Rumor: Sharks offering Evander Kane a mid to long-term deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Guessing they feel confident they have the leadership in the room to turn Evander Kane into a solid citizen and productive impact player.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Perhaps the Sharks were informed Tavares won't be hitting UFA, which compelled them to start get serious with Kane extension talks?

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Guessing they feel confident they have the leadership in the room to turn Evander Kane into a solid citizen and productive impact player.

He’s been a rather productive player the past two seasons with 28 and 29 goals. His performance with SJ after the trade from Buffalo cements he’s gonna get paid well this summer, whether with San Jose or another team.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
So he has his best season in years, and all of a sudden he should get 6M per? Really? I think you're crazy to pay him anything over 4/16M, and even that isn't a gimme. The guy does not have a consistent track record.

Reactions: Flyerfan52

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
So he has his best season in years, and all of a sudden he should get 6M per? Really? I think you're crazy to pay him anything over 4/16M, and even that isn't a gimme. The guy does not have a consistent track record.

He ain't taking a pay cut. His expired deal was at $5.25 million. 29 goals this year. 28 goals last year. A 30 goal season in Winnipeg. The lockout year was a prorated 29 goals. His office issues are well documented. So is being a consistent goal scorer. He's averaged better than 26 per 82 games played over 574 games.

He seemed to fit in well right away with the Sharks. I saw them looking at an extension, and those around the team hinted at it early on.

Crazy Joe Divola

Jun 20, 2009
Perhaps the Sharks were informed Tavares won't be hitting UFA, which compelled them to start get serious with Kane extension talks?

They’ve got enough cap to sign them both and then some so don’t think one would necessarily hang on the other being done or not to precipitate an offer.

Crazy Joe Divola

Jun 20, 2009
He fit in well with the Sharks and the players seemed to like him and want him to come back so I’d be happy to see him re-sign here. Cheaper the better obviously but the Sharks aren’t hurting for cap space so they’ll be fine regardless.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Is there a way they could circumvent the 1st round pick requirement? Perhaps trade away his UFA rights to another team then sign him on July 1st?

We don’t know the full technical details of the trade agreement. But I’d guess there are no loopholes to avoid the 1st round pick. Even if SJ signs him after July 1st.

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
We don’t know the full technical details of the trade agreement. But I’d guess there are no loopholes to avoid the 1st round pick. Even if SJ signs him after July 1st.
Make an agreement with a team. Trade him to that team for a 3rd, send back that 3rd+a second after he's signed.

Probably farfetched and illegal as hell but hey, just talking for the fun of it.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Make an agreement with a team. Trade him to that team for a 3rd, send back that 3rd+a second after he's signed.

Probably farfetched and illegal as hell but hey, just talking for the fun of it.

Again it depends on the unknown language in the trade clause.

For all we know the clause could say SJ owes a 1at round pick if “Kane is on the SJ roster anytime during the 2018-19 season”.

Reactions: Deam78

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
I don’t think Doug Wilson is gonna try to use a loophole to move up 30 spots in the draft. That guy has been around long enough to care about his reputation with the other GMs.

I am gonna guess 5 years at 7 mil. I am okay with that.

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
Again it depends on the unknown language in the trade clause.

For all we know the clause could say SJ owes a 1at round pick if “Kane is on the SJ roster anytime during the 2018-19 season”.
Yeah exactly. I'm pretty sure they have good lawyers preventing that stuff.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Looking like Buffalo is getting either a 2019 or 2020 1st rd pick. Lottery protected for 2019, so if they don't make the playoffs next year, they better dam well hope they make it in 2020.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad