Prospect Info: Sharks Prospect Info/Discussion Thread XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
This is probably stretching reality but I could see how a high vision/creativity guy like Merkley could be hard to integrate into a short tournament. Took a while for Peterborough to gel after Merkley got there and when Karlsson got to SJ, it took a long time for the team to really understand how to play with him. But the actual truth is probably just that the defensive side of his game is still too underdeveloped.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
This is probably stretching reality but I could see how a high vision/creativity guy like Merkley could be hard to integrate into a short tournament. Took a while for Peterborough to gel after Merkley got there and when Karlsson got to SJ, it took a long time for the team to really understand how to play with him. But the actual truth is probably just that the defensive side of his game is still too underdeveloped.

I highly doubt that the concern was about the timeframe to integrate highly offensive players like Merkley. It's likely down to a combination of

1) your second suggestion: that Merkley's defensive shortcomings are viewed as too big of an issue to deal with

2) his reputation as a malcontent/jackass/uncoachable twerp will have scared Hockey Canada brass off as they would be especially paranoid about locker room fit and potential "cancers" on the team, especially in a short-term tournament like the WJC where there simply isn't the time to work past things that might cause the team to self-destruct (justified or not)

3) Hockey Canada brass is known to often err on the side of conservatism when it comes to building a team. Sometimes it's more pronounced than others based on coaching preference (I'm looking at you, Tim Hunter-coached 2019 entry. "oh no, we don't need Bowen Byram on the blueline. We've got a bunch of gritty stay-at-home types who can get the job done just fine!" Moron.), but they often tend to gravitate towards "safer", less controversial, and less boom-or-bust type players in favor of good ol' Canadian boys who grind and hustle and give it 130% even if their 130% is less dynamic and impactful than some players' 90%.

Ginger Papa

Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
He's playing the best I've seen him play since my buddy coached him in hist first year of Minor Midget. I'll give credit where it's due. Still lazy at times and a bit out of shape but compared to last season in Peterborough, it's night and day difference. He was brutal last season.

This was posted directly by Mr. Mark Edwards today (to give proper credit) into the Ryan Merkley Thread on the Main Board Prospects Thread. Mr. Edwards is Director of Scouting for Hockey Prospect.com, I do not know how to paste his entire credentialed Post in so hopefully the Quote above will suffice for your reference here.

Thank you for the regular updates on your prospects,

Cheers

Last edited:

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
London Knights hit back at Greyhounds' diving claims

Ryan Merkley is one of the top power-play quarterbacks in junior hockey. His terrific start with London wasn’t enough to earn him an invite to the Canadian world junior camp, so he plans to devote all his energy and focus to keeping the surging Knights winning.

McMichael and Foudy are due to report to the Canadian world junior camp, along with coach Dale Hunter and GM Mark Hunter, on Monday. They are expected to play through Sunday’s game in Guelph.

“I always want to help the team,” said Merkley, the Sharks first-rounder. “That’s the way she goes. It wasn’t up to me. We’ll miss Foudy and McMichael and (Alec) Regula and hopefully, (Jonathan) Gruden, too (the latter two are vying for USA Hockey camp invites). We’ll carry on. Guys like Tony (Stranges) will step up and be a big part of this team coming up.”

This is a homecoming week of sorts for Merkley. The Knights visit Peterborough, who traded him to London, Thursday then finish the week in Guelph, where he spent the first 2½ years of his OHL career.

Merkley hasn’t faced either team yet this season. They are both enjoying strong starts, just like the Knights.

“I think it should be fine,” he said. “I’m looking forward to getting it over with. The Petes are a deep team. They have a good leader in Zach Gallant and they’ve been building for this. Guelph, I don’t think they had the highest expectations, but (captain Cam) Hillis, (Pavel) Gogolev and (goalie Nico) Daws are having great years and good on them.”

Seems like he has a good attitude about it.

Ginger Papa

Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
Watching the Owen Sound@London Knights Game on Sports Net.

Within the first 3 minutes of the game your boy, Ryan Merkley, has already made a highlight-reel play defensively, diving to prevent a break-away when his D Partner made an ill-advised cross-ice pass that was intercepted. Fast feet and a perfect stick sweep knocked the puck away without tripping the attacker. Then on his next shift, he broke up a 2 on 1 with another great play with excellent patience & positioning. His play in his own end is looking so much better than at the beginning of the season. I see what Mark Edwards was talking about.

6:30 left in the First and Ryan with a nice block at the bottom of the circle and then breaks up a pass & clears the zone with a good outlet pass. Note that London is playing their 17-year-old rookie goaltender tonight and Ryan is also on the 2nd pairing. His regular partner is up on the 1st pairing, meaning that Ryan is being trusted to lead his pairing. so far so good.

Ryan was on for the second part of a Double Minor PK (First part was scored against). Ryan was directly responsible for 2 full ice clears, including 1 battle in the corner for a puck which he won and cleared himself against a larger winger, the other he tied up the winger and kicked the puck loose so his winger could clear the puck.

PP to end the Period, Ryan made a few nice passes which led to shots on goal and one nice rush in which he carried the puck all the way from his goal line to the opposition blue line and then set up the PP Unit. They almost scored twice as the period expired. Not to use hyperbole, but his skating with the puck looked a bit like Karlsson. I doubt he even knows what the puck looks like, he doesn't look down at all, just shifts around on his edges weaving up open ice.
Opening the 2nd period the PP had 30 seconds remaining, Ryan set up one more scoring opportunity before it was over. Then at 17:29, Ryan sends a cross-ice knuckle puck backhand pass for a one time shot by his partner to score the Knights first of the game and the camera was filled with stuffed animals!!! It was Teddy Bear night for the London Knights, so it has taken about 15 minutes to clear the ice surface of about 10,000 stuffed animals lol.

After the ice was cleared, London spent a lot of time in the box the rest of the period. As for Ryan's play, I really watched for him to make a mistake so I could include some points for some balance in this Post. However, Ryan continued to play solid, making simple defensive plays regularly and even some smart ones when things didn't go according to plan (one situation where the ref got in his way and the winger was forechecking heavy, Ryan did a spinorama & passed to himself off the refs skate to escape the pressure - very nifty).

When Ryan was on the ice for goals against (2), 1 goal he was left to face a 3-on-1 and the Owen Sound Forwards played it well. The other goal against was an own goal where a Knight winger booted it into his own net and then tried to chop an Owen Sound Attack Forward's foot off afterwards.

Still waiting to see Ryan make a mistake defensively this game, and it's a pretty wide open pace, aside from the lull that followed the stuffed animal clean-up.
About 3 minutes into the 3rd period, 5-2 Owen Sound and London is pressing. Ryan pinches and stays deep to hold it but his team-mate loses it and it goes for a 2-on-1 the other way and ends up in the net. It looked bad, but it's also possible that he was instructed to push being down by 3 goals, so I'll leave it for others to interpret. Another observation of Ryan from his own zone, he has a deadly no-look first pass. He regularly glances up ice as he skates back to retrieve the puck and then as soon as he cradles it, he spins and fires it right on the tape or catching a guy on the fly leaving the zone.

There's about 10:00 left in the 3rd Period & I have to take my little Gingers out to skate with their friends so my Post will have to end there.

Cheers

Edit:cleaned up some spelling & grammar.

Last edited:

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Watching Spokane play live and I gotta say, McGrew looks like a complete bust. I say "looks like" loosely too, because he's so invisible that he might as well not even be out there at all.

:sarcasm:

I know he's not healthy yet.

But at least I get t see Vancouver wearing their sweet Grinch-themed holiday jerseys this weekend, complete with lime green furry-print pants and socks.

2019-12-06 19.50.23.jpg

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
And helmet cover too, @The Nemesis?

Nothing special on the helmets from what I could see. Just that they're red (in spite of red being a primary team color, the Giants' usual helmets are black/white).

They wear the jerseys tonight and on Sunday afternoon for the teddy bear toss game, then auction them off for a local charity benefiting orphans and foster kids.

just to keep things mildly relevant, I'd love the Sharks to use their 2nd rounder on (if he makes it that far) Justin Sourdif. Kane is the lazy comparison, but he's more like the good parts of early years Setoguchi: solid skater, slick hands, plays aggressively, and oozes offensive promise and a scorer's mentality. And because I want another Giant in the system. Even if it didn't go too well last time around. If I can't have Byram, this is the next best option.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Watching the Owen Sound@London Knights Game on Sports Net.

Within the first 3 minutes of the game your boy, Ryan Merkley, has already made a highlight-reel play defensively, diving to prevent a break-away when his D Partner made an ill-advised cross-ice pass that was intercepted. Fast feet and a perfect stick sweep knocked the puck away without tripping the attacker. Then on his next shift, he broke up a 2 on 1 with another great play with excellent patience & positioning. His play in his own end is looking so much better than at the beginning of the season. I see what Mark Edwards was talking about.

6:30 left in the First and Ryan with a nice block at the bottom of the circle and then breaks up a pass & clears the zone with a good outlet pass. Note that London is playing their 17-year-old rookie goaltender tonight and Ryan is also on the 2nd pairing. His regular partner is up on the 1st pairing, meaning that Ryan is being trusted to lead his pairing. so far so good.

Ryan was on for the second part of a Double Minor PK (First part was scored against). Ryan was directly responsible for 2 full ice clears, including 1 battle in the corner for a puck which he won and cleared himself against a larger winger, the other he tied up the winger and kicked the puck loose so his winger could clear the puck.

PP to end the Period, Ryan made a few nice passes which led to shots on goal and one nice rush in which he carried the puck all the way from his goal line to the opposition blue line and then set up the PP Unit. They almost scored twice as the period expired. Not to use hyperbole, but his skating with the puck looked a bit like Karlsson. I doubt he even knows what the puck looks like, he doesn't look down at all, just shifts around on his edges weaving up open ice.
Opening the 2nd period the PP had 30 seconds remaining, Ryan set up one more scoring opportunity before it was over. Then at 17:29, Ryan sends a cross-ice knuckle puck backhand pass for a one time shot by his partner to score the Knights first of the game and the camera was filled with stuffed animals!!! It was Teddy Bear night for the London Knights, so it has taken about 15 minutes to clear the ice surface of about 10,000 stuffed animals lol.

After the ice was cleared, London spent a lot of time in the box the rest of the period. As for Ryan's play, I really watched for him to make a mistake so I could include some points for some balance in this Post. However, Ryan continued to play solid, making simple defensive plays regularly and even some smart ones when things didn't go according to plan (one situation where the ref got in his way and the winger was forechecking heavy, Ryan did a spinorama & passed to himself off the refs skate to escape the pressure - very nifty).

When Ryan was on the ice for goals against (2), 1 goal he was left to face a 3-on-1 and the Owen Sound Forwards played it well. The other goal against was an own goal where a Knight winger booted it into his own net and then tried to chop an Owen Sound Attack Forward's foot off afterwards.

Still waiting to see Ryan make a mistake defensively this game, and it's a pretty wide open pace, aside from the lull that followed the stuffed animal clean-up.
About 3 minutes into the 3rd period, 5-2 Owen Sound and London is pressing. Ryan pinches and stays deep to hold it but his team-mate loses it and it goes for a 2-on-1 the other way and ends up in the net. It looked bad, but it's also possible that he was instructed to push being down by 3 goals, so I'll leave it for others to interpret. Another observation of Ryan from his own zone, he has a deadly no-look first pass. He regularly glances up ice as he skates back to retrieve the puck and then as soon as he cradles it, he spins and fires it right on the tape or catching a guy on the fly leaving the zone.

There's about 10:00 left in the 3rd Period & I have to take my little Gingers out to skate with their friends so my Post will have to end there.

Cheers

Edit:cleaned up some spelling & grammar.

Amazing post. Thank you for the attention to detail that you put into this post.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad