Prospect Info: Sharks Prospect Info & Discussion Thread XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
In my opinion, you only package him if it is part of a deal for a legit, young but NHL proven 1C like Eichel. Obviously it would be like Merk + Timo + draft pick + something else, but I only package him as part of landing a centerpiece. Otherwise the kid is 20, give him another year or two and see if he develops.
That's exactly what I'm advocating. I wouldn't give him away for a 3rd line center or a fill in player. I want a true difference maker younger than 26. Kinda like when they got Kane or even Jumbo. Younger would be great if possible like Eichel. In general I think they should be shooting for a franchise center though if they can.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
Dude, you said competing not contending. Once you get to the playoffs though any team can be a contender. Not many people had the BLuew as contenders going into he playoffs the year they won the cup. at that point it's a war of attrition and luck with injuries. Last season was a one of the times where the "best" team won it all but that isn't always the case. Quite often that isn't how it works out.
My mistake, but my point stands. The Blues were one of the best teams in the NHL after their head coach changed and they went with Binnington as their starter. It was the same thing that happened in Pittsburgh in 2016. Sure, there are teams that aren't necessarily "the best" who win the Cup every year, but usually it's not a big surprise who does. Even when the Kings won in 2012 as an 8th seed, most people knew they were better than that position and were entirely built for the playoffs.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
My mistake, but my point stands. The Blues were one of the best teams in the NHL after their head coach changed and they went with Binnington as their starter. It was the same thing that happened in Pittsburgh in 2016. Sure, there are teams that aren't necessarily "the best" who win the Cup every year, but usually it's not a big surprise who does. Even when the Kings won in 2012 as an 8th seed, most people knew they were better than that position and were entirely built for the playoffs.
Wasn't Tampa the best team going into the playoffs the year the Blues won it? Sharks were even heavily favored over the Pens going into the final. That's when we all knew they would lose. :laugh: Someone gets upset and it's anybodies cup at that point. You never know who gets hot and who fades. Anyway, with the changes I suggested (loosely borrowed from Jux) they challenge for the 2 or 3 seed this season and have a decent shot at the 2nd round or better depending on injury luck.

Not sure if you have a subscription to Shengs website but he has great info on how the team is actually playing. Over the last 8 or 9 games they are dead even in 5 on 5 scoring (might have been prior to last game). That's after being completely destroyed 5 on 5 in the games prior. Thats including their murderers row go games against Vegas, the Avs and the blues. They've clearly turned a corner as far as how the skaters are playing. The PP is also starting to work with EK65 playing more as we all expect. Give this team average or better goaltending and they can play with most teams out there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
Wasn't Tampa the best team going into the playoffs the year the Blues won it? Sharks were even heavily favored over the Pens going into the final. That's when we all knew they would lose. :laugh: Someone gets upset and it's anybodies cup at that point. You never know who gets hot and who fades. Anyway, with the changes I suggested (loosely borrowed from Jux) they challenge for the 2 or 3 seed this season and have a decent shot at the 2nd round or better depending on injury luck.

Not sure if you have a subscription to Shengs website but he has great info on how the team is actually playing. Over the last 8 or 9 games they are dead even in 5 on 5 scoring (might have been prior to last game). That's after being completely destroyed 5 on 5 in the games prior. Thats including their murderers row go games against Vegas, the Avs and the blues. They've clearly turned a corner as far as how the skaters are playing. The PP is also starting to work with EK65 playing more as we all expect. Give this team average or better goaltending and they can play with most teams out there.
I didn't say the best, but it was no surprise when those teams won. I don't remember the Sharks being heavily favored either, but it's not like the Pens were some underdog. My point is, yes any team can technically compete once they reach the playoffs, but generally whoever wins the Cup isn't a big surprise because it'll usually be a team that either underperformed during the regular season but were clearly built for the playoffs, or just a team that wasn't the Presidents' Trophy winner but had a very very good season otherwise.

I don't think that this team is at its best a bottom-5 team. I think at they're potential they're a bubble team and with a few tweaks, a playoff team. But I don't think they'll be a contender for quite some time because they just need a lot of things to go right and a lot of cap to be moved before they can make any moves that'll make them a contender.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
Man, it’s easy to get excited with Bordeleau, Wiesblatt and Merkley in the wings. I know Merkley has some work to do (they all do) but those are 3 really exciting, creative players. I’m so happy we moved away from the “good work ethic needs to work on his skating” guys.

Gushchin could be a real good one too. Can't wait to see how he develops.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Gushchin could be a real good one too. Can't wait to see how he develops.

I like everyone that they drafted in the first four rounds last year. Wiesblatt, Robins, Bordeleau, Gushchin, and Coe all have significant potential. Maybe not elite but top six skill potential. Gushchin and Bordeleau seem to have some elite potential to them but Wiesblatt, Robins, and Coe can be important players the way they can play.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
I like everyone that they drafted in the first four rounds last year. Wiesblatt, Robins, Bordeleau, Gushchin, and Coe all have significant potential. Maybe not elite but top six skill potential. Gushchin and Bordeleau seem to have some elite potential to them but Wiesblatt, Robins, and Coe can be important players the way they can play.
Going for smallest too six in the nhl?

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
If they could end up like a bunch of Garlands/Gallaghers/Marchands/Marchessaults then it doesn't really matter if they're on the small side
If they all end up like Martin St. Louis then we are made in the shade. All things serious, I care about size a lot less nowadays, skill is more important in today's league. Hertl would probably still be around baring a "rebuild" and we could always sign/trade for a big body or two. It's really refreshing to see the team drafting skill players.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
If they all end up like Martin St. Louis then we are made in the shade. All things serious, I care about size a lot less nowadays, skill is more important in today's league. Hertl would probably still be around baring a "rebuild" and we could always sign/trade for a big body or two. It's really refreshing to see the team drafting skill players.
Size is less important but you can't ice an entirely small lineups. You need a mix so you can push back as needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad