Prospect Info: Sharks Prospect Info Discussion Thread XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I feel like maybe Dubnyk is just a test? If he blows theres really no harm in trying Melni
I think if we get Dubnyk its mainly to buy time as well as get some legit top-9 prospect like Donato/Greenway on the roster as well. I truly doubt we can compete this year for the SC but adding some youth with talent (Donato/Greenway), acquiring a FA top-6 F (Toffoli/Dadanov) and a veteran starting goalie (Dubynk) would give us enough to make it to the playoffs again.

I expect DW's intention to re-tool and still make the playoffs can happen with a move or two.

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
Melnichuk getting a second start in three days (both games against one of the worst teams in the KHL, Amur, featuring former NHL stars Nail Yakupov and Michal Jordan :laugh:).

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Issue is they're not looking for a backup. They wanted a tandem starter that would play 35-40 games with Jones.
Right. That is what I got from DW's comments too. And I think its a good idea to have someone with the experience of a starting goalie to push Jones. Not quite sure if Dubnyk is the guy or not but I am keeping positive that they both are going to have bounce back seasons.

At the same time it gives Melnichuk another year to develop.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
If possible, what SJ should do is bring Melnichuk to play in the AHL this coming season...even if its for the AHL playoffs or something. He does need to get used to the smaller rinks in N.America.

I agree with not rushing him into the NHL this season...with COVID and how crazy the NHL schedule will likely be, its not ideal for him.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
If possible, what SJ should do is bring Melnichuk to play in the AHL this coming season...even if its for the AHL playoffs or something. He does need to get used to the smaller rinks in N.America.

I agree with not rushing him into the NHL this season...with COVID and how crazy the NHL schedule will likely be, its not ideal for him.
KHL is basically on NHL sizing (width varies by a couple meters venue to venue.)

Also he is expected to come to training camp, so likely he will be assigned to AHL from there.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
KHL is basically on NHL sizing (width varies by a couple meters venue to venue.)

Also he is expected to come to training camp, so likely he will be assigned to AHL from there.
Much rather have him in the Bay Area where Nabby can work on him.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Right. That is what I got from DW's comments too. And I think its a good idea to have someone with the experience of a starting goalie to push Jones. Not quite sure if Dubnyk is the guy or not but I am keeping positive that they both are going to have bounce back seasons.

At the same time it gives Melnichuk another year to develop.
I think Melnichuk will see some NHL time this year simply because with the likelihood of injury increased (like we've seen throughout all pro sports leagues since coming back) in this weird schedule. I don't want anyone to get injured or anything, but it feels a bit inevitable to an extent.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I think Melnichuk will see some NHL time this year simply because with the likelihood of injury increased (like we've seen throughout all pro sports leagues since coming back) in this weird schedule. I don't want anyone to get injured or anything, but it feels a bit inevitable to an extent.
Well. He may get called up. But will he actually see the ice?

The fact that we have 2 'starting' goalies in Dubnyk and Jones makes me think that even if 1 got injured, unless it was very early in the season and also long term, the other will simply become the workhorse. Melnichuk would get called up but just ride the bench.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I'm wondering if they expand the rosters in some way similar to how the NFL expanded their practice squad. Kinda like the expanded roster (black aves?) for the playoffs the NHL does every season.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I'm wondering if they expand the rosters in some way similar to how the NFL expanded their practice squad. Kinda like the expanded roster (black aves?) for the playoffs the NHL does every season.
I don’t think AHL teams have a roster limit (or if they do it’s pretty high). I seem to remember a few games where the Cuda had 7-8 scratches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad