Rumor: Sharks offering Evander Kane a mid to long-term deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
If Kane walks away from San Jose, then my respect for him will be even lower than it already is. It worked out well for him in San Jose, and as much as I dislike Kane, he needs to take this deal because it worked out so well for him in San Jose.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
San Jose is the best place for Evander Kane. He fits in their structure as he doesn't have to be a leader. He can do his thing and be a player in the room. He has no pressure but to play his game.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
He’s been a rather productive player the past two seasons with 28 and 29 goals. His performance with SJ after the trade from Buffalo cements he’s gonna get paid well this summer, whether with San Jose or another team.
Yes I still feel he will be a gamble.

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
I like it, Kane gets way too much hate for doing harmless stuff. With that said anything over 6 is over payment.

hilarnat

Jun 17, 2017
Wilson doesn't need to offer a crazy 6x6 to retain him (I hope for him).

Lots of good reasoning in the previous comments as to how he fits with SJ and if he wants to fit there or pursue elsewhere.
4 x 5.25 or 5 x 4.75 could be win/win.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Wilson doesn't need to offer a crazy 6x6 to retain him (I hope for him).

Lots of good reasoning in the previous comments as to how he fits with SJ and if he wants to fit there or pursue elsewhere.
4 x 5.25 or 5 x 4.75 could be win/win.

I agree with you, there's a good chance that he signs for under 6x6. But it wouldn't be crazy if he did. That does seem like a reasonable number given recent UFA examples and knowing the rest of the FA pool. If Kane hits the market, there's almost no question he will get offered 6x6 from someone.

I hope he does stay in SJ, because he seems to mesh there so well. And, who knows, it could be as low as your suggestions. But I think fans should be happy if the cap hit comes in at a penny under 6 million.

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
Again it depends on the unknown language in the trade clause.

For all we know the clause could say SJ owes a 1at round pick if “Kane is on the SJ roster anytime during the 2018-19 season”.

Yeah, he's not going to ruin his reputation. If he did that, no other GM would ever deal with him again. He either resigns him or he doesn't.

hilarnat

Jun 17, 2017
That does seem like a reasonable number given recent UFA examples and knowing the rest of the FA pool. If Kane hits the market, there's almost no question he will get offered 6x6 from someone.

I agree with you on that, there is at least a GM willing to take that bet (not sure I would though).

The terms I was talking about were from SJS POV because this comes at an extra cost for them because of the R1 pick but you know that. Kane asking more money implies less commitment for him but even more from the Sharks.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
He ain't taking a pay cut. His expired deal was at $5.25 million. 29 goals this year. 28 goals last year. A 30 goal season in Winnipeg. The lockout year was a prorated 29 goals. His office issues are well documented. So is being a consistent goal scorer. He's averaged better than 26 per 82 games played over 574 games.

He seemed to fit in well right away with the Sharks. I saw them looking at an extension, and those around the team hinted at it early on.
You make it sound as if it's up to him to dictate his rate of pay. :huh:
You conveniently left out a whole bunch of other years where he didn't perform. For the most part, he's a 40 pt. winger who is not known for his smarts, either on, or off, the ice. His next contract will also see him leaving his prime.
The toughness that he brings is nice, but is also a style of play that is no longer much of a need in the NHL.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The money isn't really an issue. The term will be based on his injury history to go with his play style. Players like Kane tend to break down pretty quick playing the way he does. I don't suspect Kane will be an effective player throughout the entirety of a six year contract. Most of it probably but not all of it and to get the most out of him, the Sharks need to bring someone in that will be a top center that Thornton hasn't been in a couple years. I sincerely doubt he will only get six mil on his next contract as well. Probably around 6.5 and hopefully only for four years if they keep him. The thing about it is that if they keep Kane then the Sharks are going to make a trade since they will have too many wingers.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
He’s going to get overpaid and the Sharks are going to regret it. He is an effective player, but a flawed one with too much of an injury history to deserve the contract he will get.

Reactions: Flyerfan52

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Kinda strange how he keeps blowing up in contract years, eh?

He's a fantastic fit in San Jose it seems but if they give him money and term I bet they regret it in 2 years.

Reactions: BatVader

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Rumor out there that it’s 6x6.66MM. I’d be fine with that for four years

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
"They offerin' how much?"
1297354140236_ORIGINAL.jpg

Reactions: Getz2perry

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
You make it sound as if it's up to him to dictate his rate of pay. :huh:
You conveniently left out a whole bunch of other years where he didn't perform. For the most part, he's a 40 pt. winger who is not known for his smarts, either on, or off, the ice. His next contract will also see him leaving his prime.
The toughness that he brings is nice, but is also a style of play that is no longer much of a need in the NHL.

He's one of the best UFAs on the market. He basically can. You make it sound like GMs have a history of being stingy. And he's only a "40 point winger" if you round down and ignore injuries.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I honestly think Kane is a good fit on many teams out west... specially the sharks. Hell be on a team that is actually competitive for basically 1st time in his career... playing with a good mix of youngish guys and vets... and I think if he stays healthy he could be a threat for a 40goal guy for a couple years on that contract.

Deleted member 27798

Kane will turn 27 over the summer, is coming off 28 & 27 goal seasons, is finishing a contract that averaged 5.1mil per, and is hitting the UFA market. I would be shocked if he signed for less than 6mil, and there is NO way he is signing for around 5mil regardless of term.

That being said, I am glad he is no longer a Sabre. Buyer beware!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad