GDT: Sharks @ Kings 7:00pm Leonard returns

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
To be fair, Dubnyk had one fantastic game, with a few others that haven't been great, just better than Jones. They're still not getting really good goaltending most of the time either way.
Disagree. Dubnyks first game was rough but since then he's been above average IMO. Team just needs to actually score with him in net.

Reactions: TomasHertlsRooster

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
It's a little of everything, likely. A combo of the system in place defensively, the personnel supporting him, a hot run, there not being a complete "book" on him yet because he was new as a starter, wear-and-tear/injury potential, snowballing confidence, and overall team performance.

and also, like one2gamble said, goalies are voodoo. The moment you think you've got one figured out things will go sideways.
30+ years of playing the sport and I've known maybe a handful that weren't some level of batshit crazy. All but one of the best ones I've known were the most crazy.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Injuries, better scouting on him, and he was never a very athletic goalie to begin with. Defensive system to some degree.
As far as the system, Sheng has a great couple articles from the last few days that basically show the team defense is about the worst in the NHL or close to it. He doesn't absolve Jones but the teams play sure isn't doing him any favors. I don't know at this point if it's still working out how to play the system properly or if it's just flawed for this group of players. It seemed to make leaps and bounds as far as HD chances and slot shots last season after BB took over but now with everyone seemingly healthy its regressed again. They might have been better off playing the same system they finished the season with considering how well a number of bottom 6 players and Donato and even Dubnyk are playing.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
The question becomes though, is he a worse skater because he's physically declined, or is he a worse skater because he's checked out and no longer feels beholden to giving sufficient effort to be as good as he can be?

Probably a combination of both, but I'd say more of the latter. Incontrovertibly, his 2019 playoffs were fantastic. Unless one happens to think that it was just the mathematical stars aligning in a sublimely coincidental manner, it appears that Vlasic's engagement was the deciding factor.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

NiWa

Nov 27, 2003
Ireland
Pretty crazy to think now that Jones was .918/.912/.915 in three straight seasons followed up by .923/.935/.928 in the playoffs. I mean, those playoff numbers are stellar.

I'm really curious what makes someone just suddenly decline like that. Defensive system? Confidence? Who knows

Regarding Jones declining suddenly after having three straight good seasons, I remember discussion around the equipment changes. Given his particular playing style, wouldn't surprise me it's at least part of the decline...

Source: Explaining the NHL Rule Changes for 2018-19 Season

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007
Jones, sure. Because goalies are voodoo.

But the Vlasic one is puzzling because by all rights Vlasic shouldn't have imploded like this. He played a smart, skill-based game that relied on positioning, stick skills, and manipulating the opponent. He's not out there relying on elite skating or physical intimidation or degradable offensive skills. And his physical skill package overall hasn't really fallen apart. Instead it's like he just shut his brain off and no longer cares. And how often do you ever see that happen?

Is Vlasic overpaid relative to the full-rink value he provides? Yeah probably. But if we went back in time 5 years and you asked me which Sharks would be the safest bets to live up to whatever contract they might sign (in relative terms), Vlasic would've probably been at the top of the list. The fact that he's just fallen off the face of the earth is baffling.

Maybe this isn't the only factor, but I find it weird that the Sharks have invested more in skill-based defenders, yet expect them to play style meant for big n stout bodies. I'd expect peak Karlsson/Vlasic/Burns/etc.. to be better at using mobility and a quick stick to dislodge the puck and swipe it out of the zone. But, they're told to stand around the net, try to get the puck, shield it with their rear end, then initiate the breakout - a game meant more for a physical D.

I guess I wonder if part of Vlasic's decline is that he followed orders too closely. He bulked up when told to and only uses the techniques the coaches dictate. Maybe he once complained loudly, but the coaches told him that he's getting paid to obey? Or maybe he's just conditioned to turn it on in the playoffs.

Reactions: Alwalys

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Just so we are clear, I thought we were talking about Brent Burns trashing Jones lol
Dude... From the comment you replied to asking for the video...

" I can't remember the last time I saw a coach throw their goalie under the bus the way he did in that interview."

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
Dude... From the comment you replied to asking for the video...

" I can't remember the last time I saw a coach throw their goalie under the bus the way he did in that interview."
I know. I didn't read it all just glimpsed. All I saw was BB was pissed at Jones visibly in the interview .

BB has always been an acronym for Burns since he arrived. Never realized the coach had the same initials lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->