Prospect Info: Sharks Prospect Info/Discussion Thread XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Light Lover

Jun 6, 2015
Oakland, CA
I'd like to know how Dahlen's game away from the puck is evolving. I read that was a sticking point for why he was left off the national team. Hopefully his game is rounding out along with his confidence.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Not sure Dahlen has an NHL future. He basically gave up a year of critical development, and wasn't close to securing an NHL spot before.

Red Light Lover

Jun 6, 2015
Oakland, CA
Not sure Dahlen has an NHL future. He basically gave up a year of critical development, and wasn't close to securing an NHL spot before.
I've noticed a few players in the same age range going back to Sweden to develop their game. Jakob Forsbacka Karlsson (BOS) has recently done this and there's someone else I can't recall. I am wondering if this is a new trend for Sweeds?

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I've noticed a few players in the same age range going back to Sweden to develop their game. Jakob Forsbacka Karlsson (BOS) has recently done this and there's someone else I can't recall. I am wondering if this is a new trend for Sweeds?
It'd be less concerning if it was the SHL that Dahlen went back for like Forsbacka Karlsson did but Dahlen went back for Allsvenkan. You can't really compare that level of competition with the AHL or SHL.

Reactions: themelkman

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
This Lafreniere kid is pretty good. Not looking forward to seing him in a Sens Jersey :ha:

Pistol Pete

Dec 17, 2007
This is the Sharks we are talking about, Sens will win the lottery with our pick.
It’s the Sharks that you are talking about. There is still more than half the season left. If you already know the outcome of the season and draft lotto, can you please let me know who will win the cup so that I can put some money on it?

Reactions: Sandisfan

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Forgot to write up last night that I watched Hamaliuk play live. He was... OK. Kelowna lost 6-2. He had 1 assist and 2 PIM and was -1 for the game. His assist came on the 1st goal on the PP. It was a secondary assist that I didn't even know about until today because he wasn't credited with it in the arena (WHL scorekeepers often tend to require scoring changes to add the secondary assist later on. Quite often the goal is announced in-house as being just the primary assist until maybe there's a correction 5-10 minutes later). On that goal he was screening the goalie at the end and though he didn't touch it, he was at least useful there (and having provided the pass before the setup pass).

I felt like he never really showed himself dynamically or noticeably much of the game, to the point that it felt like he wasn't really out there on the ice as much as you'd think for a top 6 foward (on a team that's down some of its players because of the WJC). His skating is bent over and nice at top speed but lacks acceleration. Watching him shoot in warmups he has a decently strong wrister but appears to lack accuracy (he fired a ton of warmup shots well high of the net). He was a little physical, but not noticeably so along the boards, though he did spend a lot of time in front of the net on offence.

I'm just an armchair non-scout and it's only a pair of viewings, but so far he strikes me as a guy with some nice raw tools who could/should be achieving more with them, especially since he was an extremely early birthday, making him very old for his draft class (he missed being 2018-eligible by like 45 days) and because being a 2000 birthday makes this his penultimate year of WHL eligibility (the 20/21 WHL season starting next fall will be his over-age season and overlap with his first year of minor pro eligibility.)

Not saying he's a bust or anything, but at the very least he doesn't jump out at me like Balcers and Blichfeld and to a lesser extent Gregor did.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Forgot to write up last night that I watched Hamaliuk play live. He was... OK. Kelowna lost 6-2. He had 1 assist and 2 PIM and was -1 for the game. His assist came on the 1st goal on the PP. It was a secondary assist that I didn't even know about until today because he wasn't credited with it in the arena (WHL scorekeepers often tend to require scoring changes to add the secondary assist later on. Quite often the goal is announced in-house as being just the primary assist until maybe there's a correction 5-10 minutes later). On that goal he was screening the goalie at the end and though he didn't touch it, he was at least useful there (and having provided the pass before the setup pass).

I felt like he never really showed himself dynamically or noticeably much of the game, to the point that it felt like he wasn't really out there on the ice as much as you'd think for a top 6 foward (on a team that's down some of its players because of the WJC). His skating is bent over and nice at top speed but lacks acceleration. Watching him shoot in warmups he has a decently strong wrister but appears to lack accuracy (he fired a ton of warmup shots well high of the net). He was a little physical, but not noticeably so along the boards, though he did spend a lot of time in front of the net on offence.

I'm just an armchair non-scout and it's only a pair of viewings, but so far he strikes me as a guy with some nice raw tools who could/should be achieving more with them, especially since he was an extremely early birthday, making him very old for his draft class (he missed being 2018-eligible by like 45 days) and because being a 2000 birthday makes this his penultimate year of WHL eligibility (the 20/21 WHL season starting next fall will be his over-age season and overlap with his first year of minor pro eligibility.)

Not saying he's a bust or anything, but at the very least he doesn't jump out at me like Balcers and Blichfeld and to a lesser extent Gregor did.
Thanks for the info Nem.

I have not seen him play at all but I have been point watching a lot of our prospects and he is the one that stands out a lot in a bad way. Drafted early enough (top 60) and having a terrible year. Makes me think that his draft year where he got injured was more of an outlier than anything else. He was never been as close to PPG as he was last season (in the WHL) before he went down and is scoring under 0.5 PPG this season.

Knyazev who was drafted 7 picks higher than him and is a D-man is fairing a lot better and has a higher PPG than Dillon. Spiridonov and Ibramigov are doing well at the MHL as well. Hatakka is not known for his points but seems like a steady D-men as well.

Right now, Hamaliuk is looking like our worst pick in the 2019 draft. Maybe he is still not 100% from last years injury. Atleast we can hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad