 7th round picks are realistically part of the team's future.
Curious, which of the the current prospects do you think will turn into solid (let's say top 9 FWD / top 6D / G backup) NHL regulars?

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
There's nothing wrong with being optimistic. The Sharks org has shown the willingness to give said 4th, 5th and 7th rd picks greater opportunities than most teams. Our prospects are performing very well compared to other organizations and their higher touted picks. It doesn't shock me anymore when we unearth these gems year after year. Guys like Weatherby, Reedy, Gregor, Labanc, Khnyzov, pretty soon Hatakka etc. Its not farfetched to think a few of these guys we just drafted in the 2020 and 2021 drafts will be full time NHLers at some point. No one's saying they're going to be HOFers, I'm willing to bet at least one will be a noteworthy contributor that pleasantly surprises us.

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay

Yeah. Most understand that. However, if we want to set ourselves up to be disappointed that’s our own prerogative. I think you confuse people’s interest and hopes with what they actually expect to happen.

In any case, calling an entire community insane for having remotely irrational enthusiasm for their favored team seems to fundamentally misunderstand the bulk of fandom. If we were being completely rational, we would all discuss this team as a collection of multi-national, now or soon to be, millionaires owned by an expatriot billionaire, with little or no ties to this specific community. We’d all give it as much weight as any other capitalist entertainment enterprise meant to separate us from as much money as they can. But most here put that aside to have something to invest some passion into. Because we are fans. It’s just part of the bargain. Your criticism isn’t unique to this community, the Sharks and their draft record, or this sport. It’s literally a feature of nearly every sports fan community around.

Last edited:

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
How many are actual impact players (top 9 F/top 4 D/#1 G)? I count ten: Couture, Bonino, Braun, Demers, Coyle, Hertl, Labanc, Meier, Norris, Ferraro. Even if you want to include career fourth liners like McGinn, Nieto and Wingels you can't get higher than 15 who were remotely useful players. Out of something like 105 picks going back to 2006.

- Demelo
- Tierney
- Balcers

I’ve proven you wrong, your entire argument is now invalid ;)

But having taken the moment to review the entire draft record since 2006, man are there some big disappointments at the top of more than a few drafts (also recognizing the Sharks where without 5 of their 1st rounders AND 5 of their 2nd rounders over the 15 drafts):
- Wishart
- Petrecki
- Mueller
- Boudreau
- Goldobin
- Bergman
- Rod
- Roy
- Gambrell (if not an outright disappointment, underwhelming)
- The entire collection of 3rd rounders.

Last edited:

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
- Demelo
- Tierney
- Balcers

I’ve proven you wrong, your entire argument is now invalid ;)

But having taken the moment to review the entire draft record since 2006, man are there some big disappointments at the top of more than a few drafts (also recognizing the Sharks where without 5 of their 1st rounders AND 5 of their 2nd rounders over the 15 drafts):
- Wishart
- Petrecki
- Mueller
- Boudreau
- Goldobin
- Bergman
- Rod
- Roy
- Gambrell (if not an outright disappointment, underwhelming)
- The entire collection of 3rd rounders.
I mean you look at any team over 15 years and there’s bound to be a good number of disappointments. That doesn’t really mean much

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
This kind of blanket statement is an unfair assessment of the franchise overall and ignores the context of draft picks and prospects as currency. However, it is accurate as a critique of the scouting staff because there have been obvious glaring failures. At the same time, again, it's about full team construction, and not just drafting.

For example, Ty Wishart. He was a 1st round pick, didn't turn into anything, but was part of the trade for Dan Boyle. Does that make him a failed prospect, absolutely, but it doesn't mean he was valueless, and the pick was therefore a failure.

Mirco Mueller is almost as much of a bust as Ty Wishart, but one of the picks acquired for him from NJ was used to draft Mario Ferraro. Failed pick in Mueller, recouped asset because New Jersey inexplicably traded for him.

Julius Bergmann was used to acquire Mike Hoffman from Ottawa. Busted 2nd round pick, used to recoup assets.

The Sharks drafted Linus Karlsson who looks like a bust and they turned him into Jonathan Dahlen, who has been very good this season. Obviously he has to continue his level of play, but if we just look at the Karlsson pick it looks really bad.

O'Regan was dealt for Evander Kane.

Kuraly for Jones. etc. etc.

This isn't to say your comment doesn't have merit, because there are some ugly misses, but it's not that cut and dry.

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
I mean you look at any team over 15 years and there’s bound to be a good number of disappointments. That doesn’t really mean much

Of course, you’re right. I don’t think any team is doing significantly better relative to their draft position. It wasn’t really meant as a criticism. Probably the only picks that were brutally bad, at least in my opinion, where Mueller (because he very likely would have been there without moving up, and if he wasn’t any of Mantha, Burakovsky, Theodore, or Hartman would have been excellent selections at 20) and from the same draft Boudreau (as they entered that draft with three 2nds, traded two, and went way off board for Boudreau who pretty much immediately fizzled as a prospect). That draft, off course with hindsight, was a disaster - 4 picks in the top 60 resulted in Mueller, Boudreau, and Tyler Kennedy. Brutal.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011

Your words were "...destined to play in the NHL...". I am not the one who set the goal post - nor the one who is now trying to move it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad