GDT: Sharks @ Kings 7:00pm Leonard returns

seroes

May 3, 2016
California
lol! Gotta watch BBs interview... He's clearly had enough of this shit with Jones. The comment about having a good first period but down 3 nothing..? He's blaming that all on Jones. He was saying the "team" played a good period but Jones sucked ass. He doesn't even sugar coat it. I would expect Melni to start next game if Dubnyk isn't ready to go yet. I can't remember the last time I saw a coach throw their goalie under the bus the way he did in that interview.
IF Melnichuk is ready. He probably needs more time adjusting to NA ice before being thrown to the wolves. If Dubnyk is ready by all means let's ride him but the best we can hope for with Jones right now is using him to shield Melnichuck's confidence then let's do that and when Melnichuk is ready send Jones to rot in the Baricuda.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
IF Melnichuk is ready. He probably needs more time adjusting to NA ice before being thrown to the wolves. If Dubnyk is ready by all means let's ride him but the best we can hope for with Jones right now is using him to shield Melnichuck's confidence then let's do that and when Melnichuk is ready send Jones to rot in the Baricuda.
I agree but you gotta see BB's interview. He looks and sounds pissed. Yeah, ideally Dubnyk starts the majority of games from here on out but that didn't sound like a coach who was going to play Jones in the next game. He was even sarcastic about pulling Jones to "get him some rest". Lot of stank on the way he said it.

Reactions: Napreemer

seroes

May 3, 2016
California
I agree but you gotta see BB's interview. He looks and sounds pissed. Yeah, ideally Dubnyk starts the majority of games from here on out but that didn't sound like a coach who was going to play Jones in the next game. He was even sarcastic about pulling Jones to "get him some rest". Lot of stank on the way he said it.
Let's see. If Jones gets waived tomorrow I will laugh all day.

Harbessix

Jun 2, 2010
Halifax, NS
I know this was a little joke in the last game thread I believe but seriously where is John Madden? There’s no way he’s still waiting on a work visa or still quarantining. I find it really odd how none of the reporters have asked Boogie what the deal is.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
lol! Gotta watch BBs interview... He's clearly had enough of this shit with Jones. The comment about having a good first period but down 3 nothing..? He's blaming that all on Jones. He was saying the "team" played a good period but Jones sucked ass. He doesn't even sugar coat it. I would expect Melni to start next game if Dubnyk isn't ready to go yet. I can't remember the last time I saw a coach throw their goalie under the bus the way he did in that interview.
Link to BB interview

Solmors

<3 Data
May 3, 2010
San Jose
I'm still confused by that non-GI call and whole sequence.
  • Kings on 5v4 PP after Kane's slash
  • Burns high sticks Brown
  • Delayed penalty for the high stick
  • Brown goes down and crashes into Jones
  • Jones can't get up after being run down and Kings score
  • Sharks challenge for goaltender interference
  • Challenge disallowed and Sharks penalized for delay of game
  • Burns goes to the box for his high stick and Meier for the DoG
  • Kings now on 2:00 5v3 PP
So my questions:
  1. Why were the Sharks not allowed to challenge that for GI?
  2. If you get high sticked are you allowed to take out the goaltender as you flop to the ice?
  3. Since they scored on the delayed penalty, why did Burns still have to go to the box?
  4. If there is a delayed penalty on a PP and you score, does it always end the current PP and start the new?

burple

Sep 30, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Jones should not start another game with the Sharks, contract or no contract. I've played with beer league goalies who move left to right better than he does. He's simply not an NHL goalie and after three years, it's time to move on from him. Melnichuk should start the next game.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
I'm still confused by that non-GI call and whole sequence.
  • Kings on 5v4 PP after Kane's slash
  • Burns high sticks Brown
  • Delayed penalty for the high stick
  • Brown goes down and crashes into Jones
  • Jones can't get up after being run down and Kings score
  • Sharks challenge for goaltender interference
  • Challenge disallowed and Sharks penalized for delay of game
  • Burns goes to the box for his high stick and Meier for the DoG
  • Kings now on 2:00 5v3 PP
So my questions:
  1. Why were the Sharks not allowed to challenge that for GI?
  2. If you get high sticked are you allowed to take out the goaltender as you flop to the ice?
  3. Since they scored on the delayed penalty, why did Burns still have to go to the box?
  4. If there is a delayed penalty on a PP and you score, does it always end the current PP and start the new?

There were TWO delayed penalties on that sequence. Ferraro had taken a penalty too, but that was the one negated by the goal being scored. And the Sharks were able to challenge GI, and the refs said it wasn't GI, hence the extra penalty. The confusion is all because Randy didn't know what he was talking about. To be fair to Randy, nobody could hear what the refs were saying when their mics were on.

Reactions: Solmors

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Our Defense is not anywhere even remotely close to miles better than Dal.

Stats seem to support the opposite. Dallas is ranked #9 in GA/G while the Sharks are ranked 3rd from last. Sales is ranked #7 in SA/G, while Sharks are ranked 7th from last.

Goalies comparison is similar. Both teams split their goaltending among a pair. Their top SV% and the Sharks (Dubnyk) are neck in neck in the league rankings, but the other comparison is not. Jones SV% is 3rd from last in the league.

Burns and Karlsson cannot play defense in the NHL to the level of their reputation or contract. They here for offensive, but what is lacking is a top defense oriented pairing like Braun/Vlasic in their prime. The coach doesn't have a shutdown defense pair to put in for a shift when he needs it.

Reactions: Dicdonya

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
There were TWO delayed penalties on that sequence. Ferraro had taken a penalty too, but that was the one negated by the goal being scored. And the Sharks were able to challenge GI, and the refs said it wasn't GI, hence the extra penalty. The confusion is all because Randy didn't know what he was talking about. To be fair to Randy, nobody could hear what the refs were saying when their mics were on.

It’s not true that there were two delayed penalties. It was just Burns. The reason why it was a two minute two-man advantage is because Kane was already in the box. When the goal was scored, his penalty expired and Burns plus the DoG started.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Steve Kozari and Ian Walsh are f***ing idiots. That’s the only explanation needed for their senselessness.

Reactions: Alwalys

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Jones has a GAA of 4.07, SV% 0f.865 in 8 starts. I mean its baffling. I figured last 2 seasons were pretty much rock-bottom for Jones and assumed he could not get worse. I was wrong.

On the stranger side, I looked at NHL stats for worst SV% with atleast 5 GP. Jones was 3rd worst behind Jarry (Pens) and Hogberg (Sens). So things could get worse.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
The thing is, it needs to get a lot better for the team to start doing better in the standings because they are very fortunate to be where they are right now.

View attachment 395463

Right now the team's goal differential is -1.25 per game. Based on the trendline here, we would expect the team to have obtained 0.71 points per game thus far which equates to 8.5 points - so they've earned about 2.5 more points than you'd expect based on goal differential. If you look at them specifically (the team with -1.25 goal diff and 0.92 points per game), they are one of the teams furthest above the trendline, meaning they are fortunate to have this many points.

Based on their current points percentage, you would expect a goal differential of about -0.63 goals per game, which is almost exactly in line with their goal differential per game last season of -0.64. I think they will see some regression to the mean and play at about a -0.63 goal differential per game for the rest of the season and roughly maintain this points percentage. That would see them finish with about 51 points and a -43 goal differential.

There is a chance that they improve further than the +0.62 goal differential per game I am assuming, but there is also a strong chance they improve less than that. And for them to be anywhere near the playoffs at season's end, they will need to massively improve their goal differential, as you can not make the playoffs with anything near a -1.25 goal differential per game; the shootout luck will run dry.
I completely agree they’ve been getting lucky. I meant to imply that their overall play couldn’t get much worse. They’ll need to raise their level quickly if they want to prove me right.

Reactions: themelkman

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I don't think I've gone from liking a coaching fast to disliking it as fast as I have with this one. So many promises about defensive system and advanced analytics. The team has seemingly implemented the opposite of everything that was promised on top of that there's an aversion to playing rookies.
I was thinking the same thing man. I had hope last year, the team was starting to play better towards the end of the season. The goalies numbers were improving too. But this year, it has regressed.

This season is a lost season anyway so firing his mid-season may be pointless. I don't see BB as the Sharks head coach next season unless this team starts playing significantly better. I truly hate Torts but that is what this team needs. A coach who does not give a crap and is ok benching passengers or players who refuse to play the system. It does not make sense when rookies are getting severely punished for minor mistakes or taking one shift off whereas players like Couture or Vlasic get a pass through whole games where they are terrible.

I know our team generally has player friendly coaches but its time for a change since it certainly is not getting it done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad