Prospect Info: Sharks Prospect Info Discussion Thread XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
If Merkley makes the team in 2021, do you put him on the power play immediately?

The way I'm thinking about it, Karlsson and Burns will probably split 40 minutes per game at even strength between them, so Merkley will only play about 10 minutes per game at even strength. But add on maybe 2 minutes per game on the second power play unit and another 2 minutes of penalty kill and he'll get close to 15 minutes per game.

Use Karlsson and Merkley in the same role on the power play units, with Couture/Hertl/Kane/Burns on the top unit and Meier/Labanc/Thornton/New Guy on the bottom unit? That top unit seems pretty killer, though the specific players would be subject to negotiation and practice. Or maybe play Merkley with Burns so he doesn't have to run the power play himself, and move Labanc to the top unit?

Desert Eagle

May 13, 2019
Europe
We had big problems on defensive side this season and Bob just fixed it. Having Burns, EK65 and Merkley in roster will destroy our D again. Three offensive defenders are too risky, we need physical hard working defensive D on third pair (like a Gudas) or at least two-way D. If DW will trade Burns (or move him on RW) it will open slot for Merkley and give him ice time which he needs. If he will not, Merkley should start in AHL to play without much pressure and get some pro experience. Not need to rush him. Just my opinion.
We don’t know how good Pasichnuk on defensive game but if he is OK, we can try him. The problem that he is LD and Ferraro probably gotta play RD if it happens.

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
We had big problems on defensive side this season and Bob just fixed it. Having Burns, EK65 and Merkley in roster will destroy our D again.
He did that by changing the team's mentality not the personnel.

Unless you want to make the claim that the likes of Davidson, Middleton, Knyzhov, and Heed transformed the defense, those two things are completely unrelated. Besides, the Sharks always played the top 4 in high pressure defensive situations, and I don't expect that to change regardless of who is on the third pair.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
We had big problems on defensive side this season and Bob just fixed it. Having Burns, EK65 and Merkley in roster will destroy our D again. Three offensive defenders are too risky, we need physical hard working defensive D on third pair (like a Gudas) or at least two-way D. If DW will trade Burns (or move him on RW) it will open slot for Merkley and give him ice time which he needs. If he will not, Merkley should start in AHL to play without much pressure and get some pro experience. Not need to rush him. Just my opinion.
We don’t know how good Pasichnuk on defensive game but if he is OK, we can try him. The problem that he is LD and Ferraro probably gotta play RD if it happens.
I'm all for Burns playing wing but I can't see it happening in the next couple years. It would certainly solve a problem with the forwards though... Kane, Meier Hertl and Burns as 4 of the top 6? Holy crap! Add Dadanov to that and you've got a pretty great top 6 IMO.

Jwec

Dec 21, 2015
Finland
I'm all for Burns playing wing but I can't see it happening in the next couple years. It would certainly solve a problem with the forwards though... Kane, Meier Hertl and Burns as 4 of the top 6? Holy crap! Add Dadanov to that and you've got a pretty great top 6 IMO.
If Merkley would be ready for powerplay time and playing in top 4 which is really unlikely I wouldn't be opposed to put Burns on forward! Would solve our top 6 scoring issues AND there would be definite number one in Karlsson on our defense.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
He did that by changing the team's mentality not the personnel.

Unless you want to make the claim that the likes of Davidson, Middleton, Knyzhov, and Heed transformed the defense, those two things are completely unrelated. Besides, the Sharks always played the top 4 in high pressure defensive situations, and I don't expect that to change regardless of who is on the third pair.
Biggest concern is that as Burns continues to grow older (albeit slower than most due to his amazing athleticism and conditioning) and Karlsson deals with injury issues id prefer to not have them carrying a heavy PK load because you have an undersized rookie on the 3rd pairing. Signing someone like Rutta on the cheap to carry some of the PK burden is the route that I’d like to see them go. At least until you resolve what’s happening with Burns and Vlasic in regard to their future in SJ.

Reactions: themelkman

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
If Merkley would be ready for powerplay time and playing in top 4 which is really unlikely I wouldn't be opposed to put Burns on forward! Would solve our top 6 scoring issues AND there would be definite number one in Karlsson on our defense.
Biggest concern is that as Burns continues to grow older (albeit slower than most due to his amazing athleticism and conditioning) and Karlsson deals with injury issues id prefer to not have them carrying a heavy PK load because you have an undersized rookie on the 3rd pairing. Signing someone like Rutta on the cheap to carry some of the PK burden is the route that I’d like to see them go. At least until you resolve what’s happening with Burns and Vlasic in regard to their future in SJ.
Yeah I don't see Merk being ready until mid season at best. personally I would leave him in the minors for most of the season so he can play 25 minutes a night and get used to defending men. If the Sharks did for some crazy reason move Burns to forward I would like to see them sign a stop gap vet to play top 4 for 3 or 4 mil if possible.

Agreed on the PK and Ruuta assuming they clear some cap space.

Last edited:

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Regarding Merkley, I've been seeing (unsolicited) a lot of charts comparing him favorably to star NHL players at the same age. Are there examples of players with the same profile who flamed out? As in, sure, he looks as good as Scott Niedermayer did at 19/20, but did someone like Luke Schenn or Colten Teubert have a similar profile?

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
Regarding Merkley, I've been seeing (unsolicited) a lot of charts comparing him favorably to star NHL players at the same age. Are there examples of players with the same profile who flamed out? As in, sure, he looks as good as Scott Niedermayer did at 19/20, but did someone like Luke Schenn or Colten Teubert have a similar profile?
Ryan Murphy. Darren Raddysh has a similar rookie CHL year and a similar Overage season, but really wasn’t nearly as good in the middle years.

Evan Bouchard scored at a similar rate, but he hasn’t busted yet per se, but not as impressive as one would’ve hoped.

Anthony Deangelo is very similar. I’d say that would be a realistic comparison on what to expect from Merkley.

Reactions: NiWa and themelkman

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
Ibragimov had a big day. I couldn't find a stream but the highlights are up.

His team lost 3-2, but the first goal happened because he cycled through the slot, and pulled a defender out, and his teammate skated right up the middle and scored.

He scored the second goal. It was a bit soft, but pretty good for a first ever upper league adult regular season match.

Assat - TPS Turku 3:2

Watching his preseason games, he has real presence out there, and it feels like his teammates know it. I'm not sure why he is on the third line (other than just joined the team), but when I was watching it felt like his teammates know that when they are unsure, you give him the puck and he will figure it out. I have liked what I have seen from him a lot.

Edit: It looks like he is probably on the third line because Iskhakov (Islanders 2nd round pick 2018) is on the same line as him. Both are Russians on loan, and likely speak no Finnish. That said, Ishkanov also had a goal and an assist, so they will probably both move up the lineup together, but they will probably need to stay on the same line, so the coaches are working around that a bit, and there was only room for them this way.

Last edited:

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

I'd rather go with Nick Jensen in that spot as he seems to be expendable in Washington and has excellent results on the PK but I agree with this line of thinking.

Those two certainly did not have a similar profile in terms of scoring points, no. Teubert and Schenn scored under half a point per game in the WHL in their draft years; Merkley scored over a full point per game in the OHL in his.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
I'd rather go with Nick Jensen in that spot as he seems to be expendable in Washington and has excellent results on the PK but I agree with this line of thinking.
Biggest thing with Jensen is 3 more years at $2.5 mil is a lot of term and $$ to give a bottom pairing D-Man. I agree he would be a nice addition to the D group, but just hate giving term to lesser caliber players. End up with too many Burish, Melker, etc. scenarios. Simek is already on that borderline as well. That said, if you find a way to get a nice haul for Burns and want to play Jensen with Ferraro and Merkley as more of your #4 with Simek then I am fine with that as well since there would be 2 regulars on ELCs thus allowing a little overspend on depth D.

Desert Eagle

May 13, 2019
Europe
Sorensen took part in his first game today in second Swedish league: 1+1, 6 SOG, 23:26 TOI on first line.
Handemark has 0+1, 2 PIM, won 12 of 20 FO.
Ibragimov and Weinger (his first game) had no points, they played together on third line, had 11:17 and 11:47 TOI with “-1”.
Hatakka - 16:32 TOI (in previous game he played 13 minutes) and “+1”.
Hrabik started season in second Czech league and had 7 (3+4) points in 6 games. Now he is in Czech top league and played 1 game, no points, 12:17 TOI

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Also looks like Dahlén played his first game - no points, two shots on goal, -1 rating.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Sorensen took part in his first game today in second Swedish league: 1+1, 6 SOG, 23:26 TOI on first line.
Handemark has 0+1, 2 PIM, won 12 of 20 FO.
Ibragimov and Weinger (his first game) had no points, they played together on third line, had 11:17 and 11:47 TOI with “-1”.
Hatakka - 16:32 TOI (in previous game he played 13 minutes) and “+1”.
Hrabik started season in second Czech league and had 7 (3+4) points in 6 games. Now he is in Czech top league and played 1 game, no points, 12:17 TOI

Question on Hrabik.

Since he was signed to a Cuda contract, is he considered to be a Sharks prospect? Can't any team offer him an NHL contract?

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
I dont know its its just because he has to quarantine for 2 weeks or what but Melnichuk hasnt played or been the backup for the KHL team he was loaned to for the 2 games since hes been loaned. Hopefully he does get in because im excited to see some of his game

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
I dont know its its just because he has to quarantine for 2 weeks or what but Melnichuk hasnt played or been the backup for the KHL team he was loaned to for the 2 games since hes been loaned. Hopefully he does get in because im excited to see some of his game
I'm pretty sure he was loaned and they had a game 2 days later. The other game was before the loan. They have a game at midnight PST, so we will see. Reaction from KHL fans on twitter was mostly that he would instantly be the starter. The team he is going to notoriously has terrible goaltending.

Edit: also he wasn't listed as the backup in any games, so it wasn't like he was clearly available or anything.

Reactions: themelkman

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
I'm pretty sure he was loaned and they had a game 2 days later. The other game was before the loan. They have a game at midnight PST, so we will see. Reaction from KHL fans on twitter was mostly that he would instantly be the starter. The team he is going to notoriously has terrible goaltending.

Edit: also he wasn't listed as the backup in any games, so it wasn't like he was clearly available or anything.
Yeah I kinda realized he was only loaned on october 1st, thought he was loaned earlier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad