Sharks News/Notes XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Pickles dealing with emotional blow. They lost Kelly recently and Macy died on her birthday yesterday.

Nicky and new dog Molly (IIRC) remain.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
San Jose Sharks: Joe Thornton and Patrick Marleau have different priorities

I know we're in a weird era of the truth not being the truth in the eyes of some, but can people start doing a little bit of research and fact-checking before passing off articles like this? The fact they mentioned the last time the Sharks missed the playoffs but didn't mention the next season's cup run spits directly in the face of their attempt to imply Toronto has better odds at making the finals this year.

Not arguing Toronto isn't a better team or that they don't have a better shot, just arguing lazy writing.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
San Jose Sharks: Joe Thornton and Patrick Marleau have different priorities

I know we're in a weird era of the truth not being the truth in the eyes of some, but can people start doing a little bit of research and fact-checking before passing off articles like this? The fact they mentioned the last time the Sharks missed the playoffs but didn't mention the next season's cup run spits directly in the face of their attempt to imply Toronto has better odds at making the finals this year.

Not arguing Toronto isn't a better team or that they don't have a better shot, just arguing lazy writing.

Only thing wrong with that articke is that it doesn't coddle the sharks fan base. It tells it like it is. This team will not be a playoff team for the remainder of marleaus short career. Which goes against marleau and his entire i want to win a cup before i retire mantra. Where as the leafs can potentially win the cup in thorntons short years left in the league. Which is why i believe he chose to leave, that and i also believe that wilson broke whatever trust thornton had with him last season at the deadline when he didnt even try to trade him.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Only thing wrong with that articke is that it doesn't coddle the sharks fan base. It tells it like it is. This team will not be a playoff team for the remainder of marleaus short career. Which goes against marleau and his entire i want to win a cup before i retire mantra. Where as the leafs can potentially win the cup in thorntons short years left in the league. Which is why i believe he chose to leave, that and i also believe that wilson broke whatever trust thornton had with him last season at the deadline when he didnt even try to trade him.
No, most of us understand the state of the Sharks. There are a lot better ways to make the point that Toronto is better than San Jose than using the bad logic this writer did.

And the ONLY thing I remember hearing about Thornton and the TDL is that Florida had a deal for him and he refused. Guess it's Wilson's fault Joe wanted a nmc and refused a deal. If you have anything regarding any other possible deals, I'd like to see it because I don't recall even seeing teams rumored for him.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
For Thornton, the choice was clear. By his own admission, he needed to “win a Stanley Cup” and knew that wasn’t going to happen in San Jose. No offense to the fine people of the Silicon Valley, but very few teams go from eighth place to the playoffs, let alone from eighth place to the finals

Uhhhhhh, besides the team he JUST left??

And in the same paragraph:

The Toronto Maple Leafs, by contrast, have been a 40-plus win team from 2016-19

As were the Sharks....

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

I don't mind the assertion that Toronto will be a better team. The idea that you can take any sort of understanding of where the two are coming from is problematic. Both want to win the Cup. They're taking different roads to achieve that.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Uhhhhhh, besides the team he JUST left??

And in the same paragraph:

As were the Sharks....

Why do people act like the sharks team that missed the playoffs in 2014-15 was this massively horrible team?

Its a team that won 40 games and 89 points.

The difference between the 2014-15 team and the 2015-16 team was 6 wins and 9 points.

For the sharks of current to replicate that kind of so called magic that shark fans love to preach. They would need to win at minimum 11 more games and gain 30 more points.

Reactions: TomasHertlsRooster

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I don't mind the assertion that Toronto will be a better team. The idea that you can take any sort of understanding of where the two are coming from is problematic. Both want to win the Cup. They're taking different roads to achieve that.

So if thornton left to go to detroit, you would honestly try and sit there and try to explain that he wants to win the cup?

San jose is no closer to a cup then any of the bottom feeders in the league, the fact marleau chose one over a potential contender shows comfort and familiarity is more important to him at this stage in his career then winning is. Nothing wrong with that but don't try to lie to the fans that can see past the lies.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
So if thornton left to go to detroit, you would honestly try and sit there and try to explain that he wants to win the cup?

San jose is no closer to a cup then any of the bottom feeders in the league, the fact marleau chose one over a potential contender shows comfort and familiarity is more important to him at this stage in his career then winning is. Nothing wrong with that but don't try to lie to the fans that can see past the lies.
I mean that's been the dig at party since ..... Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad